Security Alarms / Immobilizers / Locks

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Sudsie

Security Alarms / Immobilizers / Locks

Post by Sudsie »

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good alarm system for a Buddy? I am trying to find one that is motion activated using the center stand and not just the side stand. A pager seems like it would be a good idea, but is the range worth the extra money? Does anyone have any comments on a "Gorilla 2 way paging system"? Also, if it was even possible to get an immobilizer installed. Vespa's have the immobilizers inside their engines but I couldn't pay double what I paid for my Buddy. I was also thinking of getting a Onguard cable lock - Rotwiler. What are your thoughts? :) Thanks
Drive Friendly - it's an Okie thing. :)
jaded

Post by jaded »

Grip-lock is the best kind of lock. See here.
brat

Post by brat »

We use a disc brake lock. It is small and easy to use and carry. Unless you are leaving it in a bad neighborhood or out all night, not sure you need a cable lock. With a disc brake lock they have to pick it up and carry it, becuase the front wheel will nto roll very far.
You only live once, so get off your ass and LIVE!!
bullitt.buddy

Post by bullitt.buddy »

I used a cable lock for about two days, then my neighbors mountain bike was stolen. He was using something similar to what I had. You can cut a cable lock with almost no effort. I use a real heavy duty chain. To cut or break, you would need to freeze. I run it through the center stand, where there are no bolt connections only welds. Wraps around a large car port pipe. I also remove my lisence plate, beleive it or not, but those get stolen often. Hooking up and removing takes maybe 60 seconds. Piece of mind rules when you need your sleep. They have an item called the Screamer, when cut or broken, it SCREEAAMMS!!!!!! Well, hope this helps.

Late
100 MPG, Sucka! That's why!
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

While looking into security options for my Buddy I came across a lock review you might find interesting: http://www.slate.com/id/2140083

I want both physical security and something to alert me that my scooter is being messed with so I'm also looking for a good alarm with a pager (alarm does me no good if I don't know it's going off). Any suggestions?

So overall for security I'm thinking: Grip Lock, Chain Lock, Alarm, and when all else fails Comprehensive insurance coverage. Put the grip lock and alarm on EVERY TIME. Physically lock the scooter up with a good chain lock if it's going to be out of my view longer than it takes for someone to load it into a truck (so I guess that's going to be d@mn near every time too)

It sucks to have to worry about so much security but I live in Detroit... nuff said
Last edited by Corsair on Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Corsair wrote:...So overall for security I'm thinking: Grip Lock, Chain Lock, Alarm, and when all else fails Comprehensive insurance coverage. Put the grip lock and alarm on EVERY TIME. Physically lock the scooter up with a good chain lock if it's going to be out of my view longer than it takes for someone to load it into a truck (so I guess that's going to be d@mn near every time too)
I'll give you the same advice the officer gave me when responding to my call when my house was burglarized:

"Get a dog. Get a Rottweiler, then if somebody breaks in all you'll find is their shoes."

Chain the Rotty to the scoot. Nobody will mess with it.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
JuliaGrace

Post by JuliaGrace »

I don't use an alarm of any sort, but I DO use a multifaceted security system - my point being that any would-be thieves REALLY have to want my scoot:

1) Standard disc lock (which I carry under the seat and use every time I park, whether it be for 10 minutes or 3 hours)

When parked for the night in front of my apartment on the sidewalk I take additional security measures

2) Cable lock (can't think of the brand) wrapped around the scoot frame and a power pole.

3) Nelson-Rigg cover - so at least no one can see what type of scoot or motorcycle it is.

4) ANOTHER, smaller cable lock (on top of the cover) wrapped around the front just below the signal lights. This just makes it difficult for someone to steal the cover, really. My neighbor across the street had the cover stolen off his Scarabeo 150 a few weeks ago.

I know this stuff is kind of anal, but there has been at least one attempted theft of "Spike" so I'm not taking any chances. :wink:

- Julie
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

JuliaGrace wrote:I
I know this stuff is kind of anal, but there has been at least one attempted theft of "Spike" so I'm not taking any chances. :wink:

- Julie

Not anal at all. I definitely believe that you should be able to KEEP what's YOURS. So hey the more protection the better. I just wish things didn't have to be this way, you know. I definitely know it's going to take me awhile to stop stressing about my scooter being safe overnight... lol.

