a stupid what if by me

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kazoo

a stupid what if by me

Post by kazoo »

Since so many new people are jumping onto scooters to save on their gas bills I was wondering at what point in the gas/gallon price will they abandon their scooters for Bicycles :lol: :lol: :lol:
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

$20 per gallon... unless i get a raise...
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

As gas prices go up I just find myself extending my riding season by buying warmer and warmer gear.

I don't think a pedal bike would ever be ok for me just because of all the miles I have to cover in a day.

$20 a gallon would definitely have me considering it though.
charltons

Post by charltons »

MikieTaps wrote:$20 per gallon... unless i get a raise...
$20/gal- the end of our economic system as we know it. Just kidding, but a serious reconsideration of our lifestyle though. Maybe my city would develop decent mass transit. that would be something.
" You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought " - Leia
luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

$20 a gallon = Mass Chaos

It scares me to think about it (shakes it off). At $20 a gallon I would drive my scooter to work everyday, it would still not be enough to ride a bike.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

At $20/gal our transit system would shut down. Citites and towns wouldn't be able to run their police forces or fire depts, no more school buses either. We'd be scr**ed pretty bad at $20/gal. But at $15 we're good to go :lol:
EZPZ #65
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

If gas is 20 dollars a gallon, I better be paid 50 dollars an hour. Next you'll start seeing mean scooterist drill big scooter gas tanks and stealing their gas. Just like cars drilling SUV tanks for gas.
luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

This $20/gal idea is making me laugh. I get pictures of a Mad Max World. Who needs nuclear fallout for that, all we need is a oil crisis. This really spells out how the US needs to end this oil dependence on the middle east.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Drill alaska, theres way more oil than in saudi arabia, the elk and animals can go find a new home. Saving the animals is important, but saving your wallet is 20x more.

Or let's all be like Al gore and his wonderful example he sets, lets start walking, riding our bikes, and taking public transportation to work. Then on the weekends, let's fly private jets cross country to eat dinner, then cross country again to go shopping in new york city, think of all the thousands of pounds of pollution he sets out, what fine example of saving the environment!

But al says "Do as I say, not as I do, I'm rich, you're not"
luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

I wholeheartedly agree. There are ways to protect the wildlife and drill. Of course it won't be perfect, but why not use the resources natural to our country.

Even if all the oil we could use came from Alaska, I like how people think about finding more effeceint ways of transportation.
andgosun

Post by andgosun »

Having an interest in scooters and making a living in quality checking of wiring harnesses for heavy jets, i looked into the cost to fill up a Boeing 777 Airliner just ONCE @ 3.50 per Gallon - - - - $175,000 (300 seats). At $15 or $20 a gallon 99.9% of all air travel will have ceased. @ $20 a gallon a jet fill up would be $1,000,000 (for less than 1 day of operation) Seat cost for travel would be $3,400 for fuel cost not counting actual cost of operation. Your trip to the supermarket will have increased by 8 times what you pay now for the transportation cost and growing cost would increase by another 8 to 10 times what it is now. 99% of all groceries are delivered by truck, and @ $20 gas, using present fuel ratios Diesel will be about $25 a gallon ........ lets not think about $100 per pound for steak, $12 per dozen eggs and $18 for a box of breakfast cereal.
Legend

Post by Legend »

jfrost2 wrote:Drill alaska, theres way more oil than in saudi arabia, the elk and animals can go find a new home. Saving the animals is important, but saving your wallet is 20x more.

Or let's all be like Al gore and his wonderful example he sets, lets start walking, riding our bikes, and taking public transportation to work. Then on the weekends, let's fly private jets cross country to eat dinner, then cross country again to go shopping in new york city, think of all the thousands of pounds of pollution he sets out, what fine example of saving the environment!

