Front Wheel Removal Buddy 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kalajosh

Front Wheel Removal Buddy 125

Post by kalajosh »

Hi, I was wondering how do you remove the front wheel of a buddy 125?
sc00ter

Re: Front Wheel Removal Buddy 125

Post by sc00ter »

If I recall the service manual PDF is posted on this site. I don't have a Buddy anymore but removing the front wheel was not hard. A few pointers is not covered in the service manual:
DO NOT squeeze the front brake lever when the caliper is removed from the rotor! A friend did it on accident, not fun to re-open.
The speedo cable will come out of the housing, I use a piece masking tape over the end of the housing after removal.
I'm trying to remember why we opened the handlebar cowl and why we disconnected the speedo cable at the top?????
You'll need a torque wrench to tighten everything to spec. You can rent them for free from any auto parts store.
Again, the service manual is on this site.
Good luck! Doing service yourself will give you confidence to tackle other service items in the future.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Start by taking the the nut off the axle. Then remove the two bolts holding the brake caliper on. Then pull the axle out. The wheel should come right out.

To re-install I believe I start by getting the brake caliper on the rotor**. Then I put the axle back in and tighten the nut. There will be a small spacer on the brake side and the speedometer cable is on the other side. I like to grease the speedometer part(usually I grease the axle and spacer too.) The last step is to tighten the bolts on the brake caliper. To do that I get them finger tight then I squeeze the brake a few times then hold the brake lever while tightening the bolts.

I like to hang some weight off the rear rack to make sure the front end stays up in the air. I will remove the weight when I start to put everything back together.

*I believe you can get the wheel out without removing the brake caliper but it takes a little more wiggling and you will probably have to remove it to re-install.

**I think you might be able to re-install the wheel before putting the brake caliper on but I can remember the exact order right now since it has been a while since I have changed a front tire. Either way it can be a little tricky to get it all back together.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Good advice. I never disconnect the cable at the speedo unless I'm taking off the headset.

I use a composite or cedar shim to keep the pads apart once I remove the caliper. Have you ever pulled the front wheel on a Blackjack? You have to remove the rotor or disconnect the caliper at the brake line and take the caliper with it, damn oversize rotor.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
kalajosh

Post by kalajosh »

Thanks everybody. Does anyone know the nut size and torque for the axle nut?
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

kalajosh wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:05 pm Thanks everybody. Does anyone know the nut size and torque for the axle nut?
I don't remember the sizes of the nut or the bolt, I would have to go look.

The torque is is 3-4 kg/m or roughly 22-29 ft/lb. Page 83 - http://www.modernbuddy.com/pdf/buddy125 ... manual.pdf
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

17mm and 14mm
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I might be on the hunt for a old school paper service manual for a Buddy 125 again. I gave my old copy to the guy I sold my last 2 Buddy's to and kinda regret it. All my handwritten notes were in that manual. Oh well, live and learn. But thanks for posting the PDF link scootERIK!