Does anyone use an alarm for their scooter?

PS
As far as locks go, I think I'm going to go with the Kryptonite New York Lock:
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

I have a Blur - not a Buddy, but security is security.

1) Gorilla alarm wired in by my dealer.

2) Disc Lock for the front wheel - always carry it with me, use it everytime the scoot leaves my sight.

3) Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit massive chain to lock it at home to an anchor ring lag bolted through an outside wall of the house and through a steel plate on the inside. (Here's a good alternative to chaining your bike to the house).

4) Full insurance coverage.

I don't have a garage, but I've turned my covered patio into a scooter port, including putting up decorative lattice that keeps the scoot from being visible from the road.

I only know of one other scooter owner in my area - and his Metro has been stolen twice.

Paranoia is good.

I've had my alarm go off in the middle of the night a good half dozen times over 6 months. Some of those may have just been very windy weather (the alarm can be reset to less sensitive shock settings).

An active alarm system will put a drain your battery. Buy and use a battery tender.

So far I haven't felt the need to use more than the disc lock and alarm system when parking on my travels, but I do have a smaller (but still massive) chain and lock that is available for travel use.

-Mark
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

BlueMark wrote: 1) Gorilla alarm wired in by my dealer.

-Mark
Hey thanks for the link! That looks like a pretty good price on the Gorilla Alarm with 2-Way Paging System.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Corsair wrote: Hey thanks for the link! That looks like a pretty good price on the Gorilla Alarm with 2-Way Paging System.
It is, but it is worth it to buy from your dealer if they carry it, even if you pay a few extra dollars (and you may not once you figure in shipping and handling). Especially if you need the dealer to install it for you - which I recommend unless you are an experienced wrench. It isn't that complicated, but it is worth the peace of mind to have it done professionally, and it won't cost much.

-Mark
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

How much of a drain to the battery does the alarm have?
jallen013

Post by jallen013 »

jaded wrote:Grip-lock is the best kind of lock. See here.
i certanly may be missing something, but it seems to me that all that's necessary to circumvent the grip lock would be a quick snip of the brake line/cable. it would surely help keep the honest people honest, but i'm not sure how far it would go in stopping (or even slowing) an actual thief.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

jallen013 wrote:
jaded wrote:Grip-lock is the best kind of lock. See here.
i certanly may be missing something, but it seems to me that all that's necessary to circumvent the grip lock would be a quick snip of the brake line/cable. it would surely help keep the honest people honest, but i'm not sure how far it would go in stopping (or even slowing) an actual thief.

I was just thinking about that. The locks main use for me would be for parking situation where I can't use the chain or for quick stops. For that use I think it's great. For longer parking or overnight security though, I'm definitely about physically locking it to something.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Corsair wrote:How much of a drain to the battery does the alarm have?
Not much, the only time mine has run down was when I didn't ride for a couple of weeks and temps went down to zero. During warmer weather when I rode at least once a week the battery never lost charge.

But concern for that is why I have a battery tender, and have the peace of mind of a kick starter.

-Mark
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

thanks for the reply!
soundofsingles

Post by soundofsingles »

I use a disc lock and an old bicycle cable lock when I'm out at night, or in the city. I've thought about an alarm and am actually glad that I didn't have one in the following story:

I was at a show at the Cat's Cradle, an awesome music venue in Chapel Hill. I wrapped the cable lock around an awning support right in front of the venue. The opening band that night was late because their van had broken down and ended up having to be towed to the venue. When I left the show that night my bike had been picked up and moved out of the way of the bands van while still chained to the pole. It was awful nice of them to gently move my buddy. It would have made every one's evening much more unpleasent if buddy had started screaming at them. Of course, on the down side a friend of a friend had his scooter stolen from his driveway a couple of blocks away a while back.

