The hooligan into buddy 170i engine swap

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Therealslimshaggy

The hooligan into buddy 170i engine swap

Post by Therealslimshaggy »

The obvious first question is Why? Well actually there is good reasoning. This idea came to mind for 3 reasons and the stars aligning just right during a full moon.

I plan to run my buddy 170i until it blows and rather than rebuild figure I’ll swap in a low mile used engine. Saw a used buddy 170i for 1000 bucks. Saw a hooligan engine for 500 bucks. Hooligan has 2k miles. Honestly I would take a hooligan engine over a free new buddy engine. Why?

Simple. Tire rub and tire choices. Length. Stability.
With the longer hooligan engine I could still run a 10 inch rim
But no longer worry about tire run running the 130 series tires. I wouldn’t run the 12 inch rear rim unless I changed to a 12 front which would be too much work. The slightly longer wheelbase would help with high speed stability. A longer shock might also help. It’s cheaper. 500 bucks. Should be plug and play
Yamaha Aerox 155, Genuine Roughhouse 50, Genuine buddy 170i, Yamaha Cygnus 125, Honda grom 125, Suzuki address 110 (uk110), Yamaha cuxi 115, Yamaha BWS 100 2t, Yamaha R6, Honda CR125, Kawasaki KX 500