Hot Weather = Little Gear = Little Brains

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pcbikedude

Hot Weather = Little Gear = Little Brains

Post by pcbikedude »

I've been encouraging my daughter, who will be riding shortly, to wear all the gear regardless of the weather.

We are on our way home the other day, 96F outside my air conditioned truck, when around the corner comes 4 sport bikers. No shirts, wearing shorts, and full helmets with the glue-on mohawks :shock: . They got on the freeway and sped off :shock: .

Made me wonder where their skin would be if they wrecked. At least the Harley guys wear t-shirts and jeans :P .
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
brimstone

Post by brimstone »

wow...i'd say jeans and shirt at the very least...topped off with a helmet.
vitaminC

Re: Hot Weather = Little Gear = Little Brains

Post by vitaminC »

pcbikedude wrote: Made me wonder where their skin would be if they wrecked.
They would not be happy campers.
vbl

Re: Hot Weather = Little Gear = Little Brains

Post by vbl »

vitaminC wrote:
pcbikedude wrote: Made me wonder where their skin would be if they wrecked.
They would not be happy campers.
The nurses who will be scraping and washing the gravel out of their skin and muscle won't be pleased, either.

Skin grafts are never fun.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Now I know *three* people who have severely messed up their feet riding in All-Stars. Please wear proper footwear, I get a shiver down my spine when I see people riding in flipflops or sandals.

And I've said it before, but gloves are also really a must.

I feel naked without a full face helmet, jeans, leather shoes and gloves. I just about always wear a jacket, though not always an armored one.

It takes a while to get used to, but once you know enough people who have crashed or have crashed yourself, it's worth it, and once you're used to the gear, it's fine.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

illnoise wrote:
It takes a while to get used to, but once you know enough people who have crashed or have crashed yourself, it's worth it
I used to be the helmet, jeans and t-shirt guy . . . then in my 10 years of riding in Spain saw enough damage to other people to realize how close we all are from disaster. I also saw the benefits of wearing the gear if you happen to go down.

Because of what I have seen, I wear it, but I think until you have seen enough stuff, this might fall into the "it is not gonna happen to me" category.

Having an uncle that is a neurosurgeon and hearing his weekend shift stories from the bikers whose lives they saved . . . or not, also got me to turn around regarding gear.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.