You take your chances I guess.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

soundofsingles wrote:I use a disc lock and an old bicycle cable lock when I'm out at night, or in the city.
Just a note on using bicycle cable. I wouldn't recommend it. They're pretty easy for thieves to get through (as well as cheap combination/key locks). I used to live in Philly and saw many cut/broken bike cables laying along bike racks. No security is perfect but the harder you make it for them the better the chance you'll have a scooter in the morning.
Rob520

Post by Rob520 »

i have a Gorilla Alarm on my scoot, and it works great. It'l loud, multi funvtional, and you can have a transmitter wich notify's you if someone has touched or is trying to steal it.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Rob520 wrote:i have a Gorilla Alarm on my scoot, and it works great. It'l loud, multi funvtional, and you can have a transmitter wich notify's you if someone has touched or is trying to steal it.
Did you install it yourself or did your dealer (if so, how much did they charge you?) For that matter, has anyone installed an alarm themselves? If you have a guide/pics that would help.
Last edited by Corsair on Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ebcspace

lock options

Post by ebcspace »

I use a combination of the kryptonite new york noose and the faghettaboudit chain and lock, which uses the new york lock. the noose goes around the frame of the buddy on the lower left rear under the floorboard, then ends up just behind the front wheel, where it meets the faghettaboudit chain, which is looped around a large parking structure column in front of the front wheel of the buddy, and both chains are joined together with the new york lock.

previous to this, I used a cable lock, of considerable thickness, until I read the post mentioning how cable locks are no real fortress.

may your buddy be safe ! :wink:
Attachments
kryptonitefahgettaboudit_117.jpg
kryptonitefahgettaboudit_117.jpg (10.81 KiB) Viewed 5026 times
kryptonitenoose_596.jpg
kryptonitenoose_596.jpg (7.16 KiB) Viewed 5026 times
scoot on!
Keys

Post by Keys »

I am SOOOO glad I don't (and won't) live in a city. Theft of my scooter is pretty much a non-issue here...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

what have you found to be the best way to chain your scooter up? (The Kryptonite chain is pretty big)
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Corsair wrote:what have you found to be the best way to chain your scooter up? (The Kryptonite chain is pretty big)
And heavier than a cinder block.

I have a smaller chain lock (Master) that in theory I can use for traveling, but in practice I just use my disc lock and alarm when away from home. I'll use the Master chain for overnight stays, or if I have to park at a risky location like a shopping mall. A hefty cable lock would be good too - yes they (and the smaller chains) can be cut with big bolt cutters - but hopefully parking in a very exposed public location, with an alarm that will be wailing - will deter thieves from cutting your bike loose and throwing it into a pickup truck under the eye of a security camera.

If only every business had a motorcycle parking area with something secure to lock to and video coverage. If you find any that do - make it a point to find the manager and give 'em a hug. Or something manly and equivalent.

-Mark
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Corsair wrote:what have you found to be the best way to chain your scooter up? (The Kryptonite chain is pretty big)
That's why I got the NY Noose. I always cinch the chain tight through the loop so thieves can't use any leverage to snap the chain. I chain the floorboard to a solid object cemented into the ground, like a fence post. I chain up my scooter while I'm at work and when I'm going to be parked at a place for more than just a few minutes.

I was getting pretty anxious just leaving my scooter parked in front of my friends' house or the coffeeshop, but neither spots had safe places to lock my chain. ALSO! The other day, I walked to my garage to see that my idiot landlady or her idiot mother left the garage door wide open, ready for anyone to waltz in and wheel out my scooter, or grab my helmet! UGH!!! I recently got a disc lock off eBay. I was gonna get a grip lever lock, but they're so expensive!

Also, man...that dang ol' heavy and long chain...talk about a gigantic pain in the @$$. That, and dealing with my cover every time I ride to work are the only drawbacks to my scooter. I really am paranoid Pinky T is gonna get stolen, but not without reason. I've had so much stolen from me since I've lived in this #$!@%@#$% town.... /bitter rant
ModBud #442
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

polianarchy wrote: That's why I got the NY Noose. I always cinch the chain tight through the loop so thieves can't use any leverage to snap the chain. I chain the floorboard to a solid object cemented into the ground, like a fence post.
I was wondering if the floor board was the best way to secure the chain, thanks. How much chain length did you need?

Does anyone know where I can get a cover that I can actually lock (so that no one can just pull it off)? Also, does anyone have pics of how they secure their scooter?
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Corsair wrote:Does anyone know where I can get a cover that I can actually lock
What I do is put the cover on, then put the disc lock on the brake disk, tucking the edge of the cover in the slot. It doesn't perforate the fabric, and secures it whiles immobilizing the Scooter.

