Scooter on a date

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

The Ninja

Scooter on a date

Post by The Ninja »

I am newly single (Thank God) and of course thinking about dating again. My question is this. Do I tell the girl on the first date that I have a scooter. I think some will think it is geeky. I am enough of a geek I don't need any more ammo. :) I think that the mention a scooter will go one of two ways. The girl will either never call me again or she will think it is neat and want a ride.

Any thoughts on this?
Steven
Touting the benefit of the Buddy 50cc one post at a time
louie

Post by louie »

if she thinks it cool you'll have a second date...
lojical1

Post by lojical1 »

Do you plan on ditching ur scooter if she thinks it dorky? If the scooter is here to stay, then why wouldn't you bring it up? I know when I tell people I own a scooter, they automatically think of the little skateboard with a stick joint, but then I show them pictures, and they're like "Wow, thats really cool!" Or they just say "Good for you" like I'm one of those kids in the slow class that finally tied their shoe. But I digress.

If your excited about your scooter, show your enthusiasm to her. She may even want to go back to your place to sit on it 8)
"I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive."
-Spike Spiegel

If ur not scared u aint drivin' fast enough .
The Ninja

Post by The Ninja »

The scooter is hear to stay. I agree that acceptance extends to hobbies. I hate to use this, but if I say I own a own a scooter like a Vespa then they will know what I am talking about.

I love the idea of coming back to my place to sit on it, the scooter of course. :)

Shoot I live so close to bars and restaruants we could take it out on the night. I guess I am a bit worried because the ex thought it was a waste of money.

Maybe I just need to find a scooter chick.
Steven
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I would clarify it is not the kind with a skate board/stick! It is true some people do picture those. If they think the buddy is dorky-the heck with them!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Plan for somewhere local, and get there on flat smooth roads, pick up the girl, she will be impressed.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

I think I understand your apprehension. A lot of people who aren't familiar with scooters can get the wrong idea in their head when you talk about scooters. BUT when they SEE a scooter in person they tend to warm up to them. So I guess what I'm saying is if you're going to tell her about your scooter you might as well show it to her... and if she'd like to take a ride with you it would definitely be a memorable first date :)

Even if you're not comfortable going two-up it's still fun to sit on together and let her honk the horn and such ;)

Beyond all that, if she doesn't dig the Buddy she's lame and nuts to her :P
Last edited by Corsair on Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
lojical1

Post by lojical1 »

Of course, you should bring along an extra helmet, if thats the case.

I don't know how you feel about helmets, but least offer it up as an option if riding is something she would be interested in.
-Spike Spiegel

KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

"I say hurl. If you blow chunks and she comes back, she's yours. But if you spew and she bolts, then it was never meant to be."
-Wayne Campbell

(Just switch the hurling with telling her about the scooter)
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Dont make her use the passenger handle bars on the back of the bike, too dangerous still, if you want better stability, tell her to hold your waist, when you lean, she leans too since she is against you. Same goes for any passenger, it's always safer and easier to ride when the passenger holds you, you become 1!
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

plus it's a proven fact if you go through a dangerous/scary/high-adrenaline experience with someone you naturally feel more connected/attached to that person... It's all about biochemistry & such.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

The Ninja wrote:the ex thought it was a waste of money.

Maybe I just need to find a scooter chick.
Well...maybe thats why she's the ex! :twisted:

But Seriously...

SCOOTER CHICKS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok really seriously...stear the conversation around to vehicles...specifically Hummers. Bring up the fact that many many Hummer owners are making up for a lack of...equipment.

When she argees...tell her you ride a scooter...then watch her smile!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

My wife has her own scooter 8)
250koala

Post by 250koala »

Guys on scooters are HOT
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

250koala wrote:Guys on scooters are HOT
Thank you :lol:
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I don't think anyone in this forum will argue the fact that scooter dudes & chicks
are the hottest dudes & chicks around... no contest. :wink:
Keys

Post by Keys »

If she bases her opinion of you on you riding a scooter, perhaps she's not worth dating in the first place...

Be kinda like you basing your opinion of her on what shoes she's wearing.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

If it comes up in the course of conversation, it comes up. But if you make a point of mentioning it or use it as some kind of litmus test, she may be able to sense that something's up.

Also, you may want to try to avoid talking about it as much as I talk about scooters, or mentioning your "friends" on the Net forums... You might come across as obsessed and maybe a little weird. :)

As far as taking her for a spin—might want to wait until she's the one to suggest that. And do you have an extra helmet for the occasion should it arise?

If she doesn't warm to it at first, but you really like her, give her a shot; not everyone finds their inner scooterist as fast as many of us. As I frequently point out, my wife hated my scooter when I bought it—wouldn't even look at it. Then she got curious... then she got a scoot.

