DTC CODES ON A BUDDY KICK

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Ipso_no_facto

DTC CODES ON A BUDDY KICK

Post by Ipso_no_facto »

Does anyone know what the Diagnostic Trouble Codes P0508 and P0261 means when being seen on a Buddy Kick. I'd be happy to have any info on any codes for any Genuine Scooter actually. I figure there has to be some similarity anyways. I don't have any other issues. The engine light isn't on and so far no issues with the ride itself, engine or other aspects of the bike. Diag page just says DTC -2 and when you long click on that page, you get the result of

DTC COUNT 2
01.P0261*
02.P0508*

Thanks for any insight on these at all.
sc00ter

Re: DTC CODES ON A BUDDY KICK

Post by sc00ter »

Do you have a dealership nearby? I recently came back to the Buddy 125 for its simplicity. My prior scooter, a Liberty 150, was having a rouge CEL and the nearest dealer is 100 miles away. I'm sure someone knows how to find the trouble codes for your Kick. But in the meantime, what has changed? Do any major services? Swap any parts out lately? Also:
A weakening battery can trigger codes.
A failing stator/charging system can also throw codes.
Spark plug cap on tight?
I was told my random CEL was "possibly" due to a faulty 02 sensor.
Sorry I don;t have any useful info to help you out. Hopefully someone will provide the info you seek.
Ipso_no_facto

Post by Ipso_no_facto »

But thanks for the input just the same my friend. As far as anything new done to the bike, no not really. I did change the oil about 3 mos ago and these codes started 2 days ago, so I don't really see a correlation, It about the 4th one I've done, and it is a fairly straight foreword process. But sure, maybe. As far as a weakening battery is concerned, yes, for the last 4 months its been slow to start in the morning, never failing, but you would have to hold it down longer than previously. I had chalked it up to the unusually cool weather we had been having in the Phoenix area. Its not 3 years old yet, so I had hoped to have it for at least another year before replacing it. Unfortunately, unlike the 125, the KICK doesnt have the additional Kick start Ironically, so a bad battery leaves me dead in the water, so I've got a new one on the way just to be sure. Additionally, unlike the regular Buddy 125 my Buddy KICK has Fuel Injection, which is an area i have no experience with.

If it was carbureted I might feel comfortable in working on it myself, and to answer your question unfortunately again, my dealership is 120 miles up a mountain, and the next nearest is 160 miles to Tuscon. They have been a pretty good place to deal with in all other aspects. There is this new one listed on the Genuine site that's supposed to be in Phoenix, but every time I've called and asked they say no they are not Genuine Dealers, but Ill try again cuz its been a 6 months ago that I tried to find out why theyre listed anyways. Its just certainly not the dealership in which I bought the bike. In any event I do have an email into my dealership, we'll see what they say if they respond. In the meantime, I'll try looking at the spark plug etc as you mentioned. What was wrong with the Piaggio? I do agree the actual Buddy 125 is as about as tight a scooter as the Honda Spree was, simple etc, but it was just too temperamental like a 60s Vespa or was it the ride on bigger wheels?

Thanks again man, I appreciate any ideas at all. I really wanted to do most of the Maintenace myself, learn what I dont know, but I gotta figure out what IS wrong first. I hope someone here will know the answer or even better yet know how to get the answer to what these codes are... eventually anyways
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

My Piaggio Liberty 150 has been a outright tank. Just getting ready to hit 30,000 miles BUT I got the dreaded Check Engine Light (CEL) start randomly popping up. Then, it just lost power on the way to work. Turned it off and back on again, totally normal. I wasn't about to run it 100 miles one way for a PADS hook-up, so I looked around and found a "warranty center" 10 miles from my house. Drop it off, they take 2 weeks, fix it and $240 later all good. A week later, same thing happened again. I'm done with complicated scooters. I just ride to and from work now. So my wife said to just "Get another Buddy.".

The Buddy 125's my wife and I owned never reared their heads. Just ran and ran. Mine hit 40,000 miles before I sold it. My wife's hit 26,000 miles before she quit riding. The only reason I didn't just get another Buddy 125 was because the Liberty fits my wife and I both comfortably. But now she doesn't ride as a passenger anymore, so back to a Buddy 125 for me. This will probably be my last gas powered scooter anyways. Ebikes are getting closer to what I want and need in a ebike to sway me to one (ebike) as a full time commuter.

I almost ordered a Piaggio BV400, but the less than stellar local support, or the dread of driving 100 miles each way, just doesn't appeal to me anymore. I really wanted another Honda but they don't make anything I like.

