Holy sweet paying-too-much-for-insurance, Batman!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

AxeYrCat

Holy sweet paying-too-much-for-insurance, Batman!

Post by AxeYrCat »

So, my friendly insurance agent called me yesterday. She's actually my friendly home insurance agent, but she calls periodically to see if she can save me some money (unfortunately, some not-at-fault accidents and a few speeding tickets make her pretty expensive to insure my cars with, but we're waiting for those to fall off).

Anyway, I asked -- on a whim -- what she could do for me on the scooter...

HALF. Frickin' half of what I was paying with Progressive (who is still considerably cheaper for my auto insurance). :shock: :lol:

So those of you in Ohio, take note: Switching to Allstate saved me 50% over what I was paying with Progressive for identical coverage. :D

If any of you Ohio people are interested in giving her a call, please do -- I actually met her out drinking in Kent when I was at college... she's super cool, and downright pleasant to deal with: Kim Ewing (330) 677-4376

http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=30960466
Huh? What just happened?
BlackInkSpot

Post by BlackInkSpot »

Did you already cancel your Progressive motorcycle policy? Did you pay up front for the entire year? Progressive told me there would be a cancellation penalty.

Did they give you full coverage from Progressive or Allstate or only liability?
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

I cancelled my Progressive motorcycle policy that I had paid upfront for a year. They didn't tell me that there was a penalty at all.

I could have gotten full coverage on either, but I didn't feel the cost justified it -- at least on the Progressive policy. I didn't even ask Kim to quote it... IIRC, it was about a third the cost of the Buddy to have full coverage on it. :lol: :roll:
Huh? What just happened?
whattheheck

Post by whattheheck »

I'm confused.

I have $100 Deductible comprehensive, $250 deductible collision, 25K/50K Liability, 15K/30K Uninsured, and 15K/30K Underinsured. Is that "full coverage"? This costs me $125 a year.
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

You have full coverage -- and you have cheap full coverage! :D

My limits are set MUCH higher than yours, though. :wink:
Huh? What just happened?
deserthealer

Post by deserthealer »

i was quoted $125 by progressive for the same full coverage(male, married, 37yrs old)
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

I'm paying American Family Insurance $149.50/year. That's full coverage and $500 deductible. Our Homeowners, Camper, 2 scooters and 2 cars are also with them. I have heard lots of people paying less for their scooters but we like the company and the agent. :?
whattheheck

Post by whattheheck »

AxeYrCat wrote:My limits are set MUCH higher than yours, though. :wink:
Yes, that does make a difference. I suppose I could take out 1 million in liability, but I really do not have that much to lose in assets. How high to go is always debatable. Each renewal I tell myself I should up it to 300K or so, but I get hooked by that lower invoice and that fact that I have never needed the insurance much. But if something does happen - I'll regret it. :cry:
pesqueeb

Post by pesqueeb »

Geez, Allstate here in CO qouted me 78 bucks a month for our two Scoots, and thats just for liability. Guess its time to do some shoping, I'm getting hosed.
Take off the tin foil hat and let the voices drive for a minute. It'll be fine.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Keep in mind the factors that can affect the cost of your policy: age, whether you have your full moto license and how long you've had it, MSF course completion, whether you're a homeowner, your location, etc.

I haven't heard of anyone getting decent coverage in LA for less than $200.
James Tate

State Farm

Post by James Tate »

Liability coverage for my Honda scooter is $15.37 a year, with State Farm (Ron Witt in Cincinnati), and would be the same for the Buddy. For the Buddy, though, I have $100 deductible full coverage (theft, collision, whatever) and at least $100,000 coverage on all the medical, etc. My annual bill is $160; half of that is to cover other people hitting me without insurance.
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

ericalm wrote:Keep in mind the factors that can affect the cost of your policy: age, whether you have your full moto license and how long you've had it, MSF course completion, whether you're a homeowner, your location, etc.
26. Nope, permit (they didn't even ask, though). Nope, not yet (again, they didn't ask). Yes, I own my home. Cincinnati.

Granted, there are some things in my favor, but the speeding tickets and the not-at-fault-accidents tend to make me pay more than I'd like to think I should (really, is it MY fault that a drunk driver hit my PARKED car? I think not).
Huh? What just happened?
Sailn

Post by Sailn »

I pay over $300 / year for my coverage. But I have a very high unstacked liability limit. The reason you want the high limit is so you can get an equally high uninsurred/underinsurred policy.

