So How old are you?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

So How old are you ?

Still in school
11%
Out of school, but not married
18%
I got the wife, I got the kids, I got the mortgage
51%
Kids are gone, just me and the missus having fun!
12%
The grandkids like it when I tell war stories
6%

Total votes: 185

KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Valgal20 wrote:23- wish I was outa' school- but 8+ more years to go (On my way to Vet school) :cry: Single (No Children for me-Ever!) PetParent of 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 mudskippers and 30 goldfish. Cant wait to get a scooter- to save gas on the way to school, and work (Petsmart). AND getting a scooter might actually lead to getting a social life- Scooter World- Here I come! PS- ANyone want some goldfish?
(Wish I could say these ones were mine- Mine are not quite as fancy- but I do have these breeds)
Yikes, that's a lot of fish... I really love goldfish tho, I did some pen & ink drawings of those EXACT SAME BREEDS for my sister's bathroom. Sorry to change the subject, but I just thought it was ironic. I used to have a black moore and a ryukin, but that was like HIGH SCHOOL! I want to get summore, but my cat is pretty sneaky... even with a tank cover I'm sure it would be mysteriously missing when I get home from work. Anyways... back to the scooterist age discussion...
Attachments
ryukin2.jpg
ryukin2.jpg (52.67 KiB) Viewed 2122 times
oranda2.jpg
oranda2.jpg (50.15 KiB) Viewed 2122 times
moor2.jpg
moor2.jpg (49.57 KiB) Viewed 2122 times
lionhead2.jpg
lionhead2.jpg (51.39 KiB) Viewed 2122 times
bubble eye2.jpg
bubble eye2.jpg (49.89 KiB) Viewed 2122 times
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

I'm 33 and the AARP sends me pre-approved memberships! The best are the packets with the ads for hoverround scooters, adjustable beds, large key phones, miracle ear 2000 etc. Hey, I thought you grow old not stupid... crappy products are crappy products large buttons or not. Direct marketing makes me laugh. :lol: I figured out that you must grow old, not up. Keep scootin' and act like your next birthday will never get here.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Birthday? BIRTHDAY?? Wasn't today my birthday???

...no, wait a minute...that wasn't me...

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
louie

Post by louie »

happy birthday to ? then
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

I'm dittoing Drumwoulf. Old is a state of mind. How can anyone be old when they ride a Buddy? :D

I switched from riding motorcycles to scooters a year ago because scooters are easier to ride when wearing dress clothes. I get teased a lot by my Harley owning friends at work, but I point out that I ride my scooter nearly every day. (That usually quiets them for a while.)

As for age, let's just say that I may be on AARP's radar but I am still in school and would have to count cats as kids.

PasadenaSue
Da'Gnome

Post by Da'Gnome »

and just shy of 40....and holding 8)
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I'm 44, married 22 years to one wife and have one daughter, currently one each mortgage, dog, and cat. In my book the dog and cat don't count as kids though they are valued members of the family.

My wife is gradually warming up to the scooter idea now that I've had it a year and a half and haven't quit yet. I hope to get her to ride with me this spring/summer.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
lojical1

Post by lojical1 »

Thats some nice stippling there krustyburger. Are you an artist for a living?

BTOP (back to original post haha, yeah I made that up) I'm out of school, possibly going back, 1 cat, 1 life partner, 1 scooter for me and one for him. We are the next American Dream :P
"I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive."
-Spike Spiegel

If ur not scared u aint drivin' fast enough .
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

lojical1 wrote:Thats some nice stippling there krustyburger. Are you an artist for a living?
thanks, but no. I work at Lowe's... I'm going to school tho for graphic design to (hopefully) get a job in advertising, like magazine layouts & billboards & stuff... I don't know if I'll like it :| , I just wanna make some MONAY HONAY! I guess you never really know til you're doin it everyday.

