New Buddy 50 Owner - Starter Issue

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Jim Moore

New Buddy 50 Owner - Starter Issue

Post by Jim Moore »

Hi Folks,

As of yesterday I'm the proud owner of a 2021 Buddy 50. It's actually for my daughter to take to school, but I've been having a blast on this thing zipping around the neighborhood. It has one annoying little issue. Occasionally the starter doesn't engage the engine. It turns, but just makes a 'ZZZINGGG" noise. Tapping the start button a few times seems fix it, but I'm a little worried about sending it off to school like that. As a note, the PO let the battery run down and spent a while kick-starting it so I'm wondering if the starter just needs some exercise, or does it need to be taken apart and cleaned, or replaced?

Also, oil. I'm not near a dealer so I'm going to have to buy it from Amazon. I'm open to suggestions on type. Also, how do I know the oil reservoir is filled? Can I tell without taking off the front seat panel?

Thanks in advance. Loving my new Buddy!

Jim Moore
Jax, FL
sc00ter

Re: New Buddy 50 Owner - Starter Issue

Post by sc00ter »

If I recall I did the following.

Lube the bendix gear shaft. It gets sticky and dry. It lives under the transmission cover.

I did the D-Mod and put in a larger battery when it came time to get a new one.

I see your not in a cold area so that's a good thing. Have your kid learn how to kick start it so she wont get stranded either way.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Agreed on checking the starter Bendix. I had the same issue when I got my '07 Buddy 50. I had to flush mine out with cleaner and lubricate the shafts and sliding bits. They generally aren't wear items, but if you need one, you can get one here:

http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/buddycrankcase

It's part #19 on the diagram.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
tenders

Post by tenders »

I’m a little surprised a ‘21 would be having any starter issues, even a minor lubrication issue.

I would not be shocked if the battery were in less than-perfect shape. They’re fragile and many just don’t last very long. I would suggest connecting a known good 12V source to the battery (like a car battery) and seeing if the starter behaves better. If so, replace the scooter battery.
Neil82

Post by Neil82 »

My 2021 Buddy 50cc does the 'ZZZINGGG' thing every now and then. Most often after sitting for a week or more, so I suspect related to battery. Usually, after a couple pushes of the starter button, it'll go. Kick starter is a great insurance policy, if needed.

You can open the hatch, located at bottom of under seat storage area, to visually check oil reservoir. There is one Phillips screw to remove. I just turn on cell phone light to light up the reservior and see oil level.

Amazon does have Genuine brand motor oil 2T full synthetic. That's what I use. Otherwise, I think the Motul brand 710 2T full synthetic is a decent alternative.

Congrats on your Buddy purchase! I hope it can serve you and your daughter for many years to come.
2022 Buddy 170i
Jim Moore

Post by Jim Moore »

Thanks guys. The starter issue seems to have largely cleared itself up. Or maybe I'm just not worried about it anymore. In any event, thanks again for the help.