Power Plug Upgrade for Buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

az_slynch

Power Plug Upgrade for Buddy

Post by az_slynch »

As part of my recent Buddy 50 build, I opted to swap out the tired old 12V plug for something a bit more useful. I'd picked a few of them up off of eBay. Here's pic for image searches and a description of the functions in case the eBay link expires:
Dual USB Fast Charger Socket Power Outlet Adapter QC3.0 PD Type-C For Motorcycle
Dual USB Fast Charger Socket Power Outlet Adapter QC3.0 PD Type-C For Motorcycle
USB Power.jpg (31.6 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
Description:
1: This is a QC3.0 + TYPE-C intelligent fast charger, with voltage display, high voltage warning, it can display charging rate, there is a switch that can freely switch the mode of display and turn on/off the power.
2: Press the switch lightly to turn on the power, it can display the real-time voltage after the full-screen lights up for 2 seconds, and then press the button once again to switch to the red power indicator. Both display modes can be freely switched by the button, Press and hold the switch for two seconds to turn off the power of the device. After turning off the power, it means that the device has cut off the power input and then achieve the the effect of saving electricity.
3: When the input voltage exceeds 14.6V, the red indicator light is on (warning function, it indicates that the input voltage is too high)
4: When the power is turned on and the USB charging is performed, the flowing of color screen indicates that it is in charging; it will reflect the speed of charging according to the flowing rate of color screen . When the mobile phone is fully charged, it will light up on the full screen. Two minutes later, It will display the real-time voltage again . The display mode can be switched to a separate red indicator light by pressing the switch lightly. Press and hold the switch for two seconds to turn off the power of the device.
5.Multi-purposes: supply power for cellphone, tablet PC, GPS and other USB-devices,
Wide Application: cars, motorcycles, ATVs, SUVs, UTVs, Boats, etc

Specifications:
Product material: ABS
Product Color: Black
input Voltage: DC 12V - 24V
Output : 5V-3A 9V-3A 12V2.5A 15V-2A 20V-1.5A
Size: 50x36.8mm

Installation on the Buddy was simple. I removed the front cowl and disconnected the two leads to the 12V plug. I did need to use tongue-and-groove pliers to loosen the locking ring on the back of the socket. Once loosened, the adapter came out with no fuss. I slipped the new socket in and put the locking ring on; it has locking teeth on both sides of the ring, so you can put it on either way. Pay attention to the power connections, they are indicated with "+" and "-" icons on the back of the socket. Red to positive, black to negative. Check your power fuse at this time; the Buddy was missing a fuse, so I popped a fresh 2A fuse in from O'Reilley Auto.
Old and busted.
Old and busted.
Power to the old socket. They are reversed on the new one.
Power to the old socket. They are reversed on the new one.
New socket installed with weather plug in.
New socket installed with weather plug in.
The new unit is off by default. You have to pop the weather plug out to get to the power button. Tap once to power it on. The ring displays current system voltage (good for battery checks and stator function checks!) Tap the On-Off button again to charge a phone. A red light illuminates to the right of the USB ports to let you know it's in charge mode. The LED ring will show phone charge state until charging is complete. After a few minutes of a fully charged phone, it reverts back to showing vehicle voltage. Press and hold the On-Off button to turn it off.

It will not turn off when you switch the scooter off unless you rewire the old circuit for switched power.
New Socket On.jpg
Yes, I need to charge the Buddy's battery a bit. In summary, here's a pretty cost-effective and useful farkle for you Buddy. :mrgreen:
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...