Why? But to good to pass.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sc00ter

Why? But to good to pass.

Post by sc00ter »

A local motorcycle dealership used to sell Genuine back when the Stella was a 2 stroke. They eventually lost the franchise and that was that. So I'm looking for front brake pads for a Buddy 50 and just happened to stop by thinking they may have the EBC pads in stock. Surprise! I got a whole box of dead stock for $60! Mostly maintenance. I got to name the price and that was very fair to me. Got 2 50cc Buddy drive belts. 2 125cc Buddy belts. New LED brake light for a Buddy. Air filter box for a T-Rex? Think its for a RH50. Front brake hose for a Buddy. Bunch of 50cc brake pads-front and rear. Locking gas cap with keys for a Blur? Maybe a RH50. Plus a bunch of Stella 2 stroke small parts. Random panels for a Buddy 50 (baby blue front end). Brake levers for a Buddy, like 8 sets worth. Bunch of exhaust gaskets. 5 air filters. Tons of other random small things. Everything is still sealed in the factory packing. I dont even own a Buddy at the moment!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Time to buy a Buddy 125. It is a great scooter and you are already one up on parts. :wink:
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Here's how I ended up with a box of dead stock. I originally went to my local Genuine dealer. I go to the parts counter and ask the kid if they had Buddy 50cc front brake pads on stock. The kid says he's not sure and goes to find someone else. Kids walking back with a guy and I overhear the guy go "I don't think we have them but I know the pads are expensive!". Guy pulls out a box of random pads and I don't see the ones I need. Guy says he can order them for me. I ask how much and he says $48! For Prima brand front Buddy 50cc pads. I understand brick and mortar and all that but $48 for Buddy 50cc brake pads? This is the same shop that said they charge $50 to change a tire OFF the scooter/carry-in! Since no other shop around won't work on China scooters this shop has some kind of monopoly, and poor Genuine falls into this category since he sells them.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

TBH, Genuine's parts pricing is insane, bordering on criminal.

I wanted to buy a new OEM front brake caliper for my '08 150. List price is $129!

By contrast, I can waltz into a Ford dealer and buy a front brake caliper for a 2008 F-150. List price on that is $105!

Sure, there are economies of scale and whatnot, but I suspect Genuine pays no more than $30 for that caliper.

It's mad!
tenders

Post by tenders »

So...don't buy them there. NCY pads, $25 via Amazon. I saw another manufacturer's set for $20.

https://www.amazon.com/NCY-1000-1314-Pe ... 00GBJZ2WK/
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

tenders wrote:So...don't buy them there. NCY pads, $25 via Amazon. I saw another manufacturer's set for $20.

https://www.amazon.com/NCY-1000-1314-Pe ... 00GBJZ2WK/
eggsalad was talking about a caliper. You're talking about brake pads.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
tenders

Post by tenders »

I was referring to anyone who finds themselves in sc00ter’s initial position of being quoted absurd prices for brake pads.
KABarash

Re: Why? But to good to pass.

Post by KABarash »

sc00ter wrote:A local motorcycle dealership used to sell Genuine back when the Stella was a 2 stroke. They eventually lost the franchise and that was that. So I'm looking for front brake pads for a Buddy 50 and just happened to stop by thinking they may have the EBC pads in stock. Surprise! I got a whole box of dead stock for $60! Mostly maintenance. I got to name the price and that was very fair to me. Got 2 50cc Buddy drive belts. 2 125cc Buddy belts. New LED brake light for a Buddy. Air filter box for a T-Rex? Think its for a RH50. Front brake hose for a Buddy. Bunch of 50cc brake pads-front and rear. Locking gas cap with keys for a Blur? Maybe a RH50. Plus a bunch of Stella 2 stroke small parts. Random panels for a Buddy 50 (baby blue front end). Brake levers for a Buddy, like 8 sets worth. Bunch of exhaust gaskets. 5 air filters. Tons of other random small things. Everything is still sealed in the factory packing. I dont even own a Buddy at the moment!
OK, so for how much would you sell me a set of brake levers, a few exhaust gaskets and an air filter or two?
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

eggsalad wrote:TBH, Genuine's parts pricing is insane, bordering on criminal.

I wanted to buy a new OEM front brake caliper for my '08 150. List price is $129!

By contrast, I can waltz into a Ford dealer and buy a front brake caliper for a 2008 F-150. List price on that is $105!

Sure, there are economies of scale and whatnot, but I suspect Genuine pays no more than $30 for that caliper.

It's mad!
And a caliper for a Vespa PX is...$129. Just buy the Ford caliper, modify it, modify your scooter and make it fit. How hard could that be?

I can find some cheap ass crap but with brakes, well they are kind of important so I'll spend the money for good parts.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

I don't mind paying money for good parts. I do mind paying obscene markups on good parts.