OK, BTOP! <I'll def have to use that one cuz I DO GO OFF ON TANGENTS! I'm 22, sorta in school (I only take one class on the weekend), I'll be done next semester... I used to have a cat, but she was hit by a car in December and I had to put her to sleep :cry: :cry: :cry: ...

That prolly has something to do with why I wrecked a couple days ago, I REALLY didn't want to hit somebody's cat!!! In my neighborhood, chances are they weren't as attached to theirs as I was to mine, or it could've been a stray... but still. I want to get a new kitty, but I just haven't found the right one yet. No hubby, not even close... I dunno what the deal is!
ERik3tb

Post by ERik3tb »

KRUSTYburger wrote: That prolly has something to do with why I wrecked a couple days ago, I REALLY didn't want to hit somebody's cat!!! In my neighborhood, chances are they weren't as attached to theirs as I was to mine, or it could've been a stray... but still. I want to get a new kitty, but I just haven't found the right one yet. No hubby, not even close... I dunno what the deal is!
That's how I had my first (and only) motorcycle accident. I served to miss my sister's pet rabbit that had gotten out and ended up with the bike in a tree.

Otherwise, I'm 38, married to the girl of my dreams and have a 2 year old. And servant to 2 very persnickity cats.
bushbaby

Post by bushbaby »

danged hetero-phallo-centric surveys.

I'm 41. No kids. No partner. No pets; I've got tenants (6!), which are kind of similar, but pay rent and feed themselves. Just purchased my second 2007 cream Buddy 125, after #1 was stolen. Didn't miss it much this winter, but really looking forward to spring! Not only do I ride a scooter but I like to draw too. Mom's theory was that being gay was a form of arrested development, but it looks like a lot of breeders also ride scooters well into their maturity.

Keep your wheels on the ground, and keep reaching for the throttle.
Attachments
28corner.gif
28corner.gif (2.28 KiB) Viewed 1973 times
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

KRUSTYburger wrote:
lojical1 wrote:Thats some nice stippling there krustyburger. Are you an artist for a living?
thanks, but no. I work at Lowe's... I'm going to school tho for graphic design to (hopefully) get a job in advertising, like magazine layouts & billboards & stuff... I don't know if I'll like it :| , I just wanna make some MONAY HONAY! I guess you never really know til you're doin it everyday.
I do it every day. My advice: business school! :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
justscooten

Post by justscooten »

36 married 13 years a 2 year old son to elderly greyhound . house, 3 cars the hole lot etc......... hay krusty great pointalizom... ( i dont think i spelled that right) ha ha
maribell

Post by maribell »

21. Still in school. Minimum of two years to finish engineering degree + minor. Boyfriend. No kids, not for at least 10 years. I am trying to put that of as loooong as possible.
Valgal20 wrote:[ ANyone want some goldfish?
no, thanks. I have 11 bettas that all live in separate jars plus a five gallon tank. We are at maximum fish capacity.

I do miss having a fuzzy pet though....
twharton

Post by twharton »

Poll definitely needs more options.

Wife kids (2 girls, 20 & 16) and own my home no mortgage :lol:

One is gone(in college) but will probably come back. The 16 yr old is too cool for this world and can't wait to leave but I bet she's back in 10-15 years.

Wish I didn't have to work so I could scoot, windsurf, build that sailboat, etc.

Oh yeah I'm 47....Here I am Mardis Gras day on Pensacola beach.

twharton
Northwest, FL
"Where thousands live the way millions wish they could!"
MaxPotter

Post by MaxPotter »

[quote="bushbaby"]danged hetero-phallo-centric surveys.

:rofl:

53. No kids. No partner. One cat.
GaryEPSP

Post by GaryEPSP »

littleao wrote:Thats cool. Back when Sears was everything. I was in a house in farmingdale, ny that was supposed to have been a mail order delivered in sections to its location and assembled on the site. It was only a couple of blocks from the rail road. Might be a tale.

Sorry this is off topic.

