Genuine Buddy 50 sluggish uphill issue

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lav

Genuine Buddy 50 sluggish uphill issue

Post by Lav »

Hello there,

Bit new to the forums. But I have a genuine buddy 50 at 1600 miles, suddenly it's struggling really hard to break 15-20 miles per hour going up hill when it would normally get more than 30. I've been noticing that when I go full throttle as well there seems to be kind of a stutter in the rev but I'm not exactly sure how to describe it.

The scooter starts fine, and at low throttle it seems to be running without any hiccups, it's just more than half throttle at high speed or going up hill gives it a lot of issues.

Any advice at this point would greatly be appreciated!
sc00ter

Re: Genuine Buddy 50 sluggish uphill issue

Post by sc00ter »

What year is your Buddy 50? If its an old Buddy and you recently purchased it (or it sat for a long time) you might have a partially clogged jet in the carb.

While 1600 miles is very low the age of the belt might come into play, if the Buddy is older. If older:

Dried out grease in rear pulley?

Damaged guide pin on rear pulley?

How often do you climb this hill?

Have you checked your tire pressure recently?

I just woke up and my brain hasn't totally kicked in yet. My old Zuma pre-bug was a field bike before I got it. Spent so much time in thick grass that the rear pulley was damaged and getting jammed, not allowing it to operate correctly.

Welcome to the forum!