New Buddy 170i vibration question.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

derekracer

New Buddy 170i vibration question.

Post by derekracer »

I took delivery of my new 170i a few days ago. Scooter runs really well and I like it a lot. The only complaint I have is the vibration at idle. It shakes pretty aggressively at a complete stop, almost like a Harley. The headlight reflection visibly shakes when looking at it against the car in front of you. Does anyone else experience this on their 170's? It is buttery smooth once moving though.
350kmi

Re: New Buddy 170i vibration question.

Post by 350kmi »

Yes, the headlight on my Buddy 170i also vibrates at idle. Give it a touch of gas and it smooths right out. I actually had to go out and check. I have been riding it for 10 years, so I guess having to check means I had gotten pretty used to it.
seamus26

Post by seamus26 »

I've noticed that about my wife's Buddy. The 170 seems to be quite a thumper. I believe that's just a characteristic of the bike, though.
Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K
derekracer

Post by derekracer »

Thanks for the replies. I assume its "normal" I guess. Not ideal but tolerable.
Therealslimshaggy

Post by Therealslimshaggy »

One thing I have noticed people are doing differently on Genuine scooters than people are doing in Taiwan on their PGos is oil. The general consensus seems to be in USA any old quality oil will be ok for the genuine. I couldn’t disagree more. You NEED and WANT MB oil! It really is a night and day difference. The small detail overlooked. You want buttery smooth? Simple. Use an oil that’s not designed for a wet clutch. Wet clutch or non-mb oil is what everyone thinks is acceptable in USA where scooter culture is lacking compared to Asia where I lived 15 years. I too made the mistake of running non-mb oil in my scooter then switched to yamalube 100% synthetic mb oil. So what’s the difference? If you are running an oil that isn’t an mb oil it has friction additives in the oil that are designed for motorcycles with wet clutches that need friction. You don’t need any added friction in a small scooter motor. Unless of course you enjoy vibration, shorter engine life and just overall poor running. Try out mb oil. Might get ride of your vibrations. I can tell a difference. Runs butter smooth with mb oil.
Yamaha Aerox 155, Genuine Roughhouse 50, Genuine buddy 170i, Yamaha Cygnus 125, Honda grom 125, Suzuki address 110 (uk110), Yamaha cuxi 115, Yamaha BWS 100 2t, Yamaha R6, Honda CR125, Kawasaki KX 500
Neil82

Post by Neil82 »

I'm trying to decide if engine thumping at idle would be a nuisance or an endearing characteristic.
2022 Buddy 170i
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

That's one of the reasons I prefer the 125 over the 170i. The 125 is a smoother engine. My 170i never loosened up, even after 5,000 miles. It never really purred like the 125 does.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
mtbspaz

Post by mtbspaz »

Neil82 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:00 pm I'm trying to decide if engine thumping at idle would be a nuisance or an endearing characteristic.
My Buddy 125 would calm way down at idle when I pulled in the brake, front if I remember correctly