Buddy 50 Headlight Woes

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

MikeinMadison

Buddy 50 Headlight Woes

Post by MikeinMadison »

Hi all
Really appreciate your wisdom. Bought a used 2013 Buddy 50 for college daughter. Seller said he only drove it in the daylight... hmm... When we realized the headlight was out we understood the claim... We have replaced 3 bulbs now... all HS1 -- correct wattage. 2 have burned out, third is pending. All are too dim. What should I test, replace? Voltage to frame and motor are both good -- 12.22v. Should I replace the regulator? Stator? What test will answer what needs to be done. Thank you for any help. We don't like our daughter considering driving without a headlight.
Last edited by MikeinMadison on Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeeDee

Re: Buddy 50 Headlight Woes

Post by DeeDee »

Have a read through this: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33183 It's probably your regulator. I'd replace it w/ a LED bulb. They can handle a larger voltage spike.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
tenders

Post by tenders »

And keep in mind that you need a LED headlight that accommodates AC voltage (ie, has a built-in rectifier, which is not the same as a regulator).

Now those LED bulbs are somewhat expensive, so first confirm that the problem is solved with the cheap bulbs!
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

$13, 28 watts, plug and play for the Buddy, twice as bright as the original and will handle up to 18 volts: https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Headl ... pdctrvw_dp
MikeinMadison

Post by MikeinMadison »

Hi Everyone
I replaced voltage regulator, and used standard halogen until recently, when they started blowing again.

Should I try an LED, and if so, which one. The ones with the fancy heat dissipation fins won't fit.

Any help? I'd prefer something cheap if there's a lot of uncertainty about it lasting...

Any links to products that worked for you?
tenders

Post by tenders »

The Buddy headlight bulb has to be AC compatible - which is automatic with a halogen bulb, but LEDs need to have a rectified circuit to convert the AC coming off the stator into DC for the LED.

I don’t see that ideal H4 bulb around any more, that had the little rectifier box for AC compatibility and the braids for heat dissipation even in shallow areas. EDIT: DeeDee found it on AliExpress, link below. Still - confirm the integrity of both AC and DC voltage at operating RPM before installing new bulbs!

If you’re blowing bulbs more often than once every several years, something with the voltage is wrong and you’re going to keep blowing bulbs no matter how they’re designed or how much they cost. Might as well stick with the cheap halogen bulbs until you get it figured out. The voltage you’re measuring at the battery seems low, for starters, when the engine is running, and secondly, it’s irrelevant because the headlight is fed by a separate AC line coming directly off the stator. You need to measure that voltage with the AC mode on your multimeter.

I had this issue with a friend’s 50 and the problem turned out to be a disconnected ground wire near the regulator. It was showing 24V AC at the headlight, 17V DC at the battery, both fluctuating with RPM. Blew the headlight and eventually all the little blurbs in the instrument panel too. I replaced both the regulator and the stator without effect, and only then noticed the ground wire adrift.
Last edited by tenders on Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

With the engine running you should test the AC voltage at the headlight socket. The 28 watt bulb with the heat ribbons will fit with no issues. Where are you getting your fitment information? If you're spiking voltage at the socket, It's either a regulator or stator. Here is a photo of this bulb in a 2012 Buddy 50. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/22518327 ... ry_from%3A
Attachments
391482970_6918193164909865_8797718113774350427_n.jpg
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I just received a group message asking for help on this topic. I've read through it twice, I can't figure out which of you two it is from, and what specifically you are asking that has not been answered in this thread more than once. If you have a specific question, please ask away, and I will try to help you.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Show us a link of the halogen bulb you keep blowing please.