Either way, good luck!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
The Ninja

Post by The Ninja »

Some great thoughts everyone. I think I am going to take the wait and see approach. If vehicles come up in conversation then I will mention it and roll with her reaction. I will of course dispell her thoughts that it is a Razor scooter. :)

I need to buy a full face helmet and keep the half helmet as a spare.

Being single has been a lot of fun, but it is soon after the break up and the fun of being alone will not last long I am sure. I need to get back up and ride.

Oh and thank you 250koala :)
Steven
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

ericalm wrote: Also, you may want to try to avoid talking about it as much as I talk about scooters, or mentioning your "friends" on the Net forums... You might come across as obsessed and maybe a little weird. :)
great point ...lol
Christy

Post by Christy »

don't hide it!!!

scooters are cool!
EPSP #76
The Ninja

Post by The Ninja »

Well I get to put it to the test tomorrow night. :) If it vehicles come up then I will mention it. Maybe it can wait until the second date. :)
Steven
Keys

Post by Keys »

...you're kinda acting like riding a scooter is something you do in private and wash your hands afterwards...

--Keys 8)
250koala

Post by 250koala »

Scooters are appealing in so many ways. The Buddy is very user friendly. It's economic. The less money you gotta spend on fuel, the more money you have to spend on your date.

Easy to park. You get to park so much closer to most places.(Rockstar parking)

You can play up the romantic side of the scooter. (See Roman Holiday, Under the Tuscan Sun..Transformers Uh well maybe not that last one..)

If she is adventurous, put your jacket and helmet on her and have hop on the back.

If you are adventurous, maybe after a few dates or so teach her how to operate the scooter.

If it' practical maybe a little ride out to a dealership.

A scooter says to me "Hey, I don't have to compensate for anything. I'm cool and relaxed." and THAT is HOT.
Ms. Milan

Post by Ms. Milan »

I think you would be a shoe in if you introduced the scoot in a romantic way. Tell her you would like to plan a romantic picnic and let her know you will be picking her up on the scoot. That way she knows what to wear. Make sure you pack a nice lunch, some vino and nice glasses. Remember not to drink to much. Tie the picnic basket on your rear rack. Or pick up the basket scooterworks offers. You will pick up some serious points. Thoughtful, romantic ....what else can a girl ask for????

You must let us know how it goes.
Attachments
BASKETR.jpg
BASKETR.jpg (6.05 KiB) Viewed 2823 times
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

Well, I have also found, in my excitement of telling everyone Im getting a scooter (eventually) that I have to say "A scooter, you know, like a Vespa" otherwise people Do think of like Razor scooters. Things to make note of when scooter dating, and especially if your going to take her/him on a ride...
1. AS mentioned above, make note that your scooter is like a Vespa, because most people know what that is, otherwise you will be a geek :nerd: .
2. Keep a picture handy of your scooter, but not like a centerfold in your wallet,more like on your camera phone, it seems more cool then.
3. If they inquire about your scooter, tell them how fun it is, but dont reminisce about all the good times you had- people without scooters cant imagine the joy, so dont go overbard- tell them they should experience it for themselves. :mrgreen:
4. If you offer a ride on your scooter:
A. Make sure you can drive a scooter with a passenger! If you havent tried to with another person before, practice with a friend who wont dump you if you dump them (on the ground) B. As said above, carry an extra helmet and maybe even an extra jacket, safety first (if you give her/him your helmet, then you are not protected, and she/he will be the only one with helmet hair) C. Dont drive unfirmiliar roads that you might not be able to handle- takeing a romantic scoot down to the lake sounds nice, but bouncing and jiggling over the dirt road might not be romantic, more like sickening :bleh: .
5. Make sure the person is OK with going fast on a small object- (I havent personally ridden a scooter yet, but the thought of going fast scares me)
6. Make sure your person knows how to stay on the scoot, knows where to hold, and what to do. (If you are a girl transporting a guy, make sure he knows that grabbing your boob while your driving is not a good idea- unless thats what you want :wink: )
7. Dont drive to impress, dont drive past your abilities.
8. HAVE FUN, Its an easy way to get close to a girl/guy when your sitting doubled up on a scooter!

