Fast idle

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Franks scoot

Fast idle

Post by Franks scoot »

2007 buddy 125, starts fine , no problem, but does not drop out of high idle all the time. Also when it does drop out and idle it will occasionally hang up on idle high again. Choke issue maybe?
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

You might check to see if the black rubber sleeve that covers the end of the throttle cable where it connects to the carburetor has shifted. I had my 125 stop revving back down on a ride a year or two back (I had to hold the brakes tightly at stop lights and stop signs because it was revved up so high and wanted to run) and couldn't understand what happened. As it turned out, the rubber sleeve had pulled loose from the cable and slid up underneath the connection point to the carburetor so the rotating part that the throttle cable connects to/pulls against could not fully rotated back int the close/idle position. Kind of a one-off scenario, but if it affected me it might be affecting you.
Franks scoot

Post by Franks scoot »

Thanks for suggestion , did check that, cable has slack. Just acts like choke drops to low idle , then idle hops back up. May have to tear apart and clean, was hoping someone had this problem and found it was electric choke needed replacement.
vintagegarage

Post by vintagegarage »

The idle circuit in your carb may be blocked, and so you may be idling on the main jet. In other words, you have the idle speed screw adjusted in so far that the engine will "sort of idle", without using the idle circuit. The first question to ask is "has the scooter ever sat without being started for more than 3 years in a row any time in it's lifetime"? The second question to ask is, "when you turn the air bleed screw in and out when the engine is idling, does it have any effect?". If the answer to the first question is yes, and the second is no, then very likely, your idle circuit is blocked and you need to clean it out.

The workshop manual calls the air bleed screw, the Fuel Adjusting Screw. To clean out the idle circuit, remove and clean the slow jet. Remove the Fuel Adjusting Screw and blow compressed air into the hole that it came out of, and then reassemble the carb.
Franks scoot

Post by Franks scoot »

Well, I got a chance to take carb out (surprisingly easy!) dropped the bowl, was very clean , removed the jets and cleaned, the carb horn was a little cruddy, slaped back together and I "think" the problem is solved! Idle dropped down like it should, no hanging idle and maybe it's me, but scoot sounds a little different. Best way to describe is "lower sound from idle". Thanks to everyones response, only drove a liitle so will know more tomorrow