Buddy 50 with ncy 70 kit stalled on me and wouldnt start

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

FZS_Jon

Buddy 50 with ncy 70 kit stalled on me and wouldnt start

Post by FZS_Jon »

I have a 2007 buddy 50 with a 70cc ncy upgraded head and a prima exhaust that i bought last week. everything was fine and then i went on a cruise on Sunday and on the way home it stalled on me on a back country road. Wouldn't start with kick or button. Got it home on a back end of a truck. on Monday looking everything over it seemed like it had no gas but had a half a tank. had to charge the battery, ran it low trying to start it on the side of the road. I took off the filter cover and shot some starting fluid in the carb and it started and and then died. I did it a few more times and its now running and starting with the button and drives just fine. I was going 40 ish to 45 mph when this happened and was 2 thirds the way back on a 25 mile ride. the speeds were 40mph range the whole time there and then we ate and road back the same way. I might of hit 50mph a few times with a hill and never was full throttle on it. I think it ran the float bowl dry and there wasnt any vacuum fuel pump to keep the carb happy. Has anyone has this happen? This is my 1st 2 stroke and ive had agy6 ruckus before this.
zino

Re: Buddy 50 with ncy 70 kit stalled on me and wouldnt start

Post by zino »

If it just quit like you hit a kill switch
Then i would think soft seize
You were running wide open and going up hills
With a pipe and kit you would need to upjet the stock carb

If you were running along and she started struggling and then quit then I would think Fuel problem
FZS_Jon

Post by FZS_Jon »

zino wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:14 pm If you were running along and she started struggling and then quit then I would think Fuel problem

^^^ thats what happened?
zino

Post by zino »

there is a vaccum line that goes from the intake to the fuel petcock.

you can check the function of the petcock
take the fuel line off the carb and the vaccum tube of the intake suck on the tube fuel should pee out the fuel line .

I switched to clear fuel lines so i could see the fuel moving in the fuel line .
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

What jetting did you swap up to? Easy way to check for a soft seize is to pull the exhaust, bump the piston over the exhaust hole and see if it's scored/scratched up.

If it's scored you'll need to find out why first because it will happen again and again until diagnosed.
FZS_Jon

Post by FZS_Jon »

zino wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:59 pm I switched to clear fuel lines so i could see the fuel moving in the fuel line .
Which size lines should I get?

sc00ter wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:31 am What jetting did you swap up to? Easy way to check for a soft seize is to pull the exhaust, bump the piston over the exhaust hole and see if it's scored/scratched up.

If it's scored you'll need to find out why first because it will happen again and again until diagnosed.
I didn’t do the swap so I don’t know

This is the 1st issue I had and I feel it’s a fuel issue.
zino

Post by zino »

I just took the fuel line off and measured it
1/4 inch inside diameter or 6mm
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

So, you didn't upjet or did you pay someone else to do the bbk and they didn't give you a build sheet/receipt of what was done? Here's why I ask. A 2-stroke motor is much more complicated to tune than a 4-stroke. I used to build very fast and fun Yamaha Zuma bug-eyes and I do so much data collecting to make sure my builds would hold up. I did soft seize a Zuma because it was jetted for summer and I rode it in winter. It seized, I let it cool down, it restarted fine and I rode it for about another week before it finally died completely from lack of compression. My being lazy and not swapping the main jet for winter cost me $150 for a new top end. I love the cast iron Malossi Street kits. Much more forgiving than aluminum kits.

Pull the exhaust and look for scratch/scruff marks on the exhaust side of the piston before going any further.

Before I forget.
Did you or the builder do a pressure/vacuum test after installing the bbk? Also known as a leak down test.
Did you or the builder do any plug chops? I personally hate doing plug chops.
Was any data collected on operating temps before the bbk being installed and after the bbk was installed? A cheap CHT reader saves a lot of trouble.
FZS_Jon

Post by FZS_Jon »

sc00ter wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:44 pm So, you didn't upjet or did you pay someone else to do the bbk and they didn't give you a build sheet/receipt of what was done? Here's why I ask. A 2-stroke motor is much more complicated to tune than a 4-stroke. I used to build very fast and fun Yamaha Zuma bug-eyes and I do so much data collecting to make sure my builds would hold up. I did soft seize a Zuma because it was jetted for summer and I rode it in winter. It seized, I let it cool down, it restarted fine and I rode it for about another week before it finally died completely from lack of compression. My being lazy and not swapping the main jet for winter cost me $150 for a new top end. I love the cast iron Malossi Street kits. Much more forgiving than aluminum kits.

Pull the exhaust and look for scratch/scruff marks on the exhaust side of the piston before going any further.

Before I forget.
Did you or the builder do a pressure/vacuum test after installing the bbk? Also known as a leak down test.
Did you or the builder do any plug chops? I personally hate doing plug chops.
Was any data collected on operating temps before the bbk being installed and after the bbk was installed? A cheap CHT reader saves a lot of trouble.

I have only known 4 stroke stuff and not versed well in the 2 stroke world. I know the builder and he wasn't the seller tho. I reached out to him and he hasn't answered. the build works at a local power sports store.
FZS_Jon

Post by FZS_Jon »

When it stalled it sputtered for a few moments and the died does that sound like a soft stall? I coundnt get it started until i used starter fluid 3 to 4 times then it ran normal and drove normal?