Leaking oil…gasket needs replaced?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Remous

Leaking oil…gasket needs replaced?

Post by Remous »

I’ve noticed a few oil spots on the left rear of my buddy. The other day my back tire was saturated. I believe it may be the gasket that needs replaced. Does anyone have any insight on what could be the issue? Thanks!

scootERIK

Re: Leaking oil…gasket needs replaced?

Post by scootERIK »

Overfilled gear oil? Anything over the suggested amount will come out the weep hole.

Drain and refill with the proper amount and see if that fixes the problem.
350kmi

Post by 350kmi »

I agree with scootERIK.

Your pictures it look just like when the gear oil was over filled on my Buddy 125. This happened after I used the same gear oil change method as on my Honda scooters, which has you add oil until it leaks back out the fill hole. This is NOT correct for the Buddy and leads to over filling and a very oily rear wheel and tire. Draining and carefully refilling with the correct amount fixed my problem.
mtbspaz

Post by mtbspaz »

350kmi wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:52 pm I agree with scootERIK.

Your pictures it look just like when the gear oil was over filled on my Buddy 125. This happened after I used the same gear oil change method as on my Honda scooters, which has you add oil until it leaks back out the fill hole. This is NOT correct for the Buddy and leads to over filling and a very oily rear wheel and tire. Draining and carefully refilling with the correct amount fixed my problem.
Good to know, same on our Primavera, overfill it a bit, let it leak out the fill hole until it stops but when it seems to barely drip, I got to let it go for a few more minutes as quite a bit more still drips out.
Remous

Post by Remous »

i typically change my gear oil every other year. Last summer I had no leaks at all. Wouldn’t you think it would have leaked like it is now last year?
mtbspaz

Post by mtbspaz »

Remous wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:48 am i typically change my gear oil every other year. Last summer I had no leaks at all. Wouldn’t you think it would have leaked like it is now last year?
Yes, it very well may be a bigger issue than an overfill,
Here’s a Reddit, a guy with a Royal Alloy had the same issue, consensus seemed to be leaning rear axel seal

https://www.reddit.com/r/scooters/comme ... ame=iossmf
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

When I purchased my Buddy new it came from the dealer overfilled. You would think someone would have done a PDI and, because it was a known problem, check it. I was on the freeway on the rain when it started blowing out. Fun is a understatement.

Now if you have a leak at the rear seal, on either side, it's a easy fix. I had one blow out on my Liberty 150 not long ago. It was the one inside the transmission behind the clutch assembly.

Whats your mileage?
Recent service done?

And please don't be like a friend. He had a oil leak on his Honda Metro and never bothered fixing it. Said he lost the little brass colored washer when changing the oil. The whole underside of the motor and the rear wheel stayed cover in oily grime. He didn't even bother cleaning it before bringing it over when I offered to help him work on it. Keeping the scooter clean helps you find new problems when they arise.
Remous

Post by Remous »

sc00ter wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:56 pm

Whats your mileage?
Recent service done?
3600 miles.
Two years ago I replaced oil and gear oil.