Performance Clutch?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Scootden

Performance Clutch?

Post by Scootden »

Does anyone know if there is a performance clutch that will fit the buddy 50?

I think I need one now that the rest of my scoot is kitted.

josh
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Check ebay for GY6 Performance clutches. I've seen a few. The buddy is based off the Gy6 engines so you might find one that fits. I've even seen kitts which claim they'll fit on a PGO bubu 125 and make it 190cc with direct bolt on. But they said a performance clutch, kevlar belt, and all that other stuff would also be required for it to work.
Scootden

Post by Scootden »

Awesome, thank you!

I think I burnt my clutch up yesterday.....apparently 65mph is to fast.

josh
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Make sure it's made in taiwan or japan. I wouldnt buy anything that said made in china.
Scootden

Post by Scootden »

GY6 is the motor PGO uses in the 50cc?

What other scoot's use the GY6?

josh
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Scootden wrote:GY6 is the motor PGO uses in the 50cc?

What other scoot's use the GY6?
The PGO motor is not strictly a GY6 (originally a Honda motor), it's essentially a clone of it. Almost all Taiwanese/Chinese/Asian scoots in this range use a variation of the GY6. But parts for these are not necessarily interchangeable, and the transmissions are often quite different. A performance clutch for a generic GY6 would likely not fit a Buddy 50.

The Buddy 50cc motor is a P5 (the 125cc is a C2), which I think is PGO's designation for each engine.

SO... not performance clutch available in the US yet. If you were to research Asian and European or other foreign sources, look for something for the BuBu, Ligero or Metro (in Canada).
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Scootden

Post by Scootden »

Thanks ericalm.
The amount of gy6 stuff out there is overwhelming.
I'm wondering if something from a kymco might fit....my shop was thinking they might try it.....either way something is very wrong with my scoot.
Yesterday i was hauling ass down a big hill and PING! BANG! thunk-thunk-thunk.....
I pulled over thinking I'd thrown (or Broken) the belt.
When I open up the case I found the belt in place, lot's of belt "dust" all over the inside and the outside of the clutch housing had Blue "overheated" "spots"....I think it might be warped. The belt doesn't run smooth and the clutch looks alittle warped.

I'm hoping that a performance clutch is the answer....I'll know more tomorrow when the shop opens.

I probably push that little scoot to hard...

josh
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Scootden wrote:Thanks ericalm.
The amount of gy6 stuff out there is overwhelming.
I'm wondering if something from a kymco might fit....my shop was thinking they might try it.....either way something is very wrong with my scoot.
Yesterday i was hauling ass down a big hill and PING! BANG! thunk-thunk-thunk.....
I pulled over thinking I'd thrown (or Broken) the belt.
When I open up the case I found the belt in place, lot's of belt "dust" all over the inside and the outside of the clutch housing had Blue "overheated" "spots"....I think it might be warped. The belt doesn't run smooth and the clutch looks alittle warped.

I'm hoping that a performance clutch is the answer....I'll know more tomorrow when the shop opens.

I probably push that little scoot to hard...
Welcome to the slippery slope!
Stock parts are intended to run together. There's a reason that scoots become less reliable when you start to mod them. Were you running stock rollers in your variator?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Scootden

Post by Scootden »

ericalm wrote:Welcome to the slippery slope!
Stock parts are intended to run together. There's a reason that scoots become less reliable when you start to mod them. Were you running stock rollers in your variator?
Nope. I've been playing around with different weights....I'm actually not sure what was in there at the time...I know they were light.
A week ago the nut spun off the clutch...and the spring got all tangled up...locking up my rear wheel. The shop fixed it quick and put some serious locktite on it, which might be part of the problem. The mechanic told me he put in some lighter rollers...but he didn't say which ones.
PITA.

