mirrors

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

tam

mirrors

Post by tam »

From reading the posts, it seems like there's a good mix of sizes for riders on here. I'm 5'11 and 160lbs, and I have a hard time making anything out in the stock mirrors. How does everyone else do it? I have to actually shift to the left if i want to look in the right mirror, or all I see is arm/side.

So I need to replace em. ebay seems to carry a decent range, but what stem diameter are ours, and does anyone have any suggestions for good ones? I have a set of bar-end cafe racer style mirrors for my project bike, but don't really want to cut up the grips on the buddy.

oh, and I like the internal throttle, it's very smooth. Anyone know if those are available seperately?

thanks!
aboyandhisrobot

Post by aboyandhisrobot »

I have that problem too. However if i sit further back on the seat I can see fine. It seems to get my arms out of the way.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

You have tried adjusting them, right? Loosen the nut at the base of the mirror, and then you will have a much larger adjustment range than just moving the mirror on the stalk. This made a huge improvement for me! Too bad the "tool kit" doesn't include a wrench to help with that...
tam

Post by tam »

Yeah, I adjusted them as much as they let me. Still, it's far from ideal :(
hangukhurley

Mirrors

Post by hangukhurley »

Did you try rotating them outward? I told my salesperson about people's complaints about the mirrors and he told me that a lot of people don't realize they can be rotated outward. They ship the bike with the mirrors turned inward so they don't stick out so far in the crate.
- hangukhurley & Frenchy...Pretty in Pink!
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

You might try some mirror extenders. Not sure if these would work, but what about GSG-Moto
Mirror Extensions
, which are available with left threads.

vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

And another possibility

Good luck!
MNBuddy

Mirrors -

Post by MNBuddy »

I was in contact with Genuine and they are coming out with extended mirrors as an "option" (read extra cost) for the Buddy based on feedback from riders. I assume they will be available when the other accessories are shipped but I don't know that for sure.
tam

Post by tam »

Thanks for the replies

Yes, i did rotate them outward and that did help a bit, but it's still not great. I guess I'll wait and see what Genuine comes up with before looking too much further.
GalacticFattPatt

Post by GalacticFattPatt »

Rotating them outward.
Does that just take a good turn with the hands?
Do I need to loosen anything up?
What part exactly am I rotating? See two discs, one within the others. Than the attachment to the stem.
thanks in advance.
Evil will always prevail, cause Good is just dumb!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

GalacticFattPatt wrote:Rotating them outward.
Does that just take a good turn with the hands?
Do I need to loosen anything up?
What part exactly am I rotating? See two discs, one within the others. Than the attachment to the stem.
thanks in advance.
The ball joint where the mirror attaches to the stem is stiff but can actually be adjusted. Just grab the whole mirror with your hand and try to rotate the joint. You may have to give it some force. Took me a while to figure this out; I thought it was just a cheap part.
bwilms

Post by bwilms »

If you are at all considering getting a windscreen, I would wait to upgrade the mirrors until you see what they are like mounted on that hardware. It moves the mirrors out a few inches and it makes a HUGE difference.
GalacticFattPatt

Post by GalacticFattPatt »

got it! Wow, what a difference, just rotating them out some.
Also, what are your feelings on the shield. I am thinking that I look cooler without it. But... it is starting to get cold, and I am thinking that I may have a more pleasent ride with a shield. In which case, screw looks! I am using this as a commuter bike, not a joy ride, so I need to be comfortable through the seasons. I am in FL so I don't plan on having to stop riding in the winter.
Thanks again, you folks rule on advice and help.
GFP out
Evil will always prevail, cause Good is just dumb!
MNBuddy

Post by MNBuddy »

bwilms wrote:If you are at all considering getting a windscreen, I would wait to upgrade the mirrors until you see what they are like mounted on that hardware. It moves the mirrors out a few inches and it makes a HUGE difference.
I would like to hear from other people who have had a windscreen installed, about the difference it made on the mirrors. Do you agree that installing a windscreen improved the usefulness of the Buddy mirrors?

