Buddy has to go

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

vitaminC

Buddy has to go

Post by vitaminC »

Looks like I'll be putting the Buddy up for sale soon. The main thing is that we bought a house ( :shock: ), and while I can still scoot to work, it takes considerably longer when compared to the freeway route. Plus, I may be changing jobs, and if so the new one will be a bit further still. So it seems like it's time to either a) get a bigger scoot or b) go back to a motorcycle. Makes me sad, as the scoot is great and has never given me a problem, but I can't keep two two-wheelers around...

:(
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

:cry:

noooo... but you've been here for soo long. Congrats on the new house though :)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Oh man, sorry to hear you're going to have to let the Buddy go. Congrats on the house, though. I hope the new job is everything you wish it to be.

Even if you sell the scoot, pls feel free to keep posting here. Especially if you get a larger scooter or motorcycle, it would be really interesting to read your thoughts about trading up, especially for folks here who might be going that route one of these days...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Ah, I hate losing such longtime members. But I sympathize—changing jobs turned me into a part-time cager.

You're always welcome around here!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Thanks for the kind words.

It will be interesting to see how hard/easy it is to sell the Buddy around here. For some reason, I never see them on CL. Perhaps people just aren't selling them?

I'm definitely leaning towards a motorcycle, though I haven't narrowed it down to a specific model. I'd really like to have lightweight, ABS, and non-chain final drive, but I may have to settle for only one or two from that list.

My history so far:

Might be time to start going back up the displacement ladder again! :wink:
rajron

Post by rajron »

Sorry to hear that you need to get rid of the Buddy.
Bay Area traffic is so heavy, and commutes are so long; it’s understandable that a larger bike is needed.
Are you keeping your MCS?
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

rajron wrote:Sorry to hear that you need to get rid of the Buddy.
Are you keeping your MCS?
Maybe. I've actually been thinking about selling it and getting a truck instead. I think there will be plenty of home projects that could utilize a truck, plus I recently enjoyed some 4wd driving in Death Valley that left me wanting more...
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

ooooo 4wd talk. Remember to buy what works, stickers won't get you unstuck. Gosh I love 4x4s :roll:
EZPZ #65
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

I work 1 hour (traffic gods willing) from where I work and just bought a scooter for our around town errands. It's great for quick trips to the store/bank/wherever and the gas mileage can't be beat.

Heck, we're thinking about buying another as this one is mainly my wife's. His ans hers would be cool, plus the stock suspension just can't handle both of us.
schroncc

Post by schroncc »

Hate to see you selling the buddy! Way back when I bought my buddy I remember coming on to this site and reading all your posts. Its a sad sad day :( Keep posting here vitaminC
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

schlagle wrote:I work 1 hour (traffic gods willing) from where I work and just bought a scooter for our around town errands. It's great for quick trips to the store/bank/wherever and the gas mileage can't be beat.
I definitely agree on the around town utility! However, I am very fortunate that from my place I can easily walk to a grocery, many restaurants, and various other businesses as needed, so that unfortunately does not not work as a justification my keeping the B125.

Still, my ad doesn't seem to be showing up on CL, so maybe that's a sign that I need to hang on to it a little longer... :wink:
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

schroncc wrote:Hate to see you selling the buddy! Way back when I bought my buddy I remember coming on to this site and reading all your posts. Its a sad sad day :( Keep posting here vitaminC
Thanks. My postings have definitely trailed off lately, but I still check in to see what's happening...
ERik3tb

Post by ERik3tb »

Even if you do get rid of your scooter, are you planning on sticking around the board?

So many of the posts in this thread give the impression that you won't be coming back to us.
heavypetting

Post by heavypetting »

Hey Vitamin C,

Was the blue bike an SV650?

That's my dream bike :D
My chicken is smarter than your honor student!
www.mrjoy.net
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

heavypetting wrote:Hey Vitamin C,

Was the blue bike an SV650?

That's my dream bike :D
Indeed! It's a great bike. Even better with the original round frame 8)

We had a lot of good (and some bad) times together... though the bad was not the bikes fault.

vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Well, it's a done deal! :(

I just returned home after taking my last ride on the scoot- at least it was a long one! I rode it up to SF to deliver to the new owner. I told them about MB, so hopefully they'll be checking in here...

Now the search for the replacement can really get under way!
GaryEPSP

Post by GaryEPSP »

You'll be back. :D
redcass

Post by redcass »

vitaminC wrote:Now the search for the replacement can really get under way!
Good luck with your search!
RedCass