bought another scoot! [updated]

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

vitaminC

bought another scoot! [updated]

Post by vitaminC »

It's a bit of a long story as to exactly how it happened, but in addition to the B125 I now also have a 2002 Bajaj Chetak. The short story is that it needs a bit of elbow greese, but was uber-cheap, so I couldn't pass it up! :mrgreen: And anyway, it worked well enough to get me home...

Although it's really cool to buy a scooter every Friday, I will try not to keep this trend going! :roll:

Here are some pics.

If you need more, click here.
Last edited by vitaminC on Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

I'm jealous. Nice pickup.

How much work needs to be done?
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

rickyd410 wrote:I'm jealous. Nice pickup.

How much work needs to be done?
Thanks. I'm not sure yet, but a quick once over suggests the main mechanical issues are just getting everything back into adjustment, as well as putting in a fresh battery- so basically a tune-up plus a little extra. It's been sitting outside for a while, so a good wash/polish/wax is also in order.

It's actually nice to have two, so I can have one for work (Buddy) and one for play (Chetak).

It's a bit ironic, because in my initial shopping, I was really torn between the Buddy and the Bajaj, and now I've got both! Perfect 8)
buddylover

Post by buddylover »

The spare tire looks cool on the back.
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: bought another scoot!

Post by ericalm »

vitaminC wrote:Although it's really cool to buy a scooter every Friday, I will try not to keep this trend going! :roll:
You should see the looks I get from the missus every time I mention my "next scooter." It'll be a shifter, for sure. I'm thinking Lambretta.

Congrats on the Chetak!
Keys

Post by Keys »

Hey, VitaminC...I just traded a moderately souped up '02 Chetak in on my Buddy. If you have ANY questions, just holler...I'd be glad to answer. I loved my Chetak and to be truthful, the '02's had some issues. If the battery is bad, make sure you have a reputable mechanic check out the voltage regulator. On the 02's, they had a pretty weak one. If it's bad, order the item for an '03 or newer as a replacement...the newer ones were a LOT beefier! You'll have to drill another hole to mount the newer item, but believe me, it's worth it!

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Just thought I'd update this thread rather than starting a new one. I think the Bajaj is now "done" 8)

Turns out that the mechanical needs were a bit more serious, in that I wound up replacing the clutch basket. However, this was a cheap fix, as the parts were under $30 and I did the work myself (big thanks to SFSC for loaning me the tools!).

Cosmetically, a good wash and wax really spruced it up! And the final touch was picking up a brand new seat this weekend for $20! :mrgreen:

Check it out:
And more here.

Having done all that, I'll probably ride it for a bit, but I think that in the end I will end up selling it. I guess I would just rather have a scooter and motorcycle vs two scooters. However, I am always changing my mind about such things, so who knows how I'll feel tomorrow... :wink:
xkennx

Post by xkennx »

Keep it, put a T5 horncast on that thing and a pipe from Phil POC and it will be a totally different scooter.

I work on a few from time to time here at my shop, (use to be the Stella dealer) I will admit though the Bajaj seems to handle sidecars a little better then the Stella, but can be a pain in the butt to install since the floorpan is shaped a little different.
06 Gen Scooters Buddy 125 (sold)
05 Gen Scooters Stella w/sidecar (sold)
05 Vespa ET8
80 Vespa P200 w/ Polini 208
80 Vespa P200 w/ Malossi 210
74 Vespa Sprint 125
74 Vespa Primaveria 125 (broke)
56 Labretta LD 125 (sold)
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

xkennx wrote:Keep it, put a T5 horncast on that thing and a pipe from Phil POC and it will be a totally different scooter.
Yes, but then I'd just have funny looking, noisy Chetak! :P

Seriously, I want something that I can comfortably take on the interstate and use for overnight trips. And that left hand shift is very hard on my wrist :(
xkennx

Post by xkennx »

WHAT?? T5 horncast on Bajaj or Vespa P is total sex for the eyes.

http://www.bajajusa.com/Photos%20&%20Dr ... _small.jpg

Riding vespas for 16yrs its 2nd nature for me to shift with the left hand, its when im on a motorcycle I forget to use my foot.
05 Vespa ET8
74 Vespa Sprint 125
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

vitaminC wrote: Turns out that the mechanical needs were a bit more serious, ...
Isn't that the way it always goes! Nice job VitC it looks slammin'! But staying on topic I'm looking at a 2004 Burgman 650 for longer rides on bigger roads. Wherever I go they ask what I'm riding now when I tell them a Buddy 125 they just kind of give a blank stare. When they ask if I'm going to trade it in? "HELL NO!" I was thinking silverwing but.....
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
xkennx

Post by xkennx »

BuddyRaton wrote:
vitaminC wrote: Turns out that the mechanical needs were a bit more serious, ...
Isn't that the way it always goes! Nice job VitC it looks slammin'! But staying on topic I'm looking at a 2004 Burgman 650 for longer rides on bigger roads. Wherever I go they ask what I'm riding now when I tell them a Buddy 125 they just kind of give a blank stare. When they ask if I'm going to trade it in? "HELL NO!" I was thinking silverwing but.....
Not to topic hijack but BuddyRaton, I got a customer up here in Pensacola trying to sell the 06 burgerman 400 Tpe S w/th 130miles on it for $4000 if your still looking
05 Vespa ET8
74 Vespa Sprint 125
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

BuddyRaton wrote:Wherever I go they ask what I'm riding now when I tell them a Buddy 125 they just kind of give a blank stare.
Yeah, the Buddy hasn't quite achieved world domination yet- but just wait! :lol:

Since my previous rides have all been motorcycles, I am leaning in that direction, though a maxi-scoot is not without it's appeal.