I'm a 45 year old dreaming Red Blooded Weenie
1cyl wrote:I'm 58.:shock: I got my 1st Vespa at the original Vespa Botique. (Sears) in 1961! :D
Your Sears house is not a tale. I grew up in a Montgomery Wards house in Nebraska. Sears and Roebuck were the leaders at the turn of the century for model homes. They delivered the wood and the plans and you put it together. No B. S.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

GaryEPSP wrote:
littleao wrote:Thats cool. Back when Sears was everything. I was in a house in farmingdale, ny that was supposed to have been a mail order delivered in sections to its location and assembled on the site. It was only a couple of blocks from the rail road. Might be a tale.

Sorry this is off topic.

I'm a 45 year old dreaming Red Blooded Weenie
1cyl wrote:I'm 58.:shock: I got my 1st Vespa at the original Vespa Botique. (Sears) in 1961! :D
Your Sears house is not a tale. I grew up in a Montgomery Wards house in Nebraska. Sears and Roebuck were the leaders at the turn of the century for model homes. They delivered the wood and the plans and you put it together. No B. S.
Prefab homes are a huge trend in architecture right now—they're back and cooler than ever.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ebcspace

Post by ebcspace »

old enough to get the ads from the scooterstore... for mobility.

the transition should be smooth with the experience gained on the buddy.

married, with a mortgage, and the primary supplier of cat, bird, and duck
food in the house. :)
scoot on!
brimstone

Post by brimstone »

33, married 9 years, 2 daughters, mortgage, 3 cats, 07 rattler 110, 98 honda accord and an xterra in a pear tree.
Queen

Post by Queen »

I'm a couple of years shy of AARP membership and am selling my motorcycle (today as a matter of fact) to buy a Buddy 125. Not married but have been with my partner for 18 years, no kids, and haven't been in school for 30+ years...YAY!!
Pita1963

Post by Pita1963 »

45, b/f, 4 dogs ( sounds like a lot of us are dog people!) I like movies, reading historical novels, campng, a good Brie, and long walks on the beach...... :lol:

Robb

:nerd:
The answer is : 42
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

17 :D
ScootLemont

Re: So How old are you?

Post by ScootLemont »

EP_scoot wrote:My wonderful significant other keeps freaking out I got a scooter. She keeps thinking my 2 wheel riding days should be over now that I have a family. She keeps thinking that scooterists are just a bunch of young guys/gals still in school. :D
First... thanks for the survey - I am 40, 3 kids, got my first scoot 5 days ago - my wife kept telling me "you are not 17" - It has been a great week & she seems to be warming up to it
My kids thought I was goofy to... but now my boys (17 & 20) are eyeing it in the garage & my daughter (13) asked me to take her to a school function on thursday on the scooter (we pulled up & several of her friends were waiting for her to arrive on the back of the scooter)

Starting looking for a scooter this spring because I ran out of garage room for my 79 fiat spider & sold it after 9 years - I think I like the scooter better

Oh yeah... we also have a beagle that does not ride the scooter but DOES ride on our ATVs

To quote J.B. - Growing older but not up.
zemacar

Re: So How old are you?

Post by zemacar »

I just mailed our AARP app. I read on a Kymco list that they have good 2-wheel insurance. Have to check it out. So now we're gonna get more junk mail selling hearing aids and mobility scooters? Oh, boy.
I'm 52, husband is 62. I have a Honda Elite 80 (for sale) and a seafoam 125. It's unnamed, haven't thought of anything suitable and am open to suggestions. My husband has a Kymco People S125 (which is very hard to start). I got my scooter first.
I have 3 kids, 2 dogs, 3 cats. Older daughter is married and saving up for her own Buddy. Other kids are both in high school. Son has Asperger's Syndrome, so he's not a typical 17yo boy (that's ok w/me. :) )
We have a house in suburban Seattle. I've had the Buddy for a month and I have commuted by scooter the 3.5 mi. to my small-city gov't job exactly twice now. (It's been damn cold here lately. It's snowing in some areas today!)
I also play fiddle and mandolin, mostly bluegrass. Unlike my Buddy, my mandolins are named.
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

Ran through the double-nickel age-wise two years back year. Married 34 years. Two grandkids. Retired US Army in 1995. First m/c at 14; first and only scooter (so far) two years back.

