Primavera 150 Buddy 125 comparison

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mtbspaz

Primavera 150 Buddy 125 comparison

Post by mtbspaz »

Comparing a 2021 Primavera 150 to our very well kept and maintained 2016 Buddy 125
About the same acceleration, top speed, large hill climbs,
likely due to power to weight ratios, Buddy at 220lbs vs Vespa at 260lbs
Buddy has a bigger compartment under seat, fits our medium or large full face helmet plus a couple water bottles.
At 5”9’ 185 pounds with 110 short pound passenger, the Buddy is way more comfortable for the passenger as they aren’t reaching for footpads also Buddy provides me much more seat area comfort due to passenger can sit all the way back.
Also aftermarket rear rack on Buddy with a 3” sissy bar makes for a good passenger backrest.
Buddy is easier to fuel up as you can see the level while fueling and the silver metal ‘full’ ring, like every (14) motorcycles I’ve ever owned.
Vespa fueling is less than mint as all you can see is a black hole, I will run it close to dry and put in 1 1/2 gallons and carry extra rags in the future.
As for the ride the, it’s all Vespa, it’s so smooth and quiet compared to the Buddy that feels hyper and intense on comparative acceleration and speeds, the Vespa bigger wheels makes for a much more settled over bumps and sketchy asphalt sections, Buddy stops surprisingly well but the Vespa brakes better, smoother, no drama.
In conclusion Buddy is a great value, feels like a classic well tuned hyper little motorbike.
The Vespa IMO is 30% more bike for 50% more money and at first blush not nearly the value a Buddy is
and a comparing the Vespa Primavera to a GTS 300, the 150 seems a poor value at only $2000 less but I will have to get my hands on a GTS to know for sure.
Scootering forward, because of my girls height challenges we will be getting a Primavera or Sprint, OEM foldable rear rack and the old school looking aftermarket rear foot pegs
Neil82

Re: Primavera 150 Buddy 125 comparison

Post by Neil82 »

Thanks for the comparison. The only scooter I have experience with is Buddy 50. There's a lot to like about the Buddy. I've always wondered if Vespa is worth the extra cost for those willing to spend additional coin. I do like the look and style of Primavera, especially the Sprint models. Buddy has a classic look and the 125s are reportedly very dependable and a great value.
2022 Buddy 170i
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Have you looked at the Royal Alloy GP 300 S? About the same price as a 150 Vespa but with the old GTS 300 engine. I don't know how it would fit a short passenger, but it is a solid scooter with a good amount of power. It might be worth trying to find one to see how it fits.

https://www.genuinescooters.com/product ... prix-300s/

https://www.genuinescooters.com/product ... ourer-150/
mtbspaz

Post by mtbspaz »

Neil82 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:03 pm Thanks for the comparison. The only scooter I have experience with is Buddy 50. There's a lot to like about the Buddy. I've always wondered if Vespa is worth the extra cost for those willing to spend additional coin. I do like the look and style of Primavera, especially the Sprint models. Buddy has a classic look and the 125s are reportedly very dependable and a great value.
The 125s are very good bang for the buck scooters, I imagine the Buddy 170cc is even better,
would also like to try the Buddy Urbano 200, it has fuel injection, Frt and rear disc brakes, Genuine Scooter website lists it at $2800 new
mtbspaz

Post by mtbspaz »

scootERIK wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:45 am Have you looked at the Royal Alloy GP 300 S? About the same price as a 150 Vespa but with the old GTS 300 engine. I don't know how it would fit a short passenger, but it is a solid scooter with a good amount of power. It might be worth trying to find one to see how it fits.

https://www.genuinescooters.com/product ... prix-300s/

https://www.genuinescooters.com/product ... ourer-150/
I’ve seen those GP300s in the flesh, also watched a few in depth reviews, there is a lot to like,

Vespa GTS 300 older version motors (less maintenance than HPE 300 motor?),
really good looking machines,
Genuine Scooter Company parent company,
1.5 to $2k out the door difference in price.

Things I don’t like so much about the GP300, heavier than Vespa?
Tall standover height for my little pilots,
Vespa motors not built in Italy?
Won’t wear as well cosmetically as a Vespa?
And the deal breaker, no under seat storage,
the main reason me and my kids hop on the Buddy 125 instead of my Kawasaki 900 for majority of our city rides.

I’d also add, I love the Vespa story, history and aesthetics, as well as the 1000s of more hours of do it yourself Youtube videos on Vespa repair and the availability of specialty Vespa shop tools
Scooteoverdaddy

Post by Scooteoverdaddy »

I love my RA 300 GP, Going on over 600 miles. Very responsive, fast and looks great. Can overlook the no under seat storage. With some minor adjustments I can haul travel bag, cover, tools and more. Love it!!