Professional Riding Attire Help

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

schroncc

Professional Riding Attire Help

Post by schroncc »

I am about to make the jump from academic-life to the “real world”. Along with this change includes a move (someplace where there is no snow! :D ), a new job (no longer working at the beer drive thru! :D ), and selling my car for a scooter only life :lol: . My question is this: How do you all dress professionally while still riding safe? Anyone out there scoot to work in a suit?
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

While it's possible to scoot in a suit, it would be more useful to learn how to get away with not wearing one. Outside of a law firm or something super-uptight like that, you can probably get away with murder on the dress code as long as you establish yourself as "the crazy breaking-the-rules whiz kid who rides a scooter to work." Of course it helps to be really young and really good at your job, and you might have to slowly degenerate your wardrobe over a couple months but it's worked for me every job I've had. Even if you have to wear a suit, you could maybe try to pull off the Wes Anderson 'crumpled' look.

By the time you're too old to pull it off, you'll be running the company, right?

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
maribell

Post by maribell »

Change at work. Avoid puddles.

I ride in business attire minus the heels.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Suit on the inside, Aerostich one-piece on the outside. It's very expensive, I know, but it's extremely well-made so it will last and last and it totally does the job you want done. It looks fairly impressive, too.
Last edited by jrsjr on Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

I leave a set of shoes at work and a jacket if I know I will need it. Otherways under my Corazzo 5.0 and my Carhartt bibs I wear my shirt, tie and trousers. Eventually I will get some overall pants for the added armor, but the bibs keep me nice and warm.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
schroncc

Post by schroncc »

I guess the gene that got me into scootering is the same one that dictates my style; I like to be a little different. I understand that corporate dress is much more casual these days, but I’m actually looking forward to dressing up. I believe a suit boots your confidence and appearance plus I am a bit of a fashion whore. Anyone got some tips out there?
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

I wear a suit on my scooter. Just wear a jacket over the top, keeps the tie from flying out of control. I should do more, but life is full of should'ves. I always wear my full face helmet though (keep my hair short).
EZPZ #65
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

schroncc wrote:I guess the gene that got me into scootering is the same one that dictates my style; I like to be a little different. I understand that corporate dress is much more casual these days, but I’m actually looking forward to dressing up. I believe a suit boots your confidence and appearance plus I am a bit of a fashion whore. Anyone got some tips out there?
Go for wool suits (even lightweight for summer) that don't wrinkle easily. Get a top case or large bag and fold the jacket, stash it in there. Wear leather dress ankle-boots if you have to, but try to find something with a decent rubber sole, not the slick ones you find on most dress shoes. I have a pair of Kenneth Coles that scoot well, but you can also check out Rockport, Fluevog and even some of the new dressier Doc Martens styles.

Also, get a rain suit.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

check these bad boys out, if you can find them look for tucano urbano an italian scooter accessorie maker that has some dress wear etc.
formerly known as robonz23

www.cannonballbuddy.com
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Wear a riding jacket, gloves, and helmet. I'm sure a riding jacket would still fit over a suit, it may be hot, but still safe is good. Otherwise, you could wear the suit over the riding jacket, safe on the inside, dressy on the outside.
Liz C

Post by Liz C »

Ditto on the oversuit. So far scooter days have all been trouser days but soon I hope to work up to changing out of ride pants and boots and into a skirt & pumps. Planning is key, as said before, and keeping a jacket at work is a good idea.
My boss digs that I ride; high gas mileage is in keeping with our campus's sustainability commitment.
Check out my fave NSR website: http://schmitt-hall-studios.com/
ScooterMcGee

Post by ScooterMcGee »

robonz23 wrote:Image

check these bad boys out, if you can find them look for tucano urbano an italian scooter accessorie maker that has some dress wear etc.

Oh I want those......
And if the county we invented will fall from grace
I guess we'll have to fly away in our own space...Think Locally ..F*ck Globally
I was once asked If I were a tattoo what would I be?... I responded Id be a teardrop Tattoo under a bloodshot eye.
schroncc

Post by schroncc »

I appreciate all the help everyone! Robonz23 those are some nice looking boots.
Pita1963

Post by Pita1963 »

ScooterMcGee wrote:

Oh I want those......
I do too !!

Found the TucanoUrbano site - a LOT of real nice clothing/accessories (if I were only rich) ....

Robb

:nerd:
The answer is : 42
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

So what's the problem again?

I think people MIGHT notice the bugs & mud on your suit,
but HEY! That's what makes you COOLER THAN THEM! 8)
PTB

Post by PTB »

I do wear a suit every day. However you do it, you have to make some compromises. I little planning goes a long way though.

