Small bulb in bottom of headlight assembly

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SFBDY170i

Small bulb in bottom of headlight assembly

Post by SFBDY170i »

Theres a small bulb in my buddy 170i headlight assembly at the bottom directly under the actual headlight. Whats this bulb called? Bonus reflector illuminator bulb? It went out. Id like to buy a replacement. What size? Thank you.

-Matt
tenders

Re: Small bulb in bottom of headlight assembly

Post by tenders »

That little bulb is a “pilot bulb,” as I understand it, used in many countries that do not require the headlight to be on at all times or as a (lame) backup if the main headlight fails. US scooters are often delivered with a rubber plug in their place.

I don’t believe my 50 has a socket for one [EDIT: it does, and it's filled with some kind of blank], and I don’t know the deets on the 170i, but on both my larger non-Buddy scooters the bulb is 194 W5W T10. I found them in LED form inexpensively on Amazon.

They are very common in automotive and motorcycle use for interior lights, license plate illumination, etc. so you might have some extras floating around already.

But they really are not bright enough to do anything in the headlight fixture.
Last edited by tenders on Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

tenders wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:29 pm used in many countries that do not require the headlight to be on at all times or as a (lame) backup if the main headlight fails. US scooters are often delivered with a rubber plug in their place.

But they really are not bright enough to do anything in the headlight fixture.
Agree 100%. It has no value when the headlight is illuminated, you wouldn't even know it's there. And since the headlight is always illuminated when a USA scooter is running, putting a bulb in there would be pointless.
SFBDY170i

Post by SFBDY170i »

Got it.Thanks for the replies. I’d never seen or maybe noticed one of those on a scooter before this 170i. I won’t worry about it then.

-