So, how is the Mccuff when filling the Buddy's tank?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

jijifer wrote:I use the mcguff every time. It's faster and never over fills. Skootz, do you have that built in ledge that's an inch down in your tank? The McGuff actually even stops a little short so I have to peek under it after the first stop to see if I need more.

I found pulling back the collars to pump the gas to me more messy and inconsistent than mcguff experience. Some collar designs more friendly than others.

I've never over filled using the Mcguff. I really dig it and it helps keep harmful vapors out of our lungs!
Cool. Show me on Saturday. I''d like to see it in action.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:[ I sure don't want to carry around a gas soaked smelly plastic thing everywhere I go
Actually:

1/ It is not gas soaked as it does not absorb gas
2/ It comes with a nice case that prevents any smells.

Best part is you are critiquing a product that you have zero experience with!

From what I have seen, all the Buddy owners who use it recommend it.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

desmolicious wrote:Best part is you are critiquing a product that you have zero experience with!
And zero interest in. But I couldn't be happier that you and others like it.

Syd

Post by Syd »

I'll quote Eric from over three years ago:
Ericalm wrote:I never thought this would be such a hot topic.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
desmolicious wrote:Best part is you are critiquing a product that you have zero experience with!
And zero interest in.
So why are you commenting? No interest and no experience.

Bored?
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

desmolicious wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:
And zero interest in.
So why are you commenting? No interest and no experience.

Bored?
I'm not sure what your personal investment is in these products but if you read back a couple of posts you'll recall that I said "I wouldn't use one because...". As this is a public forum, I need no reason to comment other than I feel like it. Why you are so emotionally wrapped up in this, I do not know. If you own one of these products (do you own one?) and you like it, then I am very happy for you and wish you many happy fillups.

Moving on...

sotied

Post by sotied »

What's odd is that you guys (and gals) are all talking about holding back the collar. While out here in MA it's required that pumps have that auto-emission collector collar thing, I have yet to have to hold it back. I just insert the very tip (no jokes please) of the nozzle into the tank and start filling. The nozzle is angled so I can see the gas flowing into the tank and can judge when to let off pressure.

Either the nozzles out here (and I fill up anywhere and have 10,000+ miles now) are less sensitive than all of you have where you live, or I'm inadvertently pressing the edge of the collar against the edge of the collar when I fill up the tank.

No runs, drips or errors.

Will pay attention next time to see if I'm holding the collar involuntarily.
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

sotied wrote:What's odd is that you guys (and gals) are all talking about holding back the collar. While out here in MA it's required that pumps have that auto-emission collector collar thing, I have yet to have to hold it back. I just insert the very tip (no jokes please) of the nozzle into the tank and start filling. The nozzle is angled so I can see the gas flowing into the tank and can judge when to let off pressure.

Either the nozzles out here (and I fill up anywhere and have 10,000+ miles now) are less sensitive than all of you have where you live, or I'm inadvertently pressing the edge of the collar against the edge of the collar when I fill up the tank.

+1 on doing the same thing. I splattered gas all over just once, the first time and learned what not to do
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
MYSCTR

Do What???

Post by MYSCTR »

Heck we just pour in gas until it runs out the top and hits the driveway... then we know it is full. We don't need no do-hickey to tell us that!

Just kidding - Eric is right again about the topic!

Really - I want to see a big burley guy that rips his sleeves off roll in on a chopper and get out this thing while listening to Dancing Queen - ya that will go over real well down here... :lol:

Whew - is it time to ride yet?
robby

Post by robby »

I can't believe this is a real product.

Here's $20 advice for free: hold the gas pump a couple inches up when you fill your tank.
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

robby wrote:I can't believe this is a real product.
Do you have big rubber vapour emissions bellows on your gas pumps in MA like we do in CA?
Syd

Post by Syd »

desmolicious wrote:
Do you have big rubber vapour emissions bellows on your gas pumps in MA like we do in CA?
In Phoenix metro, and probably most of CA too, all pumps nozzles have a device like this
This device has to be forced back a couple inches at least in order for gas to flow.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
robby

Post by robby »

Oh, no we don't have those here in MA.
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

robby wrote:Oh, no we don't have those here in MA.
Which is why you don't need the McCuff!

Seriously, those bellows suck big time. You have to shake em out before use in case someone before you somehow overfilled and there is gas in there. Just waiting to dump out on your ride.

Which defeats the entire point of their vapour capturing emissions saving role...
Meresankh

Post by Meresankh »

Syd wrote:
desmolicious wrote:
In Phoenix metro, and probably most of CA too, all pumps nozzles have a device like this
This device has to be forced back a couple inches at least in order for gas to flow.
Ugh! I hate those collar thingies! About half the gas stations here in Vegas have those. Of the ones that do have them, about 80% have to be pulled back an inch or two before they'll dispense the gas. You never know which ones are which until after you've swiped your card and started trying to fill up. It's a big PITA, and I always make a mess with those.

To those of you who like this, you have me convinced. I think I am going to have to add a $20 doo-hickey to the stash of stuff under my seat. =)
Nevada Scooter Brigade on Meetup.com
2008 Honda Metropolitan 50cc - Cleo
2007 Genuine Buddy 125 - Nepthys

Edwub

Post by Edwub »

Anyone tried this with a 220 Blur? I thought it was kind of silly at first, but I can see the appeal.

It was harder to fill up the Blur than I thought. The tank is bigger than my last scoot by a lot (more time pumping) and the placement is tricky. Really hard to hold back the bellow that long at my preferred station , and More importantly, I really don't want to spill over as the tank is raised between my legs and can get me dirty aaaand look ugly if dirty. Maybe I just need to get used to it, but I found it difficult to look and check gas level on the 220. (not that i've done it that many times yet, heh)

So in summary, I can see why a one time convienence purchase of this isn't nuts :P
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
And zero interest in. But I couldn't be happier that you and others like it.

CRIPPLE FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!! :P
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

sotied wrote:What's odd is that you guys (and gals) are all talking about holding back the collar. While out here in MA it's required that pumps have that auto-emission collector collar thing, I have yet to have to hold it back. I just insert the very tip (no jokes please) of the nozzle into the tank and start filling. The nozzle is angled so I can see the gas flowing into the tank and can judge when to let off pressure.

We in N.C. dont have those long collars on most pumps. On the product we are talking about, if the mood strikes, I may get one. I will say I have been making an effort to not impulse buy, and my bank accounts can tell. :)
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

Edwub wrote:Anyone tried this with a 220 Blur? I thought it was kind of silly at first, but I can see the appeal.

It was harder to fill up the Blur than I thought. The tank is bigger than my last scoot by a lot (more time pumping) and the placement is tricky. Really hard to hold back the bellow that long at my preferred station , and More importantly, I really don't want to spill over as the tank is raised between my legs and can get me dirty aaaand look ugly if dirty. Maybe I just need to get used to it, but I found it difficult to look and check gas level on the 220. (not that i've done it that many times yet, heh)

So in summary, I can see why a one time convienence purchase of this isn't nuts :P
If I get a chance this weekend, I'll check out what the gas tank filling situation looks like on the Blur. My local shop has them on the floor.
This is because the McCuff does not work on all bikes e.g. it is terrible with Vespa 250/300 (due to the shape of the Vespa gas tank nozzle) but perfect with Buddys and MP3 500. It is not needed on Stellas and Vespa P/Pxs as those have huge tank openings.