What Color Buddy is Fastest?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

lobsterman

What Color Buddy is Fastest?

Post by lobsterman »

I plan on heading over to Metro Scooter in Cincinnati tomorrow (really, my wife said so). I'm new to this whole scooter thing but I really think the Buddy is right for me... I am intent on replacing my miserable bus commute with a scooter. I can't say from experience that the scooter will be more fun than the bus, but honestly cutting the grass on a 100 degree day is more fun than riding the bus to/from work.

My question, and this is really important, is this:

Which color Buddy is fastest?

I need to know because I might want to ride my Buddy in places other than the just the 35MPH limited roads between home and office. I might also want to ride with my wife on the back once in a while, so I need to know which color handles two people best as well.

What do you all think?

I am also vaguely interested in how well other vehicle drivers can see the different colors at night, since my wife is concerned about this.

If you get the idea that I care over much what my wife thinks, consider that I have stayed married for 21 years through a complicated process of give/take with her. She has gone from completely against the scooter to grudging acceptance of the idea, so I want to humor her a little.
jess

Post by jess »

Orange. Definitely.
jess

Post by jess »

Oh, and some strategically placed reflective tape will make you extremely visible at night as well.
GatsbyGirl

Post by GatsbyGirl »

It may be difficult to come to terms with, but pink is definitely the fastest color. Perhaps it's because Buddies don't come in red (the traditional fastest color in scooters) and pink is the closest thing.

Yes, pink has a stigma of not being very manly, but sometimes you have to put your speed needs first.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Black is clearly the fastest. This is obvious because it moves so quickly that it simply absorbs all light, hence the absence of color on the scoot.

Regarding visibility, scooters are low, small, and in general difficult to see. Get some gear with bright colors and reflective patches, and you'll achieve much more towards being seen than a bright paint job could ever do. Think about it this way, if someone is behind you, how much paint do they see? Not much! However, your back and helmet present substantially more surface area, so make them stand out! Same for the front. Not as much for the sides, but hopefully not many motorists will be coming at your perpendicularly!
Melody

Post by Melody »

Well. I guess I have to represent the CREAM color.

The pearlish finish really helps the aerodynamics. I SWEAR! Also, it has it's own reflective qualities.

It's pretty much just like lightning -- which is pretty fast.
Peace and Love
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Wow.

I am overwhelmed by the helpfulness of this group. You guys rock.

I am leaning towards the black, but Jess says the orange one is fastest... and I am not against orange really.

GG, thanks but I think I will pass on the pink one... it's just not me. Not even a little bit.

Melody, I dunno about the Cream color. They've got one in a Bank window here in downtown Cincinnati and it doesn't look fast to me.

What about the color that handles a co-pilot best? No opinions?
Melody

Post by Melody »

Um. It's pretty fast. ;)
Peace and Love
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

My best advice is to convince your wife to get the fastest scooter: pink, since you're not able to handle the raw power of this beast.

As for yourself, black is the next fastest color. The orange seats are extremely hot if left in the sun (unless they've changed the material lately). All this heat absorption creates a slower ride.

As a side note I have noticed the pink's rear shock is a looser bound spring than the black (and most likely the cream and orange, too). Probably because they figured lighter persons (girls) would buy the pink. I've ridden both and don't really notice much of a difference in the ride. I don't know how much this would affect 2-person trips.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

BG,

Thanks, that's good thinking about the seat color. Black is clearly the way to go.

My wife won't be getting her own scooter, at least not yet. Maybe after she gets used to the idea and tries mine she'll decide she wants one of her own. Even then, she won't go for the pink one, as she is doesn't like the color at all. Our little girl would want pink, but she's only seven and will have to wait.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

This is pretty problematic because of the limited color options and the unavailability of some fast colors (red, aurora blue). We know the next color is going to be an avocado green. Let's be honest: avocado = pokey. And, like "the camera," it will add 10 pounds.

As I learned over on ModernVespa, there is scientific evidence to support the case for blue. Particles moving faster-than-light emit a blue flash; this is known as Cerenkov Radiation.

Buy creme. Paint blue. Haul ass.
Melody

Post by Melody »

That is exactly why I bought cream actually! It's the best "canvas". Once Kevin get's his tatt's he is going to be HARDCORE. And we ALL know hardcore things are faster.
Peace and Love
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

we have a black and a cream. the cream really is faster according to my husband who drives both.
paige

Post by paige »

Hobbes is obviously the coolest. and fastest.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

This does present a problem.