I didn't get comp ior collision as the premium seemed very high for the amount of coverage ( at least it is in Philadelphia) Besides, my lock covers me for $1000 if the scooter is stolen when it is locked up.

To me the issue was, what happens to me if I get in an accident. The facts are, if you get hit, you WILL get hurt. I am concerned that I as well as my family are taken care of. The minimum liability coverage required by law is a joke. I'll loose more than that in a month or two out of work.
rajron

Post by rajron »

I pay $68 dollars a year for full coverage but I also have to pay and additional $45 dollars for uninsured motorist – Progressive. Total less than $115 annually seems OK to me.
pesqueeb

Post by pesqueeb »

So the wife and I wound up paying 260 for our two scoots with Progresive. Allstate (who still seems to be the cheapest for our home and auto) wanted 870 (!) bucks a year. State Farm wanted 640 a year. I don't know why they were so damn high.
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Crazy... I was paying more than $260 for liability on the Buddy with Progressive. :? :roll:

I think they just make up numbers sometimes. :lol:
Huh? What just happened?
pesqueeb

Post by pesqueeb »

AxeYrCat wrote:
I think they just make up numbers sometimes. :lol:
I think there might be more truth to that than an insurance company would like to admit. :rofl:
BoneGirl

Insurance

Post by BoneGirl »

I attended the Scoot-A-Que Rally in Columbus, OH last weekend and American Family Insurance was one of the sponsors. When I emailed them to say "Thanks" for their sponsorship, I found out it was one of the guys in the Rally. So if you're in the Columbus area or just need a quote, here's his info. Since he owns a couple scoots himself and attends all the Rallies around here, I thought I'd at least give him some recogmition here.

Bill Bailey
The Bill Bailey Agency
649 Main St, Ste A
Groveport, OH 43125
Phone: 614-836-2933
Fax: 614-836-2944
Cell: 614-332-7347
Web: www.billbaileyagency.com

American Family Insurance
hermitgirl

Post by hermitgirl »

I just got offered a quote of $156/yr from Progressive for full coverage plus $2500 medical. (I'm a student, and the last thing I want is a bunch of hospital bills should I take a spill.) Geico was just unbelievable.

Gonna check out State Farm and Allstate now...
ScooterN2

Post by ScooterN2 »

I'm paying $9/month for my Blur. My girlfriend is paying $11/month for Buddy 125 with American Family. Liability only 50/100/50 and uninsured. I have no other coverages with American Family. Mine is a little cheaper because I am 50 y/o and my girlfriend is a few yeas younger
ScooterMonkey

Post by ScooterMonkey »

I just got quoted $336 from Progressive. I took it, because it beat the 2nd best quote of $465 from Farmer's( & that was with the Home & Auto I have with them). Geico was just nuts at $1003 :wha: :rofl:
germ

Post by germ »

YET ANOTHER REASON TO GET A 50.
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

I don't get it?

YET ANOTHER REASON TO GET A 50.
whattheheck

Post by whattheheck »

I think he means that in some states 50cc and under do not have to be insured or inspected.
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

ScooterMonkey wrote:I just got quoted $336 from Progressive. I took it, because it beat the 2nd best quote of $465 from Farmer's( & that was with the Home & Auto I have with them). Geico was just nuts at $1003 :wha: :rofl:
Is that for 10yrs????
Crickey!!!!!! For that price they should include someone to run along side to catch you if you tip!!!
I'd at least want a them to give me a kiss because as Al Pacino said in "Dog Day Afternoon", I like to get kissed when I'm getting f****d!!!

Mine's $7/mo with AmerFam. I have house and car w/them.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

whattheheck wrote:I think he means that in some states 50cc and under do not have to be insured or inspected.
IMHO, it's rather fooloish to ride without insurance.

I pay $170 / year for the Buddy with State Farm. It costs me less to insure two scooters than it did for one motorcycle! 8)
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

ScooterN2 wrote:I'm paying $9/month for my Blur. My girlfriend is paying $11/month for Buddy 125 with American Family. Liability only 50/100/50 and uninsured. I have no other coverages with American Family. Mine is a little cheaper because I am 50 y/o and my girlfriend is a few yeas younger
Congrats on that!!!!!!
(the younger girlfriend that is....)
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I just got my new Buddy insured by Nationwide for $115/year.

