Buddy 50 hates the cold….

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Scootergoddess

Buddy 50 hates the cold….

Post by Scootergoddess »

I have noticed that every time it’s cold outside it takes multiple tries to start my buddy 50. Today it started right up, and I let it warm up before I rode, like I do every day. However, on my commute to work, the bike was super sluggish, and even died on me in the middle of an intersection. Any suggestions? This is my first time owning a two-stroke, so I’m wondering if that has something to do with it. None of my four stroke scooters ever had a problem in cold weather before. And honestly, it’s not that cold. Only in the 40s. I am getting worried about the winter!
Scootergoddess

Re: Buddy 50 hates the cold….

Post by Scootergoddess »

Update… the ride home she handled normally, no bogging down on acceleration and no stalling. I let her warm up almost 5 min though. But… a new and horrible rattling/vibration started at low rpm on ride home. I checked every screw on the scooter when i got home and nothing is loose. What could it be? Time to take it in to the shop?
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum but no mind readers. What kind of help are you looking for from such vague questions? What year is your scooter, how many miles, what is the maintenance history? Horrible vibration from where? Front wheel, rear wheel, left side of the engine, right side of the engine....? Does it go away at idle? Does it get worse? Does it go away when you apply the rear brake?
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
Neil82

Post by Neil82 »

Scootergoddess wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:57 am Update… the ride home she handled normally, no bogging down on acceleration and no stalling. I let her warm up almost 5 min though. But… a new and horrible rattling/vibration started at low rpm on ride home. I checked every screw on the scooter when i got home and nothing is loose. What could it be? Time to take it in to the shop?
Is the rattling sound coming from CVT? Is it making the noise only at idle while clutch is not engaged? It sounds like it was otherwise operating normally for your ride home.

I'm curious what the recommended warm up time is for a Buddy 50 and how it would vary based on temperature/season? I keep mine in attached garage which only gets down to 40s/50s in the winter. Haven't really had issues with stalling out a cold engine.
2022 Buddy 170i
Scootergoddess

Post by Scootergoddess »

2022 with 950 miles. Really not sure where sound is coming from. Only when moving (can’t replicate the sound while on the center stand). I guess she is headed for the dealership to get checked out.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

So you still have a warranty? Let the dealer deal with it! Now onto cold running in general. The way I understand it is that Genuine 50cc scooters are set on the lean side from the factory for emissions. I replied to your 'Hard start' issue in your other thread and supplied the name of the link since I was fighting the same issue. I actually have main and idle jets for Pinky the scooter but since the last time it was wreaked I refuse to work on it. Its no longer safe and if it were me I'd scrap it. But the Buddy 50 doesn't have an adjustable air/fuel screw yet the RH50 does. The owner of Pinky complained about the exact same issues in the cold that you were having.
Scootergoddess

Post by Scootergoddess »

Well, I have eliminated the cold issue by simply letting the bike warm up for a few extra moments before I ride. It’s been running fine. I also figured out that the rattle is definitely coming from the front plastic faring… the big large colored panel right in the front of the bike under the headlight. When the noise starts if I simply put my hand on the front of that plastic, the noise instantly stops. Take my hand away, the noise is back. Any suggestions?
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

There are three screws holding that in place. A big silver #3 phillips right smack in the middle of the front, and two smaller black #2 phillips on the top outer corners of the black inner legshield. Check all three to see if they are tight.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
Scootergoddess

Post by Scootergoddess »

Checked em all. Tight. Was wondering if there is some hidden screw/fastener i was missing. Oh well. When it goes to shop they can check it out.
Neil82

Post by Neil82 »

Scootergoddess wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:29 am Checked em all. Tight. Was wondering if there is some hidden screw/fastener i was missing. Oh well. When it goes to shop they can check it out.
Keep us posted. Realized today that I have vibration coming from same area. I think I had tuned it out. Checked the three screws mentioned above- they are tight. The sound is only present when the engine is working extra hard, like up an incline. I can reach my arm over the headlight, and place it on the front panel, to stop the vibration sound.

Upon further inspection... there are a couple electrical connectors (disconnected) dangling against inside of front body panel. One on left side one on right side. Maybe sound is from these connectors vibrating against front panel? Are these connectors for the front running lights? I'm going to try taping them down to inside of front panel for my next ride to see if the sound goes away.

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread.
2022 Buddy 170i
Scootergoddess

Post by Scootergoddess »

No apology needed!
I did the same thing this weekend: opened the front panel, checked everything underneath, and tucked down some wires that were rattling against the panel. Looking forward to riding today and seeing if the noise has lessened!
Scootergoddess

Post by Scootergoddess »

Noise completely gone!!!! Tucking down those wires/connectors did the trick!
Neil82

Post by Neil82 »

Scootergoddess wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:00 am Noise completely gone!!!! Tucking down those wires/connectors did the trick!
Excellent!
2022 Buddy 170i