2016 Buddy 125 initial acceleration issue

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

w0lei

2016 Buddy 125 initial acceleration issue

Post by w0lei »

My 2016 Buddy 125 is having intermittent "bogging" issues only when first throttling from a complete stop. It doesn't die, it feels to me like it's bogs for a few seconds then runs fine. This is intermittent and happens when hot or cold, full tank or half tank etc. The carb has been throughly cleaned, valves adjusted and a new spark plug. This may happen one to three times during a 40 mile ride. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I should be clear that it only happens briefly, a matter of seconds and only when first applying throttle.
The gas cap is vented. I bought it November of 22 with 2k miles, I have put 2500 miles on it since.
sc00ter

Re: 2016 Buddy 125 initial acceleration issue

Post by sc00ter »

Did it do this before the carb rebuild, and still does it after the carb rebuild? Assuming the carb is done correctly I would:
Change the fuel filter. Cheap and easy.
Miles wise your coming up on a transmission overhaul. Do the following:
New belt.
New rollers unless they look perfect.
V-slides.
All of the above is normal. Additionally:
Ensure the torque driver halves slide freely and there's still grease in it.
Gently de-glaze the inner clutch bell and clutch shoes.

Just curious, how was the carb cleaned? Did you just disassemble it and spray it with carb cleaner? Or did you disassemble it and soak the body in a Ultra Sonic cleaner? Could be a passageway still clogged. And did you ensure the float height was set correctly?

Please post you findings when you get it sorted.
w0lei

Post by w0lei »

The carb wasn't rebuilt just cleaned. Soaked overnight and brushed, I ran a small wire through the jet. The issue has been present since I got it at 2000 miles. I did not check the float level however. I am curious as to why it is only an intermittent issue and only lasts a few seconds. I will replace the fuel filter today. I am going to replace the belt and rollers (with sliders) when I reach 5000 miles.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

In the meantime, run a tank or two of Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner thru it. Good stuff.

As it being a random issue I'm not sure. Someone else will chime in and toss out more ideas. I hate random issues.

Is the spark plug cap on tight? No cracks on the plug boot?

I'll keep thinking as well.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

If it was mine I would start with a CVT cleaning. Mainly cleaning the front variator and inspecting the rollers. You can also check the drive faces to see if there are any smooth part. You can even give the drive faces a quick cleaning with some sand paper. There is a good chance it's not the transmission but 4,500 miles it is due for a cleaning and it will eliminate one possible cause.

Second I would take another look at the carb making sure the jets are really clean. It doesn't take much gunk to clog these carbs up and they can be a little finicky at times.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Before you start spending money on CVT parts, check your sparkplug cap. I had a similar problem. I went through the carb 2 times. Cap had slightly worn and wasn't making full contact with the plug tip at idle.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
tenders

Post by tenders »

I agree, the spark plug and wire are trivially easy to check but your symptoms sound like the variator or clutch is sticking in “high” gear, making it difficult for the engine to accelerate. I would blow out and clean up all dust in there and probably replace the rollers and belt if for no other reason than to acknowledge that they can get funky due to age and exposure to water/dust.
w0lei

Post by w0lei »

Okay, thank you. I have to wait till the 1st of the month then I'll replace the belt and rollers. I'm considering upgrading the variator assembly. I'm a larger rider (200lbs) and I'm happy with acceleration when it doesn't bog but it feels like it's lacking top end speed. Other than cleaning the cvt area is there anything I should know or be aware of during belt and roller replacement?
I have replaced the belt and Dr. Pulley sliders on my 2t 50cc so my guess is the 125 should be similar.
w0lei

Post by w0lei »

The way it feels, I automatically thought it was a fuel or spark issue, I did not stop to think it could be something with the CVT.
Since I'll be replacing the belt and rollers, has anyone had experience with a Malossi or Polini variator kit? I also looked at the NCY kit but I'm not familiar with that company.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

You have a 125 w/ about 4,500 miles on it? No way the belt and rollers are your problem unless others have been in there mucking about and changing out stock parts. Bando stock belt is good for 10k, rollers usually the same. You have an intermittent failure of some sort. I'm 200 lbs. My 125 is about to hit 17,000 miles. I changed the original belt at 12,000 miles. Do you know another 125 owner you can get together and swap out some parts? I'd start w/ coil, wire and cap then the carb since it was just worked on.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

My fat booty is 220 and my Buddy 125 is quick bone stock. Have yet to do a top speed run on my new Buddy but Genuine got the 125 tuned pretty well from the factory. That being said, I know my friend swapped variators. IF I recall is was a NCY. He also purchased tuning rollers. We did a bunch of Butt Dyno runs with his GPS before settling on whatever roller weights worked best before ordering new/permanent ones. This guy was 250 to 270 pounds.
tenders

Post by tenders »

Schmutz happens - it could be the rollers or belt even at that mileage. A binding transmission does fit the symptoms. Age could be a factor, and who knows what a well-intentioned previous owner sprayed or spilled in there, or swapped in, or what water got in there while being flooded, stored, or driven outside.
w0lei

Post by w0lei »

Okay, sorry for the delayed reply. So after cleaning the carburetor again, replacing the coil/plug cap, and fuel filter the issue happend again after 30 miles. I got into the CVT, the belt looked okay to the naked eye but when I opened the variator, it was full of rubber dust. The sliders were covered but not worn and the variator faces were black from the dust but not grooved. I inspected the clutch and the pads were glazed but just a touch of sandpaper took off the glazing. I throughly cleaned everything with alcohol and scratch pad and replaced the belt. Victory is mine, I took a 45 mile spin and the scooter performed flawlessly. So the issue was in fact the belt. It was a PGO C21220010001 Bando Belt. No cracks or fraying, just worn narrow.