Of course a determined cover thief could cut it loose, but I don't think there is any cure for that.

-Mark
markontour

Post by markontour »

For security when out, sometimes I remember to take the key out of the ignition.
mlee10018

Post by mlee10018 »

OnGuard mastiff comes with a disc lock that goes around either of the front forks and a noose to go around even a large street lamp base. I got the long version which works great and fits in the open carrier.
Lee
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Corsair wrote:How much chain length did you need?
I got the big one: four foot, three inches. The other one would be too short.

http://www.tonker.com/store/kryptonite_ny_noose.html
ModBud #442
lojical1

Post by lojical1 »

Could someone give me some input on why one prefers a noose chain and lock over a regular chain ? What are the benefits and drawbacks and how did u decide on the one u currently own.
"I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive."
-Spike Spiegel

If ur not scared u aint drivin' fast enough .
BlueMark

Noose Chain

Post by BlueMark »

lojical1 wrote:Could someone give me some input on why one prefers a noose chain and lock over a regular chain ? What are the benefits and drawbacks and how did u decide on the one u currently own.
The noose chain gives you almost twice the reach of a regular chain of the same length because you don't have to loop it back. These chains are massive and very heavy - so doubling your reach is a big bonus.

How you use it is you 'noose' the one end around an immovable object (like a lamp post) and then lock the other end directly onto your scooter. Or vice versa. Or you can make a small loop at the other end with the lock. With the long chain you could even lock 3 scooters together. The 'Noose' gives you lots of flexibility.

This is a very heavy massive chain, I'm guessing at least 10 lbs. It is not very portable, but necessary if you visit high crime areas or have to leave your scooter out of sight and vulnerable for long periods of time.
lojical1

Post by lojical1 »

polianarchy wrote: I got the big one: four foot, three inches. The other one would be too short.
Could you possibly post a pic of how you chain up your scoot ? Visuals would really help and let me know if I'm doing it right :wink:
-Spike Spiegel

ebcspace

chains locks parking

Post by ebcspace »

here's an example.. how i lock up the buddy.

i live in a condo, and have a car port. we have a car and two scooters.
the security of the scooters is obviously important to us.

there are two large column/posts that exist on my side of the car port structure, which i use to lock up the scooters. i picked up an extra noose chain to allow the buddy to be parked alongside the car, nose to the post, with room to walk by, and to be able to take vespa out without moving the buddy.
Attachments
chain goes around post, meets with noose, and the two lock together with a new york lock.  noose end is looped around frame of buddy below floorboard.
chain goes around post, meets with noose, and the two lock together with a new york lock. noose end is looped around frame of buddy below floorboard.
buddy-b-ivory.gif (77.45 KiB) Viewed 4809 times
car is parked with scooters locked to either post of car port, covered and secure.
car is parked with scooters locked to either post of car port, covered and secure.
top-view.gif (5.34 KiB) Viewed 4809 times
scoot on!
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

this is located on the right side of the buddy, in front of the muffler. my chain (NY kryptonite brand) fits easily thru this part of the frame and leaves a good length left for me to chain it to the carport support. I don't have the noose type chain. [/img]
Attachments
chainsee.jpg
chainsee.jpg (35.48 KiB) Viewed 4794 times
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

sorry, didnt know how to put two pics in the same post. (forum noob!)
Attachments
chain.jpg
chain.jpg (37.87 KiB) Viewed 4793 times
ebcspace

locking up with a chain

Post by ebcspace »

the same kind of lower frame feature also exists on the other side
of the scooter (away from the exhaust side).

of course it depends on what
you're locking to, and what side you have to park on because of available space.

for me, locking the buddy up on the exhaust side meant getting into a tight space between the buddy and a bush, and trying not to touch the exhaust while I couldn't see exactly what I was doing.

don't get me wrong... did I say I didn't enjoy getting burnt by the exhaust pipe ? brings you right into the moment !
scoot on!
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

yeah i should have mentioned, using the right side is a hair tricky, i've been burnt a few times, but i keep my leather gloves on and that helps a tremendous deal.