josh
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Scootden wrote:
ericalm wrote:Welcome to the slippery slope!
Nope. I've been playing around with different weights....I'm actually not sure what was in there at the time...I know they were light.
A week ago the nut spun off the clutch...and the spring got all tangled up...locking up my rear wheel. The shop fixed it quick and put some serious locktite on it, which might be part of the problem. The mechanic told me he put in some lighter rollers...but he didn't say which ones.
PITA.

josh
Well, failing a performance clutch, I'd suggest returning everything in the transmission to stock. The warped clutch sounds like bad news and bad performance. And if you haven't already, consider a kevlar belt.
Scootden

Post by Scootden »

ericalm wrote:Well, failing a performance clutch, I'd suggest returning everything in the transmission to stock. The warped clutch sounds like bad news and bad performance. And if you haven't already, consider a kevlar belt.
I'm debating it for sure.

I wonder if maybe they didn't tighten the clutch down to much when they fixed it the other day? Might be something to consider.

josh
Scootden

Post by Scootden »

For anyone that was following this....it turns out I broke the crankshaft.

Crazy....I'd been warned, by a member of this site, about doing this once My 50cc was kitted out. The shop didn't think it would be a problem....wrong.

josh
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Crap, sorry to hear about that. If you raised this concern to you mechanic, who said it wouldn't be a problem, I hope they're going to cut you a deal on any rebuild you need. Free labor, maybe?
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

If you did fry the clutch does Dr Pulley make a HIT clutch that will fit? Those things are supposed to be awesome :shock:
EZPZ #65
Scootden

Post by Scootden »

ericalm wrote:Crap, sorry to hear about that. If you raised this concern to you mechanic, who said it wouldn't be a problem, I hope they're going to cut you a deal on any rebuild you need. Free labor, maybe?
They are going to take good care of me, as they always do.

The mechanic said "this is the worst thing I've ever seen on a modern bike"

Looks like a week without the scoot....

josh
heatwave23

Post by heatwave23 »

Please do not post information to this forum unless you know what you are talking about. The Honda GY6 Engine is a FOUR STROKE!!! The buddy 50 is based off a Minareli Horizontal 2stroke… I am not sure if the GY6 clutch will fit but I have determined that we have a 107mm bell and that what I am using to order my clutch.

I just ordered parts from http://www.sip-scootershop.com/

Clutch RMS Racing Pro
Art.-Nr. R25943

Once it is received, I will post to confirm it fits but I will also say that calling Scooterworks will be a waste of time they are the most useless company I have ever seen.
Last edited by heatwave23 on Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

heatwave23 wrote: Once it is received, I will post to confirm it fits but I will also say that calling Scooterworks will be a waist of time they are the most useless company I have ever seen.
I'm not so sure it is fair to come down on Scooterworks / Genuine Scooters because they won't help you mod your scoot with parts they don't sell or endorse. You choose the road when you decide to go with third party suppliers or experimental applications. Hope it goes well.
Piedmont

Post by Piedmont »

heatwave23 wrote: a waist of time
What size belt does time wear? :lol:
heatwave23

Post by heatwave23 »

Trust me I gave Scooterwork more that a fair shake and have a laundry list of things they did wrong. I understand they do not carry all the performance parts that I require and never expected them to help with that. However I do expect Sales people to be able to assist with the products that they do carry. They only have one “technical person” and I use that term loosely Ryan and he is only available 2 hours a week. A buddy of mine made the mistake of ordering a Stage one kit Ryan put together and a couple of other parts. The only thing that fit was the pipe and rollers out of 5 parts… they re-sent more wrong parts, don’t return calls/e-mails and are basically ignoring him because they don’t know what parts fit the buddy.

I attempted to order parts… When the parts did not arrive on the day the were supposed to… I called them and they couldn’t explain why they weren’t shipped… they assured me it would ship that day and I would have a tracking # by COB... the next day I call back because I never received the tracking # and then I get my tracking # but hours later I get a call and they say my parts didn’t ship because they are missing the pipe “the main thing I wanted” and it will be delayed yet again

This is the reason I decided to go with a third party supplier