Buddy 150 Replacement Exhaust

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jc4690

Buddy 150 Replacement Exhaust

Post by jc4690 »

Hi, the exhaust on my 2009 Genuine Buddy 150 Saint Tropez broke recently and I've been trying to find a good replacement. I got the NCY exhaust, but my model has a wider center stand than normal so I couldn't mount it. I even tried removing the center stand, but I found that it was welded to the body. I also can't order the Prima sports exhaust because it's banned in my state (California). Does anyone know any good OEM exhausts that work for the buddy? I'm also going to make a wanted post in the sales section, but I wanted to post here too since my problems seems somewhat unique. I'm getting kind of desperate and have considered cutting off the center stand as well. I got the scooter very cheap so I don't mind doing some major work on it, I just want it to run.

Thanks!
Oakland CA
sc00ter

Re: Buddy 150 Replacement Exhaust

Post by sc00ter »

I'm unaware of any differences in the exhaust but I did have a brand new OEM Buddy exhaust for a 150cc. That was what the motor was and the emission label on the new exhaust said. I gave the motor and all the extras away (the new exhaust was in the pile of extras) and I haven't spoken to the guy anymore about it. But again, I don't recall anything different. I love the NCY exhaust. Excellent quality and quiet enough with the baffle installed.

Perhaps someone with more concrete knowledge will chime in. I do need to text the guy I dumped the motor and extras on but I highly doubt he still has any of it.
jc4690

Post by jc4690 »

The guys at Hot Street Scooters at FL told me over the phone that this is sometime a problem with certain models of buddies.
Oakland CA
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

I don't really have any good info to add since I have never heard of this issue but I will say that putting the stock exhaust or the NCY exhaust on a regular Buddy 125 can be a real pain. There is one right way to install them and they go right on but if you are off even a little they won't go on.

I would be interest in some pictures and measurements of the wider centerstand.
jc4690

Post by jc4690 »

Here's some pictures with measurements. My main problem is actually fitting the exhaust header between the center stand and the body. Let me know if you need anything else! It also has an oil cooler which I'm told is unusual for this kind of scooter.
IMG_1216.jpg
IMG_1218.jpg
IMG_1219.jpg
Oakland CA
jc4690

Post by jc4690 »

Maybe I have the same problem as the 125? What's the proper method to install?
Oakland CA
jc4690

Post by jc4690 »

Here are photos of the exhaust too, maybe I got sent the wrong one?
IMG_1229.jpg
IMG_1230.jpg
Oakland CA
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

What's the deal with your centerstand? Any aftermarket exhaust states fitment for 125, 150 and 170i. If there is something added to your centerstand, doubtful if you will find any exhaust that will fit. I know you have to slide the header pipe in and rotate to get it to fit on a 125.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-04-10 8.40.36 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-04-10 8.40.36 PM.png (33.97 KiB) Viewed 5586 times
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
jc4690

Post by jc4690 »

I'm not sure if anything was added. I've attached more photos to describe the problem. When trying to install the pipe by sliding it under the center stand, there's not enough space between the body and the stand. When I told the guys at hot street (where I bought the part) they said that its a known problem with the center stand width on some models.
IMG_1235.jpg
I've tried rotating it, but it seems like the dimensions just don't match up
IMG_1231.jpg
IMG_1233.jpg
Do I just need to try harder with rotating it?
Oakland CA
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

When I install the exhaust the "muffler" part stays pretty close to the ground and then I try to get the other end anywhere close to the engine. This step takes some twisting and turning. Once I get it close then I get the holes lined up with the studs. I don't think you should have to lift the "muffler" part higher than the rear foot platform. I believe you can put the scooter on the side stand to get a better angle.
jc4690

Post by jc4690 »

Sadly I've tried that way and there's no way that would work. The way it's bent, the only way I can get hole of the pipe anywhere close to the whole with the screws is by rotating it that way. Otherwise it stops way before.
Oakland CA
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Tomorrow I will take a look at my NCY exhaust and take some pictures but looking at the pictures you posted there is a chance you have the wrong exhaust. In the picture it looks like the pipe is too long that has the flange on it, the part between the two red arrows in the picture below. If you look at the picture scooterworks has posted you can see the pipe is different- https://www.scooterworks.com/NCY-Perfor ... 5-150-170i
or here
https://www.monsterscooterparts.com/cat ... gIVy_D_BwE

After looking at it more and the other Buddy exhaust it appears the upper mounting point is different and the heat shield is different too, but they might have changed the design. And it would also appear that the pipe is too long and straight on the "muffler" end, the section with the green arrows in the picture below. It is looking like you have the wrong exhaust. I will get mine out tomorrow and post some pictures.

scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

It's the wrong exhaust. I just looked at mine and it is completely different.

jc4690

Post by jc4690 »

Ah that clears up so much for me! Thank you. I'll be returning the part and asking for a full refund. They were very insistent that they had sent me the right part.
Oakland CA