(PS, Looking for scooter dude for this (soon to be) Scooter Chick) :D
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Valgal20 wrote:(PS, Looking for scooter dude for this (soon to be) Scooter Chick)
tee hee, Valgal you need to start your own match-making service based entirely on scooter compatibility. Well, maybe just MOSTLY on scooter compatibility... I guess some other stuff counts too :roll: .
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

I get asked all kinds of questions about the scooter at work from more women then men. I would tell them. Women seem to be attracted to scoots. I know my wife sure loves hers.
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
Keys

Post by Keys »

...my scooter scares 'em away. :twisted:

--Keys
poop colored buddy

Post by poop colored buddy »

the buddy is a total magnet for the ladies. Represent with pride, and the girls will love it. One more thing to think about.......You know the saying about guys with large trucks??? Well what would that mean then if a guy rides a small scooter?? Think about it.....she will be.
I have the scoots!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

poop colored buddy wrote:the buddy is a total magnet for the ladies. Represent with pride, and the girls will love it. One more thing to think about.......You know the saying about guys with large trucks??? Well what would that mean then if a guy rides a small scooter?? Think about it.....she will be.
Says the guy who has a Buddy 50... ;)
Does that mean your status changed when you got the Stella?

And what does that mean for those poor guys on Burgmans?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
louie

Post by louie »

ericalm wrote:...
Does that mean your status changed when you got the Stella? ...
that happens? :?
honestly, i don't know how you guys live with that. (sentiment stolen from siefeld)
Drumwoulf

Re: Scooter on a date

Post by Drumwoulf »

The Ninja wrote:I am newly single (Thank God) and of course thinking about dating again. My question is this. Do I tell the girl on the first date that I have a scooter. I think some will think it is geeky. I am enough of a geek I don't need any more ammo. :) I think that the mention a scooter will go one of two ways. The girl will either never call me again or she will think it is neat and want a ride.

Any thoughts on this?
You'd better ask the scooter first if it's all right... It might not like you dating again!! :twisted:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
The Ninja

Re: Scooter on a date

Post by The Ninja »

Drumwoulf wrote:
The Ninja wrote:I am newly single (Thank God) and of course thinking about dating again. My question is this. Do I tell the girl on the first date that I have a scooter. I think some will think it is geeky. I am enough of a geek I don't need any more ammo. :) I think that the mention a scooter will go one of two ways. The girl will either never call me again or she will think it is neat and want a ride.

Any thoughts on this?
You'd better ask the scooter first if it's all right... It might not like you dating again!! :twisted:
Between the scooter and my Puggle the girl is going to have a lot of competition. :D
Steven
Eddy Merckx

Post by Eddy Merckx »

Ms. Milan wrote:I think you would be a shoe in if you introduced the scoot in a romantic way. Tell her you would like to plan a romantic picnic and let her know you will be picking her up on the scoot. That way she knows what to wear. Make sure you pack a nice lunch, some vino and nice glasses. Remember not to drink to much. Tie the picnic basket on your rear rack. Or pick up the basket scooterworks offers. You will pick up some serious points. Thoughtful, romantic ....what else can a girl ask for????

You must let us know how it goes.
You are so right, Me and Mrs. Merckx go on scooter picnics a lot during the warm part of the year and it is always great fun, a good way to explore your world. Find a scenic spot with a view and your in like Flint... and do tell us how it went...
"Social graces, got any"
pocphil
Dealer

Post by pocphil »

I've been under-compensating for years.
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
18636 Detroit Rd.
Lakewood, Ohio 44107
216-227-1964
www.clevelandmoto.com
lojical1

Post by lojical1 »

Valgal20 wrote: (PS, Looking for scooter dude for this (soon to be) Scooter Chick) :D

Hey, ericalm, maybe there should be a "Personals" section on the forum.

"BUD125 iso BUD125/150 for fast times, and hot rides. Must enjoy bugs, helmet hair, and tolerant of bad drivers. Razor 'scooters' need not apply"
-Spike Spiegel

Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

HERE IS MY SINGLES ADD- WHAT DO YOU THINK?(really soon to be) :arrow: Scooter Chick, SWF, Looking for scooter Dude. Must have/like/want scooter. Must be friendly/funny/intriguing individual. Perhaps an interesting fellow who is always one to participate in nude scootering events :wink: . Must be taller than me (5'5") and have smaller breasts than my own (this is my golden rule of dating) Must love Animals, not tolerate, not accept, but like or love! Must be able to enjoy an exhuberant, interesting, weird, talkative, smart ass, animals-lover like myself.
All applicants should live in the state of AZ.
If interested, pease scoot around town and perhaps we shall bump into eachother (in a non-collision type way) I will be the Chick IN BLUE!
Thank You
The Ninja

Post by The Ninja »

Valgal20 wrote:HERE IS MY SINGLES ADD- WHAT DO YOU THINK?(really soon to be) :arrow: Scooter Chick, SWF, Looking for scooter Dude. Must have/like/want scooter. Must be friendly/funny/intriguing individual. Perhaps an interesting fellow who is always one to participate in nude scootering events :wink: . Must be taller than me (5'5") and have smaller breasts than my own (this is my golden rule of dating) Must love Animals, not tolerate, not accept, but like or love! Must be able to enjoy an exhuberant, interesting, weird, talkative, smart ass, animals-lover like myself.
If interested, pease scoot around town and perhaps we shall bump into eachother (in a non-collision type way) I will be the Chick IN BLUE!
Thank You
WOW...why can't you live in NC. LOL. I am not sure if I can handle you having a bigger scooter then me. ;)
Steven
lojical1