What made you pick a Kick over a Buddy? I will say the Kick is a good looking scooter! Makes the Buddy look dated. I've never seen a Kick in person. I have a Genuine dealer 4 miles from my house and the Genuine dealer 100 miles away said hey never ordered one. Both dealers said the money is in the 50cc scooters. I see a bunch of Rough House scooters running around my area!
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Hard to beat a simple carburetor when your scooter starts acting up. I had a fuel injection problem on my Burgman. Took me almost 5 months to get it back on the road. Had the help of a friend who is an ASE certified Audi mechanic. We didn't figure the problem out until I had the same scooter sitting next to it where we could swap fi parts one by one until we found the culprit. Fuel injection is real nice when it works like it should.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Yeah DeeDee, I'm going back to easy and simple. As much as I hate carbs sometimes I do know my way around them. I'm just tired of being a prisoner to a PADS* computer, and hope that the warden knows how to use the PADS computer. Apparently the prison that charged me around $240 to connect to PADS and fix my Liberty didn't, as the original problem completely came back tonight on the way home.

Now, to Ipso. Check the following:
Check that the battery terminals are tight and making good contact. Also corrosion free.
Check for a tight spark plug cap. Also look for any visible damage of the plug cap.
If you can find a wiring diagram check the ground strap. It's sometimes connected to the transmission cover.
That's all I can think of for now, but all the above can trigger a CEL.

*PADS = Piaggio Advanced Diagnostic System.
Ipso_no_facto

Post by Ipso_no_facto »

sc00ter wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:56 am Yeah DeeDee, I'm going back to easy and simple. As much as I hate carbs sometimes I do know my way around them. I'm just tired of being a prisoner to a PADS* computer, and hope that the warden knows how to use the PADS computer. Apparently the prison that charged me around $240 to connect to PADS and fix my Liberty didn't, as the original problem completely came back tonight on the way home.

Now, to Ipso. Check the following:
Check that the battery terminals are tight and making good contact. Also corrosion free.
Check for a tight spark plug cap. Also look for any visible damage of the plug cap.
If you can find a wiring diagram check the ground strap. It's sometimes connected to the transmission cover.
That's all I can think of for now, but all the above can trigger a CEL.

*PADS = Piaggio Advanced Diagnostic System.
sc00ter : as far as the KICK is concerned, first it was the "looks". It looks like the Vespa LX I really wanted but couldn't afford. And then over the regular Buddy due to things like the bigger bore engine 51.5 vs 54mm. Then you get the Fuel Injection that I may in fact be regretting right about now, but which normally is an addition that adds a great deal of quickness that I didn't feel with the regular 125. When you add up the engine qualifications, you get 9.7 vs 11.1 Bhp, which isn't much of an increase, but when you're talking low powerband bikes, it makes a difference. My commute to dialysis includes a lot 45mph roads which usually have a rate of travel a lot faster than that, so I need to regularly get up to 55-60mph. But more than a top end that both bike have, its the quickness that the Kick has via that EFI (knock on some wood as I hope its not seriously the Electronic Fuel Injection) Oh and also, I'm not that tall a person and the seat ride-height of 28.5 inches was the lowest in the industry when I was looking 2 years ago. What am I forgetting??? The under-seat trunk is bigger, I think. You get rear and front hydraulic breaks, the thing stops a on a dime. I think it came with a better warranty with a year of roadside assistance too. There are some other things, Im sure Im forgetting.

BTW, I am going to start out trying to track down the problem this next weekend. Ill go down your checklist there. all sound advice just to isolate the problem if nothing else, thanks man.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Don't have any regrets, we buy what we like, and I agree the Kick is a good looking scoot! I'm hoping its something simple and you get it sorted. Keep us posted on your findings. What do I like to say? Knowledge is power, share it!

I've owned a bit of everything and you wanna know my biggest regret? Suzuki Burgman 200. I literally self-destructed at 24,000 miles. Oil leak, fuel leak and anti-freeze all at he same time. I know what your'e thinking-fix it! It had the most difficult panels to remove of any scooter I've ever owned! I just started breaking all the tabs I couldn't get to with a crowbar. Almost all the panels were held on with velcro and magnets by the time I was done! I ended up fixing everything and giving it to a friend who needed a better scooter. You should have seen the Silverwing he gave me! Yikes!

I was half tempted to get a SYM CityCom 300i again. I bought one for $1000 with 25,000 hard miles on it and put on another 15,000 hard miles on it before a end bearing failed. The first 25,000 miles were almost all highway, pegged full throttle. I have a SYM dealer a few miles from my house but I get a "Eh...." feeling about letting them work on anything. Shame as a CityCom is a awesome scooter for the price.

One of my friends has a Yamaha Xmax 300. He's gonna be bummed when he see's the Buddy 125. So I might start looking for a clean Honda Helix. I love those weird looking scooters. Make it a weekend fun vehicle. I know most guys want something cool, like a Harley or something "big", but I've owned 2 Helix's in the past and loved them both. I no longer ride like a jackass so I think a Helix will survive my needs now that I'm older. I beat the wheels of both of my Helix's when I had them. High-sided one and T-boned a car on the other one.