2007 Buddy 125 problem solved

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

thomaselliott

2007 Buddy 125 problem solved

Post by thomaselliott »

Hello everyone, I wanted to share that I fixed my 2007 Buddy 125's issues. I was given this scooter after it sat for years. The previous owner had lived in a downtoen Charleston SC area previous to her new address. Someone tried to steal the scooter and broke the steering lock. When this lady finally rolled it out to the street for trash pickup a good friend rescued it for me.

I cleaned the fuel tank and replaced the fuel level sending unit, the wiper had completely vanished into a clump of whitish residue. Trying to see if it would run, I found it would start cold, run very briefly and
almost immediately die. It would never restart after that until it sat for a long while then do the same thing again.

I cleaned and inspected the carb, finding a clogged Slow jet that I couldn't clear. You could see through the diagonally aligned little holes but not straight through end to end. I ordered a replacement as well as one to replace the Main jet even though it was not clogged. I replaced them both and titghtened up the accelerator pump arm just a tiny bit so the pump reacted a little quicker to throttle increases. In addition the electric choke wasn't working so that was replaced as well.

After reassembly it fired right up and runs really well. Perhaps this will help someone else who has the "tries to start and dies" problem. Ethanol in standard gasoline does a number on small engine carbs. It is best to use "Pure Gas" non-ethanol fuel in carb equipped scooters. Fuel injected models may fare better, I'm not certain of that though.
Dooglas

Re: 2007 Buddy 125 problem solved

Post by Dooglas »

I have had a similar problem with both a Buddy 125 and a carbed Vespa LX150. Both would repeatedly die at idle. I cleaned the carb on each one but the stalling at idle continued. In each case, replacing the idle jet did the trick. My conclusion - it is hard to be sure that you have really cleaned the jets, and replacement jets are inexpensive.
Buddy Kick, Vespa GTS/ABS, Buddy 125 (my SO's ride)