1) Just wear the suit on the scoot, minus the tie. The downside is lack of armor, the expense of doing some damage to the suit if you wipe. I just ordered a Rocket Phoenix 4.0 ($90 at new enough dot com). Its mesh, so it should fit over a suit and stay relatively cool. I can let you know how it works. Oh, and you have to make sure not to sit on the coat tails.

2) I have my own office with a door (I know; it might not be likely for a right-out-of-college job). I have a coat rack in there, and I keep two suits on it, along with dress shoes and a belt. I keep dress socks in one of my desk drawers. I just wear a button-down shirt and jeans in; and change into the rest there. You really need two extra suits so you can cycle them through dry-cleaning. You have to think ahead about cycling your dirty and clean socks, too.
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

Pita1963 wrote:Found the TucanoUrbano site - a LOT of real nice clothing/accessories (if I were only rich) ....

Robb

thank you

btw i'm diggin the overcoat with removable armor

www.cannonballbuddy.com
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

i know this is off topic but check out the helmet accessories on the same site, under accessories conveniently enough

www.cannonballbuddy.com
schroncc

Post by schroncc »

PTB Thanks for the info, thats the stuff I needed to know! I highly doubt that I will have an office with a door but I have been practicing my interview skills so who knows :P

Oh, and you have to make sure not to sit on the coat tails.

I agree, I buy double vented suit jackets. That way I will look good if I'm riding a horse or a buddy ha.

i know this is off topic but check out the helmet accessories on the same site, under accessories conveniently enough
I really like the Flash wings for the helmet. Does anyone know if any dealers in the US sell TucanoUrbano?
Liz C

Post by Liz C »

Scooter skirt http://www.scooterskirts.com/ might be an option?

Am considering this for spring/summer commute (would still have to change out of ride boots for office of course).

For those of you who rock the scooter skirt, when you come to a stop and drop your feet then start off again --- I assume the skrirt goes back into place and not hung up on your calves er whatever -- and doenst flap around? (One time I wore a long coat to mass and experienced major flappage en route.)
Check out my fave NSR website: http://schmitt-hall-studios.com/
Pita1963

Post by Pita1963 »

robonz23 wrote:
Pita1963 wrote:Found the TucanoUrbano site - a LOT of real nice clothing/accessories (if I were only rich) ....

Robb

thank you

btw i'm diggin the overcoat with removable armor

That's the first thing that caught my eye too !! I want it.....

Robb

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Pita: Uh.. Ultravox?! huh!

I like the looks of the Tucano Urbano stuff, but unfortunately you sacrifice a lot for style. First, the stuff is very expensive to buy and ship to the U.S. Second, most of the exterior fabrics fail miserably when it comes to skid/friction protection. Same goes for Armadillo in the U.K. (soon to be available in the U.S.), which makes some awesome-looking long jackets and parkas, but which will set you back $400 for something with weak-ass armor.

Chad from Corazzo recently hinted over on MV that they're working on a longer coat for men and women. My guess (or hope) is a version of a classic fishtail parka or similar.

I really wish that the market for scooter-oriented gear was big enough to support many more options. For instance, I've been admiring a lot of Burton's snowboarding jackets, which come in plaids, stripes and all sorts of colors, and which could probably be adapted as riding gear if the right fabrics were used and armor added.

BTW, adding armor to a good-looking jacket is no easy feat. I have a great Belstaff riding jacket, a model which is very hard to find these days, and I tried to add Aerostitch armor using their Velcro pockets. Basically, unless something is designed to accommodate the shape and volume of the armor, it won't. Going up a few sizes would mean a pretty poor fit overall.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Pita1963

Post by Pita1963 »

ericalm wrote:Pita: Uh.. Ultravox?! huh!
What can I say, I'm a child of the '80's....

As for the clothes, I realize that the stuff looks great; but I would never buy anything without actually seeing it first-hand. Still, can't a guy ask for both function and form? I think we should be able to ride safely and not look like we're at the national motocross championships. I know a great number of people like that type/style of look but I'd be willing to bet the same number would like the protective gear they wear to be a bit more fashion-forward.....
That being said I just bought my first FieldSheer mesh jacket, and I love it ! But I would still like to find a great looking top-coat like the one in the picture......

Robb

polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

:shock: Those are downright sexy! Vroom, vroom....
ModBud #442
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

jrsjr wrote:Suit on the inside, Aerostich one-piece on the outside.
+1

This is a friend riding my scoot... my 'Stich is grey 8)