Say hello to your new RiderCoach!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Leeroy Jenkins

Say hello to your new RiderCoach!

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

I just finished the MSF Rider Coach Training School.

I passed!

I am now a MSF RiderCoach.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Good job! How hard was the class, did you have to use a motorcycle? Or did they accept the scooter? I'm curious to know.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Congratulations! :clap: :clap: :clap:
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

That's awesome 8)
EZPZ #65
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

Congrats!

I too am curious about using a buddy to pass the class. My wife just failed the regular class today because she was having trouble corning while controlling the clutch. We thought we'd try and see if she can try again on her scooter.

I passed the regular course today myself, though I've been riding for most of my life so it was really easy for me.
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

Thats great news! Another promoter of 2 wheel safety. :clap:

kaz
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

dude! friggin congrats!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Congrats Leeroy !
I gotta give it up for the coaches. As cold as it was this weekend for us riders, we were out there for only 5 hrs each day, but they were out there for the morning and afternoon classes so about 11-12 hrs if you include the set up and take down.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Congrats!!

This means free MSF courses for all modernbuddy members now, right????? :lol:
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

When I asked him what bike he used to pass his class, I meant the mentor class, I was told by my teacher there is a class for them to take to show they can demonstrate the moves, set up the course, etc.

I didnt know if they has bikes for you to use for the mentor class, or they made you use your own.

Also, using a scooter for the MSF class is a good idea, but I think you miss out alot, they may score you improperly just for the fact you cant change gears and such, you will be "out of tune" with the rest of the class.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Our MSF coaches told us about becoming coaches after a couple of seasons. He said they use the MSF bikes and you do all the exercises on all of the bikes so you can handle any of them when you teach. It is a week long class.

I also agree in using their bikes. So much of the course has to do with changing gears and clutch control. No, we do not deal with that on the scoots, but if I had taken the class on my scooter, I would have felt left out half of the time.

D.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

After taking the MSF you are one with the scooter. You learn to ride a motorcycle which is a bit harder than riding a scooter, when you come back home, the scooter is like the ABC's simple and easier to ride.
louie

Post by louie »

congrats leeroy! good to have a rider coach of the forum.
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

The problem is my wife already failed the class once using their motorcycles. I convinced her to take it on their bikes because I'd like to buy a bigger machine for myself and I think she should know how to ride it in case of emergency. Unfortunately, that didn't work out too well. But she does get another chance at the class and has already "learned" the important stuff. Also she won't ever really be riding anything other than her scoot so I'm of the opinion that she'll be ok.

Of course, I'd like to keep her so I'll be keeping an eye on her and won't hesitate to sign her up for more classes if I feel the need.

The cool thing about Leeroy being a teacher is that he knows scooters. My instructors said they were getting more and more scooter riders because of the high gas prices. We even had a guy in my classroom portion who was there for that exact reason. I think getting more teachers familiar with scooters out there is a benefit. There are subtle differences between motorcycles and scooters. And a lot of people think "ah it's just a scooter I don't need all this stuff" so having a Leeroy around to set them straight is good for everyone.

Sorry for kinda highjacking the thread Leeroy. Congrats again!
Pita1963

Re: Say hello to your new RiderCoach!

Post by Pita1963 »

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:I just finished the MSF Rider Coach Training School.

I passed!

I am now a MSF RiderCoach.
Congrats !!

I start my MSF class this evening, then have two 8hr days Tues/Wed. Weather today and tomorrow here in Denver in the uppers 70's, Wednesday calling for rain/snow and temps in the low 50's, so I should get a good feel for riding in all kinds of weather. btw - my class offers both motorcycle and scooter, I signed up for the the scooter (of course)

Robb

:nerd:
The answer is : 42
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Maybe I did not get this right, but you have class today and then 8 hr on Tuesday and 8 hr on Wednesday? That is 16 hrs not counting your time today. For the scooter class? WOW, you are lucky. Over here the scooter class is 4 hrs.

D.
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

We did the class on Nighthawk 250's. Where I will be teaching, students have the choice of different types of bikes, including honda metros.
Attachments
352626 copy.jpg
352626 copy.jpg (93.25 KiB) Viewed 1020 times
Pita1963

Post by Pita1963 »

EP_scoot wrote:Maybe I did not get this right, but you have class today and then 8 hr on Tuesday and 8 hr on Wednesday? That is 16 hrs not counting your time today. For the scooter class? WOW, you are lucky. Over here the scooter class is 4 hrs.
Yeah - the class given by ABATE of Colorado here in Denver is a 3-day class, the first 3-4hrs(5pm-9pm) is all classroom and the next two days(8am-5pm) are practicle applications ( from what i understand ). I called to confirm my class this morning and was told that there are only 4 people taking my class, so it should be a very hands on experience. Still, I'm kinda nervous since I don't really have a lot of riding experience...

Robb

:nerd:
The answer is : 42
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Congrat's!

I took the MSF in Nashville in 2000, and it was a great experience- even if it did rain on half of the range exercises!
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Robb,
with only 4 people in your class you will get TONS of riding as the range is pretty big. That means no waiting in line. You are lucky !

Bring snacks and plenty of fluids to drink. Most of us went through 1/2 gallon of water. Being out there in the wind and sun will get you plenty thirsty.

D.