Wife doesn't scoot; wants me to get a bigger scoot.

You know how to tell the difference between fairy tales and war stories? A fairy tale starts: "Once upon a time..." and a war story starts: "This is no sh!t."

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
sargelee71

Post by sargelee71 »

Yes, the options are very limited and, unfortunately, very hetero-centric. I will not assume heterosexist, as I've not experienced MB as anything other than very welcoming and supportive of members and lurkers alike. :D

I am 36 (37 on 9/11...yep), partnered with a domestic partner of 7+ years, and we have two boy kitties, Otto and Scout. Having a child is a very very small possibility, but a dog is a very very big possibiility.
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

53, married, 5 kids, 1 grandkid, 1 eighteen year old cat. Anybody want a cat? :)
MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

sargelee71 wrote:we have two boy kitties, Otto and Scout. Having a child is a very very small possibility, but a dog is a very very big possibiility.
Our beagle is named Scout - (my son had just finished reading To Kill a Mockingbird)

Dogs are easier to house break than kids...
Dogs dont wreck you car...
but I dont trust my dog to pick my retirement home when I have to trade my scooter in on a mobility "scooter"
sargelee71

Post by sargelee71 »

ScootLemont wrote:
sargelee71 wrote:we have two boy kitties, Otto and Scout. Having a child is a very very small possibility, but a dog is a very very big possibiility.
Our beagle is named Scout - (my son had just finished reading To Kill a Mockingbird)

Dogs are easier to house break than kids...
Dogs dont wreck you car...
but I dont trust my dog to pick my retirement home when I have to trade my scooter in on a mobility "scooter"

Honestly, Scoot, I can't argue with one point you've just made. Although! Even though my Scout (also named after Scout Finch, as is your dog!! I like your son already.) doesn't drive, he's a wonderful co-driver, sitting on my shoulder, looking out the window, and swinging his tail against my face. Oh, and Otto sits on my chest in my sleep to make sure I'm still breathing.

But in order not to hijack this thread: Otto is 17 and Scout is 10. :lol:
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

[quote="sargelee71Honestly, Scoot, I can't argue with one point you've just made. Although! Even though my Scout (also named after Scout Finch, as is your dog!! [/quote]

WOT (sorry) Sargelee - if you are a fan of the movie... here is a link to a scan of my autographed pic http://timwall.com/scooter/scout.jpg
from Mary Badham (Scout Finch)
kilted texan

Post by kilted texan »

I guess we fit in the category.
but we are DINK WaDs.
Dual Income No Kids With Dogs
31 & 28, but I am told I act 13 sometimes.
BadBrains

Post by BadBrains »

I'm 24, but I've been told that I act like I'm 23.

I'm the anthropomorphic one.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I like the milk picture in the background!!! YUM! :wink:
BadBrains

Post by BadBrains »

KRUSTYburger wrote:I like the milk picture in the background!!! YUM! :wink:
I wish I could explain the framed milk photo.
sargelee71

Post by sargelee71 »

WOT (sorry) Sargelee - if you are a fan of the movie... here is a link to a scan of my autographed pic http://timwall.com/scooter/scout.jpg
from Mary Badham (Scout Finch)[/quote]

OH WOW!!!!! OK, imagine my two hands up and in bowing motion towards you!! That is so great!

When I used to teach high school English (and taught this book EVERY YEAR), I would come in one day in overhaul pants and t-shirt and role-play Scout as Mary played her, and answer student questions.