I've seen a lot of posts about installing a windscreen so I hope several of you can chime in on this.
Coach B

Post by Coach B »

Yea, I have the large windscreen; and it makes a world of difference for the mirrors. I can actually see behind me. It could be a bit better, so I'm anxious to see what Genuine comes up with. I always like to keep an eye on the cagers coming up behind me at a stop light.
The Coach Scoots
GenuineSlacker

Post by GenuineSlacker »

Don't have the windscreen, but I recently had a problem with my right mirror (unscrewed it all the way and it wouldn't go back in no matter how hard i tried) and acquired a pair of vespa GTS mirrors. Huge difference, they're bigger and stick out further, so great, though they do look like mickey mouse ears. Honestly if you're not getting a windescreen, just upgrade to some larger mirrors with some style.
"Angels who are forced from heaven have no choice but to become demons." - Vicious
DO3

Post by DO3 »

I have the short windshield and the mirrors being moved out a little work much better. I don't have to tuck in my elbow to look behind me now. Although since they are bolted to that extension rather than straight to the handle bars they do vibrate and shake more. That being said I'm still a big fan of the windshield.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

GenuineSlacker,

Did you have to do anything special to install the Vespa GTS mirrors?

Where did you get them from?

I have a hard time seeing anything useful in my mirrors, about all I get is a little corner view around above my shoulder and arm.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

lobsterman wrote:GenuineSlacker,

Did you have to do anything special to install the Vespa GTS mirrors?

Where did you get them from?

I have a hard time seeing anything useful in my mirrors, about all I get is a little corner view around above my shoulder and arm.
You can get GTs mirrors in a number of places: Motorsport probably has them, but don't list them online, so you 'll have to call them; Scooters Originali has the similar (if not same) GT mirrors;
Vespa Cincinnati may have them in stock, but if they have to order them, check elsewhere first because it takes FOREVER to get parts from Piaggio in Italy.

But, yeah, I'm curious to know if these just screwed right in. I think the GTS mirrors are reverse-threaded on the right (like the Buddy) but thought ther had 10mm threads rather than 8mm. I know there are a few paces online that sell thread adapters, or you could go this route and DIY.
GenuineSlacker

Post by GenuineSlacker »

Nope didn't do anything to put them on, they just screwed right in, real nice and simple. I got them from my uncle's GTS when he switched to some handlebar end mirrors, sorry I can't be of more help.
"Angels who are forced from heaven have no choice but to become demons." - Vicious
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

bwilms wrote:If you are at all considering getting a windscreen, I would wait to upgrade the mirrors until you see what they are like mounted on that hardware. It moves the mirrors out a few inches and it makes a HUGE difference.
I agree. the position is mcuh better. When I take off the windscreen as soon as I can tolerate in the spring, I will leave the hardware on so I can benifit from the windscreen hardware .
mlee10018

Post by mlee10018 »

GenuineSlacker wrote:Nope didn't do anything to put them on, they just screwed right in, real nice and simple.
did you remember if you had to turn the opposite direction for the right mirror from the left?
Lee
GenuineSlacker

Post by GenuineSlacker »

nope, went clockwise with both, actually had to take them off and put them back on today so yeah. That'll be under a different topic though.
mlee10018

Post by mlee10018 »

GenuineSlacker wrote:nope, went clockwise with both, actually had to take them off and put them back on today so yeah. That'll be under a different topic though.
would you be able to take a photo of your buddy with the mirrors, I am thinking about getting a pair. Is your buddy a 2006 model? I don't know how you got a non-reverse right mirror to work in there!?
thanks.
Lee
ssybesma

Re: Mirrors -

Post by ssybesma »

MNBuddy wrote:I was in contact with Genuine and they are coming out with extended mirrors as an "option" (read extra cost) for the Buddy based on feedback from riders. I assume they will be available when the other accessories are shipped but I don't know that for sure.
My opinion is that being a safety issue, there probably should be a recall, or at least an offer made by the company to exchange the mirrors at a very nominal cost for the correct/safer ones.

