Water cooled Buddy 50

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

wglasvegas

Water cooled Buddy 50

Post by wglasvegas »

I've done the 70cc big bore, pipe and clutch kits. Has anyone done the Malossi MHR replica air cooled or water cooled cylinder kits? I'm wondering if they can bolt on. I am at a dealership and we love racing so a setup with a water cooled cylinder and custom radiator and plumbing is possible. We race in the parking lot after hours, the KX65 super moto is the bike ii need to beat!
Last edited by wglasvegas on Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaos

Re: buddy 50 water cooled?

Post by Kaos »

I've not PERSONALLY done one, but I've seen them around. They fit. The trick is getting a radiator mounted.
I've had good luck with my 125's LC 4T swap mounting the radiator above the wheel. Staying cool so far!
wglasvegas

Post by wglasvegas »

Awesome!

I have been emailing a guy at scooter street in AU and he says the MHR kit for a Aerox will fit.
https://www.scooterstreet.com.au/produc ... aha-aerox/

I am a tech at a bmw motorcycle shop and I think a radiator from a water cooled R1200gs will be a good size for the front.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

wglasvegas wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:49 pm Awesome!

I have been emailing a guy at scooter street in AU and he says the MHR kit for a Aerox will fit.
https://www.scooterstreet.com.au/produc ... aha-aerox/

I am a tech at a bmw motorcycle shop and I think a radiator from a water cooled R1200gs will be a good size for the front.
Make sure you take the front cover and look inside the front of the Buddy first. There's not a lot of room in there for a radiator which is why I opted to rear mount mine. I used a single Vespa GTS 300 radiator on my install. They're not big, but its worked well so far.
wglasvegas

Post by wglasvegas »

Can you send a few pics of your setup?

I think if I do some cutting I can mount the radiator sideways and cut vents in the front cowl. It has a fan so it may cool enough.
I will do the Malossi water pump with controller so I would be able to tell if water temp is getting too hot.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

When I did a Yamaha pre-bug many moons ago I used 2 split radiators from a Toro commercial riding mower. One wnet in the leg shield and the other in the floor, with a scoop duct and computer fan moving air over it. It was a tight fit on that pre-bug.

Then when I later got into bug-eye tuning I just went air cooled. If I were to do it again I'd buy a already liquid cooled 2-stroke, like a Derbi Predator or an older Aprillia SR. I'm lazy now. A bunch of moped guys do liquid conversions to Honda Hobbit mopeds. Those things freaking fly when done right!
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Before I forget. Awhile back we had someone trying to liquid cool a Aerox motor from a Yamaha. What made this conversion promising was he re-purposing a Honda Ruckus radiator set-up. That is a interesting placement on the Ruckus from the factory, fan and water pump all contained in one tiny space on the side of the motor. He was trying to adapt it over to his 2-stroke build. I don't think he ever finished the project though. He moved on to mini motos.
wglasvegas

Post by wglasvegas »

Yeah that's the thing sc00ter, how far do you go! Ill update when I get things in place. We have a decent track set up at my dealership, it does get sketchy with going around motorcycle crates and a straight away with fencing on the side but its a blast after work so all of us tech's and my GM are pushing it a little more than we probably should!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

wglasvegas wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:04 am Can you send a few pics of your setup?

I think if I do some cutting I can mount the radiator sideways and cut vents in the front cowl. It has a fan so it may cool enough.
I will do the Malossi water pump with controller so I would be able to tell if water temp is getting too hot.
Yeah, I'll go snap some tomorrow. Its a little hard to see how its setup but I think I can squeeze my phone in there to get SOMETHING for ya :P
wglasvegas

Post by wglasvegas »

Awesome thanks Kaos.

I herd back from the AU guy and it looks like I'm getting a new crank to handle the extra power. I have parts coming from around the world for this build! This scooter was stolen from our shop originally and when it came back i asked my owner if i could get it for 200$ out the door. I can justify all the parts cost now because of that. I'm getting the stage 6 hcu to go with it and will premix the fuel for sure with the build.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Ok, this isn't the worlds greatest image but its jammed way up in there so its kinda hard to shoot it.

Its currently turned "vertical" so I can fit the boost pipe from my turbo through the other side but I originally had it installed horizontally which worked just as well and was easier to install.
wglasvegas

Post by wglasvegas »

Got all my parts on order so I got going on the radiator install. I will need to add a few more cut outs for better airflow through the front fairing but it seems like the setup should work. Not sure why the pics are side ways.
Attachments
IMG_4333.jpg
IMG_4332.jpg
IMG_4331.jpg
IMG_4330.jpg
wglasvegas

Post by wglasvegas »

Installed the stage 6 crank and Molossi MHR replica cylinder and head yesterday and got the engine back in the scoot. The next part is plumbing the coolant hoses from the radiator and installing the electric water pump and controller.
Attachments
IMG_4381.jpg
IMG_4380.jpg
IMG_4378.jpg
IMG_4379.jpg
wglasvegas

Post by wglasvegas »

Got the hoses figured out and routed today, next is wiring the water pump controller and radiator fan.
Attachments
IMG_4389.jpg
IMG_4388.jpg
IMG_4387.jpg
IMG_4386.jpg
wglasvegas

Re: Water cooled Buddy 50

Post by wglasvegas »

Got everything back together and adjusted the jetting a few times and the water pump controller. Everything works pretty good and a very noticeable increase in power. The next thing to do is try a few different clutch rollers and springs maybe, the longest straight in our parking lot track is maybe 150-200 feet so don't need much top speed.
Attachments
IMG_4394.jpg
IMG_4397.jpg
IMG_4396.jpg
IMG_4395.jpg