New member intro

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Neil82

New member intro

Post by Neil82 »

Hello, I purchased a used 2021 Buddy 50 with 1K miles. I've had it a few weeks and added 100 miles. I'm in the Denver area and I'm having a blast cruising, even in the cooler weather. Glad I found this forum as a resource for information. Cheers!
2022 Buddy 170i
wheelbender6

Re: New member intro

Post by wheelbender6 »

Welcome.
I spent a February working in Denver a few years back. We had snowy mornings but really nice afternoons. Fortunately no storms.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Welcome!
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

Hello and welcome. Somebody else might know better, but I think that because you live in Denver you might want to look into re-jetting your carb for that elevation, unless it's already been done.
Racer50

Post by Racer50 »

You can check your spark plug color, it should be dark gray. If its black and sooty, it is running too rich. I just brough a Roughhouse, I took it out yesterday for a good long ride and was surprised at how good the performance is.
2022 Roughhouse 50
Neil82

Post by Neil82 »

Thanks for the welcome. I'm not sure if jet is stock or if it was swapped out. It's something I may need to explore. If anybody has a recommendation for this altitude, let me know. I think it's running pretty well, as far as I can tell. I'll start by taking a look at the spark plug. Thanks all!
2022 Buddy 170i
AllissaWade

Post by AllissaWade »

Hey Everyone, I m new here. I m outdoor sportsman form Fallon, MT, USA. Glad to join this forum.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Neil82 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:44 pm Thanks for the welcome. I'm not sure if jet is stock or if it was swapped out. It's something I may need to explore. If anybody has a recommendation for this altitude, let me know. I think it's running pretty well, as far as I can tell. I'll start by taking a look at the spark plug. Thanks all!
Was the scooter originally sold through Sportique? If it was prepped and sold new at mile high altitude, I'm not sure why people are telling you to rejet it. Be sure to check your tire pressure. They can be down to 12lbs and still look fine.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
Neil82

Post by Neil82 »

DeeDee wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:53 pm
Neil82 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:44 pm Thanks for the welcome. I'm not sure if jet is stock or if it was swapped out. It's something I may need to explore. If anybody has a recommendation for this altitude, let me know. I think it's running pretty well, as far as I can tell. I'll start by taking a look at the spark plug. Thanks all!
Was the scooter originally sold through Sportique? If it was prepped and sold new at mile high altitude, I'm not sure why people are telling you to rejet it. Be sure to check your tire pressure. They can be down to 12lbs and still look fine.
I can't say for sure, but I think it was originally sold by Sportique. That's where I purchased it from. I do need to check tire pressure. Thanks for the reminder.
2022 Buddy 170i
Neil82

Post by Neil82 »

Checked tire pressure last week and both tires were about 15 psi. Aired up to 30. Rolling nice and smooth now.
I have put on 400 trouble free miles since purchase. Lots of sights, smells, and sounds to take in while riding a Buddy that I would miss in my car.
2022 Buddy 170i
Neil82

Post by Neil82 »

Pulled the spark plug and it looked okay. Maybe running a tad bit rich. It was iridium plug: NGK BPR7HIX. Installed new spark plug: NGK BPR7HS. Checked electrode gap prior to install. Replaced gear oil with 90cc Mobile 1 full synthetic 75w-140 (could not find 85w-140 at local stores). Removed cargo bin to visually check engine oil level in resevoir.

Two questions:

1. Does the iridium spark offer any benefits over standard plug?

2. Any concerns with running 75w-140 gear oil?

Hoping to get a nice ride in this weekend.

Happy scooting!
2022 Buddy 170i
Scootergoddess

Post by Scootergoddess »

I had an issue with my last scooter - wouldn't start on first try every time. Changed to iridium spark plug and that was end of the issue forever. Not sure why but it seemed to help. (Friend recommended the swap so i had it done with next oil change).
Neil82

Post by Neil82 »

Scootergoddess wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:13 am I had an issue with my last scooter - wouldn't start on first try every time. Changed to iridium spark plug and that was end of the issue forever. Not sure why but it seemed to help. (Friend recommended the swap so i had it done with next oil change).
Thanks for the info! I'll keep that in mind.
2022 Buddy 170i
Neil82

Post by Neil82 »

Buddy 50 is running great (just under 2500 miles on the clock) but battery seems to be on the way out. Ordered a replacement from Amazon. Mighty Max YTX4L-BS. I'm going to charge up new battery and then store it in the basement until spring since my battery tender is hooked up to new Buddy 170. I just got battery tender for Christmas and never used one for Buddy 50. I'm supposed to sell the 50 come spring time. That was part of the 'agreement'. That probably should have been in writing and notarized haha.
2022 Buddy 170i
Rapchiks

Post by Rapchiks »

Hello! I'm also new member!