Of course, Honda was ahead of the curve back in the 1990's when it released the "Super Scooter" PC800. I'd actually consider one of those if it didn't weigh 640lbs :shock:
dwnthehatch

Post by dwnthehatch »

I sold my 06 Chetak and got a Buddy 125. Sitting in traffic sucks with a manual trans scooter. I do miss it at times.

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

xkennx wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:
Not to topic hijack but BuddyRaton, I got a customer up here in Pensacola trying to sell the 06 burgerman 400 Tpe S w/th 130miles on it for $4000 if your still looking
Thanks for the tip! Hunting down an 06 650 exe right now!
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

dwnthehatch wrote:I sold my 06 Chetak and got a Buddy 125. Sitting in traffic sucks with a manual trans scooter. I do miss it at times.
Love the hubcaps! 8)

I very rarely have sellers remorse, but then I tend to go through vehicles at a pretty good clip, so perhaps I just don't have time to get too attached?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

vitaminC wrote:Since my previous rides have all been motorcycles, I am leaning in that direction, though a maxi-scoot is not without it's appeal.
I've always had a little bit of contempt for maxis, though this was due to their appearance more than anything else. I'm starting to change my mind... several newer ones are great scoots and still manage to look like scooters, in particular the Aprilia Scarabeo 500.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
whattheheck

Post by whattheheck »

ericalm wrote:
vitaminC wrote:I'm starting to change my mind... several newer ones are great scoots and still manage to look like scooters, in particular the Aprilia Scarabeo 500.
Unfortunately, the Aprilia Scarabeo 500 is no longer made. It was a beauty and first on my future maxi-scooter list. Piaggio has taken over Aprilia and the new Scarabeo is a re-tooled BV500 that loses some of its character and storage capacity.

If you really like the S500, there are still a handful of new ones out there and dealers are cutting prices to move them - perfect time for a good buy if you can afford it and find one (and deal with Aprilia service which is non-existant since the take-over).
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

whattheheck wrote:Unfortunately, the Aprilia Scarabeo 500 is no longer made. It was a beauty and first on my future maxi-scooter list. Piaggio has taken over Aprilia and the new Scarabeo is a re-tooled BV500 that loses some of its character and storage capacity.
I'm talking about the Piaggio-made '06 model. The '07 will supposedly be pretty much unchanged. These fuel-injected Piaggio Quasar engines are making their way into a number of scoots and MCs across their increasingly diverse product lines (Aprilia, Gilera, Derbi, Vespa) but they're supposedly really good... ask a GTS owner.

But yeah, the one thing I do miss from the older version is the larger topcase and saddle cases. Still looks a LOT better than the pointy-nosed Piaggio BVs.

'06 Scarabeo 400
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

ericalm wrote: Image
'06 Scarabeo 400
It looks okay, but for a scooter it sure comes in boring colors!
:roll:
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Its always fun to revive a thread! On March 1st I picked up an 07 Burgman 650 Executive. The only way to describe it is UNFREAKINGBELIEVABLE! I still ride my Buddy around town and pop it on the back of the motor home. Even better my wife has gotten her learners permit and we are putting in some parking lot time!
Attachments
My other scoot is a Buddy 125!
My other scoot is a Buddy 125!
Burg1 post.jpg (67.45 KiB) Viewed 1834 times
www.teamscootertrash.com

ERik3tb

Post by ERik3tb »

Why did you finally select the Burgman over one of the other Maxi-scoots?

what about it got your attention the most?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Oh it took a lot of research before I finally decided. I ordered in the middle of Dec and had to wait until March for release. What finally made me choose the Burgman? I was looking for a scoot to ride mainly on the freeways. Reviews had stated that a Swing was a little easier around town but that the Burger excelled on the super slab. A couple of things really put it over the top. Parallel twin cylinders, incredibly smooth and quiet. ECVT transmission. The CVT is computer controlled (E for electronic), there are no variator weights, three modes (drive, power mode and six speed “manual”). Belt lifespan is the life of the machine. The exec comes with ABS brakes and a few other goodies that seem like gimmicks but really are useful, power windshield that I use every day and power folding mirrors that make it much easier to park in the driveway. Preloading the shocks really makes a difference too.
www.teamscootertrash.com

BoneGirl

Honda Big Ruckus

Post by BoneGirl »

My husband and I needed something to haul stuff on trips so he bought a Big Ruckus that he has now in addition to his black Buddy.
Attachments
6-18-07 Ben checking out the Big Ruckus Scootersmall.jpg
6-18-07 Ben checking out the Big Ruckus Scootersmall.jpg (30.41 KiB) Viewed 1709 times
ruckussmall.jpg
ruckussmall.jpg (34.41 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
vitaminC

Re: Honda Big Ruckus

Post by vitaminC »

BoneGirl wrote:My husband and I needed something to haul stuff on trips so he bought a Big Ruckus that he has now in addition to his black Buddy.
Those Ruckus' are quite cool. Sort of like a dual-sport scooter!

Since this ancient thread was revised, I'll just mention that I wound up selling the Bajaj for 3.2x what I paid for it 8)
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

vitaminC wrote:I'll just mention that I wound up selling the Bajaj for 3.2x what I paid for it 8)
Soooo...what do you have your eyes on now? And yes.....I do feel a two stroke coming on sometime!
www.teamscootertrash.com

vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

BuddyRaton wrote: Soooo...what do you have your eyes on now? And yes.....I do feel a two stroke coming on sometime!
I wound up with this little gem:

(More pics from that trip are here.)

Two scooters were just too many for me. What I'd really like is an older two-seat sports car, but I don't think I can swing it right now :(
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Nice ride! Checked out your smugug too. Nice shots. Its too bad your a Nikon guy :lol: (Canon 20d, 30d)

www.photoraton.com
www.teamscootertrash.com