Search is back!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Search is back!

Post by ericalm »

Search functionality has been restored using Google. Indexing the whole site created a massive database issue that exceeded what we're allowed from our host.

Google may be re-crawling the site, so it may be a day or two before it's fully working. Did fine in my tests, though.

If you have any issues, let us know.

Thanks
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
DeeDee

Re: Search is back!

Post by DeeDee »

The search bar for this site is gone. All I see now is the google search box which searches the whole internet. Is it no longer possible to search MB?
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

DeeDee wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:29 pm The search bar for this site is gone. All I see now is the google search box which searches the whole internet. Is it no longer possible to search MB?
I used it and my results were all from Modern Buddy (plus a couple of ads at the top of the results.)
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I was looking for the function that was on here for a while. I could narrow down the search results one word at a time. It looks like that is gone.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

DeeDee wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:31 am I was looking for the function that was on here for a while. I could narrow down the search results one word at a time. It looks like that is gone.
Can you give me an example? There may be a way to do this.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Sure. Before these changes, say I was searching for the thread from the fellow who put a Buddy 125 engine into his Ruckus. I could search the whole general discussion for the word Ruckus. I'd get the results, and there would be a box that would say search these results. I could type in "swap", and I would see every thread that had those two words. The box would be there saying search these results, and I could type in "engine". The results would narrow it further until i had the results from the General Discussion for Ruckus Engine Swap. I found it to be quick and precise. In my opinion, 'twas the best search ability of any forum I'm on. Thank you in advance!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

DeeDee wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:49 am Sure. Before these changes, say I was searching for the thread from the fellow who put a Buddy 125 engine into his Ruckus. I could search the whole general discussion for the word Ruckus. I'd get the results, and there would be a box that would say search these results. I could type in "swap", and I would see every thread that had those two words. The box would be there saying search these results, and I could type in "engine". The results would narrow it further until i had the results from the General Discussion for Ruckus Engine Swap. I found it to be quick and precise. In my opinion, 'twas the best search ability of any forum I'm on. Thank you in advance!
I’ll see if I can find some advanced functionality. Unfortunately, we can’t go back to the old one without upgrading to a much pricier hosting account, so have to rely on outside search of some kind.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

DeeDee wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:49 am Sure. Before these changes, say I was searching for the thread from the fellow who put a Buddy 125 engine into his Ruckus. I could search the whole general discussion for the word Ruckus. I'd get the results, and there would be a box that would say search these results. I could type in "swap", and I would see every thread that had those two words. The box would be there saying search these results, and I could type in "engine". The results would narrow it further until i had the results from the General Discussion for Ruckus Engine Swap. I found it to be quick and precise. In my opinion, 'twas the best search ability of any forum I'm on. Thank you in advance!
I’ll see if I can find some advanced functionality. Unfortunately, we can’t go back to the old one without upgrading to a much pricier hosting account, so have to rely on outside search of some kind.
SaniveK

Post by SaniveK »

I can see and use the GoogleSearch feature on a desktop PC, but can’t find it anywhere with my mobile browsers (Safari & Brave on my iPhone). I am actually able to use the feature on mobile by using this link:
http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/app.php/googlesearch?
👍
tenders

Post by tenders »

SaniveK wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:10 am I can see and use the GoogleSearch feature on a desktop PC, but can’t find it anywhere with my mobile browsers (Safari & Brave on my iPhone). I am actually able to use the feature on mobile by using this link:
http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/app.php/googlesearch?
👍
Search disappears for me when my phone is in PORTRAIT display mode, but shows up magically during the transition to LANDSCAPE mode.