if you use the left side, you can use the same shape of the frame, but i find it a little more like threading a needle, for be it doesnt get done as quickly, i usually opt for the little risk of a burn. i've gotten used to doing it, and haven't burned myself recently.
lojical1

Post by lojical1 »

Thank you so much ebcspace and weaseltamer! My "special" brain needed visuals to figure out how it all worked. I think I will go with the noose chain by Kryptonite. I really appreciate your input :D
-Spike Spiegel

polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

lojical1 wrote:
polianarchy wrote: I got the big one: four foot, three inches. The other one would be too short.
Could you possibly post a pic of how you chain up your scoot ? Visuals would really help and let me know if I'm doing it right :wink:
I will take pictures and post them tomorrow. I do it differently than those guys. I think their way is a tad dangerous what with all the burns and such! I also think my way is more secure, since it encompasses the entire frame of the scooter, and not just a bit of kickstand. At least, that's what the diagrams look like!

Please do remember I am a paranoid (yet dazzling) urbanite. However, as you are in Detroit (similar to Philadelphia in Fear & Loathing, yes?), you may want to consider my security tactics.
ModBud #442
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

polianarchy wrote: I also think my way is more secure, since it encompasses the entire frame of the scooter, and not just a bit of kickstand

no i don't have mine chained around the center stand or kickstand, When i bought it, i made sure to ask him what the most secure way to lock it was, and he pointed to that part of the frame.
planowayne

Post by planowayne »

I park in a good area when I ride to work, I primarily lock just to keep some practical joker from pushing my bike around behind the garage to try and give me a heart attack.

I use a kryptonite cable lock, wrapped through the frame opening and then around a drain pipe in the garage.

Today, someone came up and was talking to me as I was chaining, I got a little careless, and let my left index finger make contact with the exhaust. Ouch :cry: ! Think I'm going to be in the market for a disk lock . . .
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

As promised, photos:

I included this photo to demonstrate that I clip my cover to the area the other fellows use for securing their locks.

See how my chain is super-snug around the scooter frame? Both Kryptonite and On-Guard include sleeves to protect the chain from scratching your finish.

Always lock your scooter up to a secure object, such as a fence post. Admittedly, if a thief really wanted to steal my scooter, they could probably use tools to break the fence post.

I chose the NY Noose from Kryptonite because it allows me to cinch the chain as tight as possible around my scooter.

I took a photo to show y'all my latest "mod", my cheap-o velcroed-on digital clock from Target. Of course, it got stolen while I was grocery shopping about four hours after this photo was taken. Buncha savages in this town!
ModBud #442
mlee10018

Post by mlee10018 »

This is how my onguard chain and lock work. put the noose around a pole, and chain the other end to either front fork. The forks get thicker than the lock at the tips, so even if the wheel is removed, you still can not remove the lock from the fork.
Attachments
04-11-07_0917.jpg
04-11-07_0917.jpg (182.35 KiB) Viewed 4984 times
Lee
Keys

Post by Keys »

So Philly is the "City of Brotherly Savages", eh?

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Keys wrote:So Philly is the "City of Brotherly Savages", eh?

--Keys 8)
Only if you knew.... Living just enough... just enough for the city
weebl

Post by weebl »

I have a big heavy chain too (one of the 5' onguard locks) and it has an added bonus... if anyone tries to bother my while I'm locking up my scooter, I can just hit them with the chain. Because it weighs a ton.

I vaguely remember hearing on of our testosterone-crazed scooter club boys bragging about how he used his chain to smash in the window of a driver who cut out in front of him and almost killed him. Personally, I'm not a fan of retaliatory violence, but those chains are BEEFY.
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

i've got a friend that keeps saying i should get a crowbar to pull out in a bind. i support violence, but only the very nessicary type. but i was pretty irritated i almost got swiped twice today. gar!
mlee10018

Post by mlee10018 »

weaseltamer wrote:i've got a friend that keeps saying i should get a crowbar to pull out in a bind. i support violence, but only the very nessicary type. but i was pretty irritated i almost got swiped twice today. gar!
you need a loud horn!!!
Lee
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

For those of you that have either Kryptonite or OnGuard, have you used the lock as a disc lock? I read that it can be used as one. How does that work?