We also have our car insured through them, though I don't know if it makes a difference.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I wnt with Progressive today, BIL 10/20 Property 10 Comp Collision 250 deductible, uninsured motorist.....$314/yr. Thats with beeing old enough (I'm not telling!) safe driver. I do live in SoFla, home of the uninsured motorists! GEICO was over $1500/yr!!!!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

It seems bizarre to me that insurance quotes are so all over the map... even for the same individual in the same state with the same coverage. :?
Huh? What just happened?
ScooterMonkey

Post by ScooterMonkey »

BuddyRaton wrote:I wnt with Progressive today, BIL 10/20 Property 10 Comp Collision 250 deductible, uninsured motorist.....$314/yr. Thats with beeing old enough (I'm not telling!) safe driver. I do live in SoFla, home of the uninsured motorists! GEICO was over $1500/yr!!!!
Yeah these numbers make no sense at all. I had the same exp. w/ both Progressive(who I went with) & Geico. Almost an $800 difference between the qoutes. I'm also over the age of crazy driving,& have an excellent driving record w/ no accidents or tickets. So I've gotta' wonder...wtf is going on here? :wtf:
castleton

Post by castleton »

Yeah, what's up here? I pay Geico $80 year for my coverage.
--Pam

"You're not the boss of me, now."
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

castleton wrote:Yeah, what's up here? I pay Geico $80 year for my coverage.
That has to be Collision and not Full Coverage!
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
ka3ouc

$107 per year

Post by ka3ouc »

Iam paying $107 a year for full coverage with State Farm. My truck is also insured with them for the last 5 years, so maybe that's why it's 107.
castleton

Post by castleton »

Oops! You're right, dahuffy. I called for full rates (I was waiting for the percentage discount for taking the MSF), and with the discount, I pay 110/year for full coverage with Geico.
--Pam

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I pay around $200 for (almost) full coverage at Geico, which seems pretty standard for L.A. County riders. However, I called to add GatsbyGirl and her Buddy to my policy and was told I'd get a call back with an estimate because of some kind of "processing" of my policy.

I'm going to skip a lot of details here, but what eventually happened was that Geico added GG to the policy for $857/yr. and never bothered to call me and let me know! I found out by going to my policy online.

I've had other service problems with them in the past. When I filed a claim last year (scooter knocked over while parked) their adjuster had a "problem" with someone at a dealership which wound up with me having to wait a month just to get an estimate on my repair.

I think it's time to switch insurers.
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

I just can’t believe the range of rates people are reporting. I know there are myriad variables (location, age, record, multi-line, full coverage vs. liability-only). Some people are paying more for their scooter than I pay for my car. At $800+/yr one could just sock that away and buy a new scooter of it tips over.
I do remember when I moved to Orange Cty, CA for a couple yrs, my auto ins was TWICE what it was in Minneapolis. So most of our comparisons are like apples to apricots…….
castleton

Post by castleton »

Maybe it's just been the luck of the draw, but I've had car insurance with Geico for 20 years, and never had anything but good service and great rates. I've lived in Florida, NY, and CT, no difference.

They've been very responsive, great roadside assistance, covered windshield repairs (coming to my job in the boonies to do them in the lot), and now great rates on the scoot.

I'm sticking with what's worked for me, but if they started treating me the way they're treating you guys, I'd opt out as well.
--Pam

AllieM

primary vehicle vs recreational

Post by AllieM »

This may or may not be obvious but a big difference can also be whether you currently have an insured car- I was quoted $135 from State Farm for comprehensive for 6 months, but that was assuming I had a car. If you only have the scooter, as I do, it becomes your "primary transportation" instead of being classifed as a "recreational vehicle" (I guess similar to quad bike, jetski etc insurance) and the prices go way up. I ended up paying $208 for liability/uninsured driver only.

And I kid you not, I was quoted $1,468 from Geico for a year. For a $2,800 Buddy. I called to see if the online system had glitched somehow, like when travel websites say $4,500 for a NYC- Boston trip because the dates errored, and the woman just told me "thats the price". With no interest in going over the quote to see if there was something I could change, that was enough of a taste of their customer service to put me off anyway.....
gt1000

Re: primary vehicle vs recreational

Post by gt1000 »

AllieM wrote:This may or may not be obvious but a big difference can also be whether you currently have an insured car- I was quoted $135 from State Farm for comprehensive for 6 months, but that was assuming I had a car. If you only have the scooter, as I do, it becomes your "primary transportation" instead of being classifed as a "recreational vehicle" (I guess similar to quad bike, jetski etc insurance) and the prices go way up. I ended up paying $208 for liability/uninsured driver only.