Ooops, again, don't want to hijack, so...I'm still 36 years old.
louie

Post by louie »

sargelee71 wrote:WOT (sorry) Sargelee - if you are a fan of the movie... here is a link to a scan of my autographed pic http://timwall.com/scooter/scout.jpg
from Mary Badham (Scout Finch)
OH WOW!!!!! OK, imagine my two hands up and in bowing motion towards you!! That is so great!

When I used to teach high school English (and taught this book EVERY YEAR), I would come in one day in overhaul pants and t-shirt and role-play Scout as Mary played her, and answer student questions.

Ooops, again, don't want to hijack, so...I'm still 36 years old.[/quote]

sounds like an excuse for causual day to me. :wink:
i kid, scout, it's a good way to get attention. one of my sister's favorite teachers would bring in a cauldrin, some dry ice, decorate the classroom, dress like a witch and quote from macbeth every year.
riancurtis

Post by riancurtis »

22 - going on 23 in 9 days....or something like that.
May 7. I will have had my scooter for 5 days at that time. e-citing.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I am still 40 (for another 19 days or so)
WOT - big fan of To Kill...
The pic came from a friend... her daughter did not read it in High School (I couldnt beleive it) anyway I told her to buy a copy & they both read it & loved it. They went to a special showing of the movie where Mary (Scout) was appearing & got me the autographed photo as a thank you for suggesting the book.

BOT - Mary Badham is 56 (dont know if she rides a scooter)
Eddy Merckx

Post by Eddy Merckx »

Just me and my old lady. she is way cool, and we scoot together alot, we scoot all year, winter too, except when there is snow or ice on the roads, we sold one of our autos and got the scoots almost a year back, six cylinders and three rides, one scion xb and two bud 125's, we feel the coolness of the scooter life. We hope you guys and gals feel the coolness too!
"Social graces, got any"
adriainpdx

Post by adriainpdx »

kilted texan wrote:I guess we fit in the category.
but we are DINK WaDs.
Dual Income No Kids With Dogs
31 & 28, but I am told I act 13 sometimes.
Does that make us DINK WaCs?

I'm 27 and finishing up my Ph.D., husbeast is dirrrty thirty. Two mutant cats. I bought my first scooter (Yamaha Vino Classic) a few weeks ago. Didn't take long for the hub to insist we both needed one...I'm not going to argue. We're hoping to pick up a Buddy (or two) next.

Anyway, hi! I hope to pick some of your brains in the near future.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

How central in CT?
EZPZ #65
sargelee71

Post by sargelee71 »

ScootLemont wrote:I am still 40 (for another 19 days or so)
WOT - big fan of To Kill...

BOT - Mary Badham is 56 (dont know if she rides a scooter)

OK, I must ask. I've been trying to figure out "WOT" and '"BOT." For the life of me, I can't figure it out. Please help!! LMAO, LOL, IMO, I get. :D
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

sorry...
WOT =way off topic
BOT =back on topic
IHC =I hate acronyms
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

ScootLemont wrote:sorry...
WOT =way off topic
BOT =back on topic
IHC =I hate acronyms
Oh, good. Some new TLA's to add to my collection. (3-letter acronyms)
MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

kuruku

Post by kuruku »

I'm pushing 30, but I'm also working on my BA. So it was kinda hard to say what I was in the poll.
Poppie tricks are the number one caper
motorhead

Post by motorhead »

I'm 25, married, and the proud parent of a chinchilla
Everything louder than everything else!
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

motorhead wrote:the proud parent of a chinchilla
OOOooo, I love chinchillas!!! Those are the fried burrito thingies right?

Just kidding, Seriously I do love Chinchillas! My cousin has one and my mom and her family actually used to raise them for selling their pelts. Cruel, I know, but they ARE German, so I'll give 'em a break. :wink:
Tenchi

Oldest dude yet?

Post by Tenchi »

Okay, I turn 53 this year, been riding motorcycles since I was 17, turned to scooting after a major wreck on my motorcycle that freaked out the kids and wife, been married 27 years, two grown children still living at home, but they are cool....