New to Buddies! Need help with tires

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ScootyPuffJr

New to Buddies! Need help with tires

Post by ScootyPuffJr »

Hi everyone!

I am new to the forum and Genuine products altogether. I was fortunate enough to find a 2012 Buddy 50 nearby with less than 400 miles on it, but needed some advice on tires (and any general tips if the hivemind has any, it is much appreciated!). I searched this site and reddit and was unable to find a definitive answer on tire sizes. I know the 50 takes 90/90-10 stock, but I wanted to upgrade the tire size (width mostly) since they seem a little small. I got this for my wife and want it to be the safest ride possible, and watching them ride on those little things and seeing the wobble as I follow worries me.

Anyway, long story short, I wanted to put a 110/80-10 up front and a 130/70-10 in the back, or just 2 x 130/70-10 if the bike can support it. All the local shops here can install the tires, but do not carry them on hand for a quick reference. Just doing some light eyeballing and measuring it looks like they should fit, but the only confirmed builds I could find on here were for 125s or up, which I believe have a slightly different frame.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks for everyone's time and I look forward to your responses!

P.S. I have looked into derestricting the trans and exhaust since our area is pretty hilly and the 50 seems to struggle to get to speed. Also got some Dr. Pulley sliders since these 3 things were the easiest and cheapest upgrades I could find. Will be installing soon!
DeeDee

Re: New to Buddies! Need help with tires

Post by DeeDee »

If you go with a bigger diameter tire, it will hurt your low speed performance. Why do you not want to stick with the stock size? Plenty of satisfied users world wide.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
ScootyPuffJr

Post by ScootyPuffJr »

DeeDee wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:27 pm If you go with a bigger diameter tire, it will hurt your low speed performance. Why do you not want to stick with the stock size? Plenty of satisfied users world wide.
It would help with the roads around here. Small groves pull the smaller wheels around, and I have to replace them anyway so I might as well get the size I'd like.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

I don't think the 50cc can take a bigger tire, at least not without modifications, but I could be wrong. Others have had issues even going up to a size- http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21876

Those ten year old stock tires are going to take a few hundred miles of wear before they will ride right so even just going to a new name brand tire in the same size with the correct pressure will be a huge improvement.
ScootyPuffJr

Post by ScootyPuffJr »

scootERIK wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:42 am I don't think the 50cc can take a bigger tire, at least not without modifications, but I could be wrong. Others have had issues even going up to a size- http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21876

Those ten year old stock tires are going to take a few hundred miles of wear before they will ride right so even just going to a new name brand tire in the same size with the correct pressure will be a huge improvement.
Thanks for this! Looking at size comparisons, I can probably sneak 120/70s in there for a little more width, but ultimately the biggest upgrade will be to your point: getting some good name tires on there that are not pushing 11 years old.