The mirrors are a serious safety issue. I felt that when I rode it this week because I'm on some very narrow roads on the way to work. Would be nice to see who's coming up on me so I can pull over in time. You know how it is when you're trying to do that first 300 miles at 30 miles per hour and you're in a 45. Pretty dangerous sometimes.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

ssybesma wrote:You know how it is when you're trying to do that first 300 miles at 30 miles per hour and you're in a 45. Pretty dangerous sometimes.
Not going over 30 mph is simply a recommendation, and if it's not safe to do so then you should either be on a different road or going with the flow of traffic. Going 15 mph under the limit is not advisable, regardless of the quality of your mirrors!
ssybesma

Post by ssybesma »

vitaminC wrote:
ssybesma wrote:You know how it is when you're trying to do that first 300 miles at 30 miles per hour and you're in a 45. Pretty dangerous sometimes.
Not going over 30 mph is simply a recommendation, and if it's not safe to do so then you should either be on a different road or going with the flow of traffic. Going 15 mph under the limit is not advisable, regardless of the quality of your mirrors!
So you work for the company and are against a recall on mirrors.
Just say so. Don't start an arguement with me on something that doesn't even affect you, unless it does (that's what causes I think you work for the company). You don't have a dog in this race. I and many others do.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

ssybesma wrote: So you work for the company and are against a recall on mirrors.
No and yes. Thanks for asking.
Just say so. Don't start an arguement with me on something that doesn't even affect you, unless it does (that's what causes I think you work for the company). You don't have a dog in this race. I and many others do.
Okay, well, good luck with that.

PS- Welcome to Modern Buddy! :clown:
jess

Post by jess »

ssybesma wrote:So you work for the company and are against a recall on mirrors.
Making accusations in your first few posts on Modern Buddy is not going to win you any friends. And a mirror recall is naive, at best. Please turn it down a notch, ssybesma.
rajron

Post by rajron »

I have a doggie – she’s older now, about 3 years old @ 80 lbs. Isn’t she cute.
Attachments
doggieresi.jpg
doggieresi.jpg (18.3 KiB) Viewed 3109 times
Scootin_in_MS

Post by Scootin_in_MS »

She is VERY cute! Is she a boxer? I also have 2 very cute doggies, one who looks remarkably like my avatar and one "Redenbocker Hound" (she's a mutt who smells like popcorn when she needs a bath). Here's some pics...

Jody
Attachments
Chewey, the avatar look-alike
Chewey, the avatar look-alike
Chewey closeup.jpg (17.61 KiB) Viewed 3011 times
Belle, the Redenbocker Hound
Belle, the Redenbocker Hound
Belle on the porch.jpg (138.52 KiB) Viewed 3006 times
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

HIJACK!

You dog lovers need to check out the MV scooterists' dogs thread.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
rajron

Post by rajron »

Sorry about the HIJACK

What I should say is "In my mirrors" I see my boxer; an….and Bella and Chewy look umm…..ummm a a real cute in the mirrors.
Any way back to the mirrors.
ssybesma

Post by ssybesma »

jess wrote:
ssybesma wrote:So you work for the company and are against a recall on mirrors.
Making accusations in your first few posts on Modern Buddy is not going to win you any friends. And a mirror recall is naive, at best. Please turn it down a notch, ssybesma.
I have softened my stance on the recall. See other posts from this evening. Got a little carried away on the first night, but then again I have done that before in the many years I've been posting on various forums but many other times I have not. Oh, well. I'm not looking for trouble.
GenuineSlacker

Post by GenuineSlacker »

So sorry it's so late coming, but I finally got around to taking a picture of my mirrors.
Attachments
Mirrors1.jpg
Mirrors1.jpg (91.66 KiB) Viewed 2755 times
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

This is Piper. She's mostly terrier, we think.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
ebcspace

mirrors

Post by ebcspace »

moving the mirror stems outward is good,

and also if you "spin" the actual mirror, in a clockwise or counter-clockwise direction, it is a very easy way to find the adjustment range, how it works.

found this to be a bit different than on our other scoot, a Vespa ET-4, which adjusts more by pushing and pulling around to adjust.

definitely do this in a spot where you can actually see in the mirror the range of vision you are trying to adjust (with stretch of road/parking lot behind you without traffic behind you).

it really takes some tweaking and experience to find what you really need, what vision range you're looking for.

also make sure the mirror stems are tight, not just snug, as they spin to tighten at the handlebar area,

for if you ride in a very windy area, your mirror can actually come loose and swing around ! watch - out !

hope this helps out a bit...
scoot on!