Despite my problem with relating the Buddy's performance to the speed of light, I like the color idea implied by Cherenkov radiation. I must admit I am unlikely to paint my Buddy, at least not right away.

There is obviously empirical evidence that cream is faster than black here. Perhaps I could discount this as an anamoly from a statisticly meaningless sample of one, but can I risk it?

On the other hand (how many hands am I allowed?), I am a huge Calvin & Hobbes fan, and Jess also says orange is fastest. But what about the drag of the seat when the sun is out? Surely that would slow me down.

Maybe I could ask Seth and company at Metro what they think when I go tomorrow. The whole issue could prove academic when confronted with the harsh realities of available stock.
lou76

Post by lou76 »

this question should definitely be answered once and for all in the most scientific manner possible: a giant race... it is the only way that we will ever know for sure... i understand the logic behind the arguments for black and cream, but an important point has been left out...
the gradiation of the color scheme on the "sunset" buddy is the key to its performance... the monochrome black model and the clashing cream-with-black-interior-panels model both represent color schemes that pay little attention to the clarksburg theory of subtle color coordination correlating to improved aerodynamic efficiency...
with the orange buddy, the "sunset" color of the exterior, the "burnt sunset" of the interior, and the natural brown of the seat flow together, without the bluntness of the black or the sharp lines of the cream...
i am surprised that you did not notice this on first glance...

oh, and btw, as important as being visible is, lighting oneself on fire for a late-night excursion on your buddy, while making you very hard to miss, has some unpleasant side effects of its own....
notselfcreated

Post by notselfcreated »

I would've thought "cream" was the fastest. You know, because it's cream. Cream makes things slippery. Thus, lower friction. Like greased lightning!
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

This is the easiest question I've answered since August 31st (the date I picked up my Sunset Orange Buddy).

Sunset is the fastest by far.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner Dottie, a REBEL.
BoneGirl

The race is one

Post by BoneGirl »

OK, Lobsterman,

I have pink, Ben has black and I know there's a couple other folks in XYL with cream and sunset. Since we all live in Cincinnati we'll just have to meet you at Metro for the challenge!! :lol: Gentlemen, start your engines! 8)

PS I heard the brown seat on the sunset has indeed been changed to one with better material so as not to be so hot. The race could get close!
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

I heard the brown seat on the sunset has indeed been changed to one with better material so as not to be so hot.
Uh, the seat gets hot because ITS A FREAKING FIREBALL!

As a Sunset Orange Buddy 125 owner I know! The fastest of all Buddy's is the Sunset Orange. There is no coincedence that Orange is the only buddy color found in a flame! I'm not sure what other evidence one would need, but I got one more nugget for ya.

FACT: I've never been beaten in a race by a Buddy of any other color!

Enough said.

Enjoy your Sunset Orange Buddy when you pick it up! I hope this reply reaches you in time.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner Dottie, a REBEL.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

lobsterman wrote: On the other hand (how many hands am I allowed?), I am a huge Calvin & Hobbes fan, and Jess also says orange is fastest. But what about the drag of the seat when the sun is out? Surely that would slow me down.
What you're missing when you think about Hobbes, is that his speed is in fact brought about by the black stripes, not the orange ones. Just think how much faster he would be without the orange/cream colors slowing him down! Hint: think black panther! :twisted:
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

After a great deal of discussion at Metro, it looks like I will be getting an orange Buddy 125. Due to the torrential rain, I didn't get to ride any. :(

I will admit my wife and I did sit on a very cool looking blue Lazer. I was nearly fooled by the styling, the 13 inch wheels, and the foot pegs for the 2nd rider. Turns out it costs a few hundred dollars more, gets worse mileage, and isn't as fast as the Buddy.

I will keep everyone posted on how fast it is once I get it.

Thanks again everyone for all the insightful comments.
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

Lobsterman! Congratulations! I rode with Seth up in Clifton Saturday night and the first thing I asked was what color and he told me the sunset orange. Glad to hear it. I had my new windshield on for our ride and it was great. I only mention it because it made the pink Buddy that much more faster! Sorry about your luck! Tee! Hee! :P

All kidding aside, we can't wait to have you join in a ride sometime. I think your name might be Kevin? Yes?

Angie
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I'm looking forward to riding at all!

Yes, my name might be Kevin. It is, in fact, actually Kevin.

Kevin will be riding an orange Buddy, which my daughter (who names all our vehicles) will no doubt want to name Hobbes. I know that name is already in use by another member here, but maybe they could let it slide...
paige

Post by paige »

The more Hobbes' the merrier.

Mi Hobbes es tu Hobbes.

Etc.