Post by lojical1 »

Valgal20 wrote:HERE IS MY SINGLES ADD- WHAT DO YOU THINK?(really soon to be) :arrow: Scooter Chick, SWF, Looking for scooter Dude. Must have/like/want scooter. Must be friendly/funny/intriguing individual. Perhaps an interesting fellow who is always one to participate in nude scootering events :wink: . Must be taller than me (5'5") and have smaller breasts than my own (this is my golden rule of dating) Must love Animals, not tolerate, not accept, but like or love! Must be able to enjoy an exhuberant, interesting, weird, talkative, smart ass, animals-lover like myself.
Thank You

I think a post this lengthy may cost a few hundred dollars. May as well put a down payment on the scooter :P
-Spike Spiegel

Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

Yea, and Id rather have a scooter than a dude, I mean, Scooters are reliable, go fast, vibrate, come in the color of your choice, dont talk back, help you bring home the bread, and they are there to make you happy- What more could you want? :wink: O' course, they are a bit difficult to snuggle with, and it would probably not be a good idea to bring it into your bed :? Hmm, well, hmm, um yea. :oops:
Lisa I

Post by Lisa I »

Of course, everyone on this forum might be a tad bit biased, but scooters are cool. You gotta' talk about something on the first day, why not mention the scoot?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

lojical1 wrote:
Valgal20 wrote: (PS, Looking for scooter dude for this (soon to be) Scooter Chick) :D

Hey, ericalm, maybe there should be a "Personals" section on the forum.

"BUD125 iso BUD125/150 for fast times, and hot rides. Must enjoy bugs, helmet hair, and tolerant of bad drivers. Razor 'scooters' need not apply"
Not too sure about that. As is, I've had to occasionally discourage some rabid male scooterist behaviors that have caused unease amongst female riders. Don't want to be encouraging such a thing.

Plus, I'm happily married to a scooter girl. If I were single and looking, self-interest might change my tune. We can all be thankful that's not the case. ;)
lojical1

Post by lojical1 »

HAHAHA. I was just kidding of course. I have a GREAT scooter dude, and I don't need to advertise in search of one. I think the best thing is finding the right person and being able to learn about scooting together.

Hey Ninja, did the date come and go ? What do u have planned, if we may boldly ask?
-Spike Spiegel

polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Keys wrote:...my scooter scares 'em away. :twisted:

--Keys
ARGH MINE TOO! Dudes in Philly just can't hang.

Scooter dudes don't take the Buddy seriously.

Non-scooter dudes think it's "butch" or "weird" of me to ride a scooter.

My next personal ad shall read: Weirdo Scooterist ISO Same
ModBud #442
Da'Gnome

Post by Da'Gnome »

Thank You
LOL...then I maybe out of the picture... :rofl:
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

polianarchy wrote:Non-scooter dudes think it's "butch" or "weird" of me to ride a scooter.

My next personal ad shall read: Weirdo Scooterist ISO Same
Same deal here... chicks that see it say it's cute & practical & fun... Dudes just think its a joke.
I guess no COOL dudes have seen it yet 8) .
twharton

Post by twharton »

polianarchy wrote...

Wrong. Ever hear of Scooter Dave? (Technically he's a Scooter Boy). He's a member of this forum and I have seen pictures of him on a pink Buddy. I'm tellin you he is a serious dude and takes Buddy's seriously. No kidding...I mean it. :wink:
twharton
Northwest, FL
"Where thousands live the way millions wish they could!"
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

twharton wrote:polianarchy wrote...
Wrong. Ever hear of Scooter Dave?
I concur. it's not your bike, it's what you do with it. There are snobs out there, but most of them probably ride much less than you do.

The Vespa/Lambretta rivalry continues to this day, which is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I met a guy with a '98 T-bird at a car show that was still bitching about Corvette owners, as if anyone even considered either car "cool" anymore. I've met Harley guys who gave me tons of respect, and Harley guys who laughed at me. Guess which were the bearded tattooed ones that had been riding for 40 years and which were stockbrokers out for their weekly ride on their brand-new Dyna Low Rider.

Impress yourself, no one else matters. If your prospective dates aren't impressed with your scooter, then who needs 'em? You'll meet the right person sooner or later.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
250koala

Post by 250koala »

Ok. We're dieing here.

Ya gotta tell us how your date went.