And I kid you not, I was quoted $1,468 from Geico for a year. For a $2,800 Buddy. I called to see if the online system had glitched somehow, like when travel websites say $4,500 for a NYC- Boston trip because the dates errored, and the woman just told me "thats the price". With no interest in going over the quote to see if there was something I could change, that was enough of a taste of their customer service to put me off anyway.....
This is a great example of why it's often a good idea to work with a local office and an agent. If they're this disinterested in SELLING you the policy, just imagine how they'll be when you make a claim.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
weebl

Post by weebl »

I'm gonna plug Fernet insurance... www.fernet.com
They specialize in motorcycle insurance, and know their way around scooters pretty well too. I got liability + some medical & other things for $140/year, which is pretty good seeing as I'm 22 and have a few, erm, incidents in my car over the last 5 years.
xkennx

Post by xkennx »

Selling scooters for a number of yrs I have always had customers asking which insurance company to go with, and its always been the same thing you have to do the leg work and call every single one yourself and get the quotes before you pick on. I have seen priced be 5 times higher becuase of a yr difference in rider age or how long they have been riding.

I switched mine from AllState ($400 a yr full coverage on 4 scooters) to Geico ($135) for the same policy. Dont forget that sometimes you can contact your car inusrance and have the scooter put on the policy as a sunday/weekend rider (Guy came in last week and said his policy only went up $10 for the yr for adding the scooter on to it)
06 Gen Scooters Buddy 125 (sold)
05 Gen Scooters Stella w/sidecar (sold)
05 Vespa ET8
80 Vespa P200 w/ Polini 208
80 Vespa P200 w/ Malossi 210
74 Vespa Sprint 125
74 Vespa Primaveria 125 (broke)
56 Labretta LD 125 (sold)
castleton

Post by castleton »

It may also have something to do with where you live. I think rates vary by region/population, traffic and # of accidents in a region.
--Pam

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

AllieM wrote:And I kid you not, I was quoted $1,468 from Geico for a year. For a $2,800 Buddy. I called to see if the online system had glitched somehow, like when travel websites say $4,500 for a NYC- Boston trip because the dates errored, and the woman just told me "thats the price". With no interest in going over the quote to see if there was something I could change, that was enough of a taste of their customer service to put me off anyway.....
I'm starting to think Geico is anti-Los Angeles or, more likely, anti-women on 2 wheels. Their rates are just insane... as I said before, the rate for my wife was over $700 more than for me.
GatsbyGirl

Post by GatsbyGirl »

ericalm wrote:I'm starting to think Geico is anti-Los Angeles or, more likely, anti-women on 2 wheels. Their rates are just insane... as I said before, the rate for my wife was over $700 more than for me.
Yep, considering I have a perfect driving record, have never filed an insurance claim and have had only one accident (not my fault) 13 years ago, it's utterly ridiculous that they would charge me four times as much as you on the same damn policy.
scootie

Post by scootie »

whattheheck wrote:I'm confused.

I have $100 Deductible comprehensive, $250 deductible collision, 25K/50K Liability, 15K/30K Uninsured, and 15K/30K Underinsured. Is that "full coverage"? This costs me $125 a year.

That's similar to what I paid Progressive the first year I had my Vino 50--each year their rates went down as the scooter depreciated in value, too.
We now have 3 scooters insured with Progressive. The two 50 cc Honda Mets are $75/year and the Vino 125 is $180

Also included in the price is medical, roadside assistance & theft with $100 deductible---Geico wanted almost twice as much...
Sooznd

03 Honda Metropolitan
06 Yamaha Vino 125
03 Yamaha Vino 50 -adopted by a foster family
jperkins

Insurance

Post by jperkins »

I pay $5.84 per month with Farmers Insurance. This gets me full coverage and a $250 deductiable.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Deleted by user
Last edited by BlueMark on Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BlueMark wrote:Bodily Injury $100k/300k
Property damage $50k
Medical $2000
Comprehensive $500 ded
Collision $500 ded

Geico: $282/yr
Allstate: $580/yr
Progressive: $490/yr

Rhyme or reason?
Rhyme. Bad rhyme. I'm really starting to think they just make something up... spin a wheel, throw a dart...