Variator Stuck

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kalajosh

Variator Stuck

Post by kalajosh »

Hi, whenever I need to take my variator off it gets stuck on the crank shaft. I took some pictures. I have to use a gear puller to break it loose. I forgot to take a picture of the shaft though.
Attachments
20230503_014504.jpg
20230503_014445.jpg
scootERIK

Re: Variator Stuck

Post by scootERIK »

Those teeth look messed up. That part should come off pretty easily, at least in my experience. My first thought is the jerk you have had during acceleration put to much stress on the variator and now the teeth are damaged, or if wasn't put together properly. You might want to buy another.
tenders

Post by tenders »

It’s hard to tell from these photos what’s going on here, but I had a little problem in which I slightly damaged the ends of the splines on the axle. The kickstarter ring wan’t properly seated on the shaft and bunged up the splines as I tightened the nut. Anyway, as a result the variator got hung up on the splines and because it was aluminum and the shaft is steel, the variator wouldn’t come off.

The fix was to very judiciously clean up the edges of the splines with a thin diamond file, which is sold in a set at Harbor Freight. Just a few gentle strokes on the outer tip of each face of the splines was enough to solve the problem. 30 seconds, tops, for all the splines. And I made a note to myself not to put that nut back unless everything under it is obviously perfectly aligned!
kalajosh

Post by kalajosh »

Will this one fit?
Complete Variator Kits for Gy6 125cc/150cc 152QMI/157QMJ Engine, Drive Wheel Assy Performance 14 Gram Rollers CVT Front Clutch for Scooter Atv and Gokart (GY6 125/150) https://a.co/d/18w4zGP
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

You have the splines cleaned up on both the variator and the crankshaft? Are there other issues with it? The PGO variator is excellent quality. It seems to mate very well with DR. Pulley Sliders. Whey are you looking to replace it with a $20 Chinese variator? If you pull the clutch when you're working on the variator, it's possible to tighten down the front variator without having the belt in place. This helps get everything where it is supposed to be. Once the variator is torqued to spec, squeeze the belt deep down into the clutch pulleys, and now slip it over the variator. If you have the belt down as deep as it can go, you have enough room to get the clutch on the shaft.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
kalajosh

Post by kalajosh »

Next time I'm in there I will use the file on the teeth/splines. I have done it on the shaft but not the variator teeth. Where can I buy the pgo variator?
tenders

Post by tenders »

I get my parts variously from ScooterPartsCo, Scooter Lounge, Scooterworks, ScooterWest, PowerSportsOutlet, eBay, Amazon, AF1Racing, and SIP-Scootershop in Germany. Though the last two don’t carry Buddy-specific stuff.