This just shows how uneducated you really are on this subject. First off, where are the animals going to go? 2nd, there is approx a six year supply in Alaska, what happens after we save a few dollars on gas for 6 years? Then we have, not only displaced and killed hundreds of thousands of animals, but we also are back in the same boat price wise.
For those who do not know, the price of fuel is not ness. related to how much oil is available but to how much we can refine and produce compared to the typical usage. Drilling in alaska WILL NOT increase our refining production.
There is only so much oil available on the planet and once it is gone, it is gone. The solution is going to have to come from somewhere else. Possibly different ways to get to and from work and new energy methods. I am not sure solar or wind energy is the answer butit is a step in the right direction.
Comments like your shows how really uneducated and stupid people can be.
"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it. "
Steve Irwin
pleasefeedthedog

Post by pleasefeedthedog »

We are all just chatting here. Fear and frustration can make us say things that are just the easy way out. Having said that. :evil: I'm of the opinion that we will have to decide some day what to do, it is after all, a finite planet. I can't imagine anyone can argue that point. Okay, prove me wrong.
:wink:
sotied

Post by sotied »

pleasefeedthedog wrote:We are all just chatting here. Fear and frustration can make us say things that are just the easy way out. Having said that. :evil: I'm of the opinion that we will have to decide some day what to do, it is after all, a finite planet. I can't imagine anyone can argue that point. Okay, prove me wrong.
:wink:
We're not just chatting. It's real. http://www.thingstoworryabout.com

And for me to give up my scoot in favor of a bicycle gas would have to be $40 a gallon. I'd gladly pay up to $39 a gallon because when you think of it, I'm getting tons of miles for that gallon.

On a bike, I still will have issues carrying stuff (carried 40lbs of ice home for a party today on the scoot - see http://bowlofcheese.tumblr.com for photo - and I know if properly trained I could carry goats and other livestock just as easily.

By the way, it was COOOOOL with that bag of ice in my lower back for three miles home.
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
pleasefeedthedog

Post by pleasefeedthedog »

sotied wrote: We're not just chatting.
Yes its real, but I'm sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with you here on the chatting part.

I'm posting the serenity prayer because everytime I see myself getting angry I hope to remember it:

http://www.cptryon.org/prayer/special/serenity.html

Sheesh, and I'm on your side of the argument :cry:
jsprandel

Post by jsprandel »

I'm glad I live only a block from a metro station - I gas-up my car about once every month and a half and the scooter about every other week (guess which I'll be using most often :wink: ).

In fact, today, I'm expanding my scootering boundaries - I drove into Washington DC to research the traffic patterns.....

As for the price of gas, I think the law of supply and demand will kick in. As prices go up, drivers will find more economical ways to get around (sell the SUVs and buy more economical vehicles, public transportation, alternative fueled vehicles, walking, biking, working from home if available, staying closer to home etc) and the increasing demand for altenative energy will encourage innovation in alternative fuel and energy conservation products. My gut feeling is that the demand curve will level off around the $8/gallon mark. What do you think?
UXO

Post by UXO »

Now this is my kinda thread, being the unexploded ordinance man.

I'm old enough to remember waiting in lines during the 70's and all that odd even nonsense. I'm glad I'm retired now and don't need to commute. Unfortunately, it does hit other items I still need. Ahhh, to be human. The master species and all . . .

I've included some political cartoons. I hope this doesn't set off more explosions.

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0 ... xcuses.jpg

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0 ... derweb.jpg

UXO

If you heard me, its to late.
luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

Its funny how topics become so political so quick.

There is no telling where gas will level off. In the 70's when the supply shortages were manipulated, the US controlled the global demand and the prices sunk after supply came back.

Now the US makes up like 40% of the market and is less likely to control the price. It truly is a global market now and somewhat out of the hands of US drivers. With that said a drastic demand shift would lower prices, but I do not see that happening.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Legend wrote:
jfrost2 wrote:Drill alaska, theres way more oil than in saudi arabia, the elk and animals can go find a new home. Saving the animals is important, but saving your wallet is 20x more.

This just shows how uneducated you really are on this subject. First off, where are the animals going to go? 2nd, there is approx a six year supply in Alaska, what happens after we save a few dollars on gas for 6 years? Then we have, not only displaced and killed hundreds of thousands of animals, but we also are back in the same boat price wise.
For those who do not know, the price of fuel is not ness. related to how much oil is available but to how much we can refine and produce compared to the typical usage. Drilling in alaska WILL NOT increase our refining production.
There is only so much oil available on the planet and once it is gone, it is gone. The solution is going to have to come from somewhere else. Possibly different ways to get to and from work and new energy methods. I am not sure solar or wind energy is the answer butit is a step in the right direction.
Comments like your shows how really uneducated and stupid people can be.
You may not agree with me, but you have no right to call me stupid and uneducated.

This is a public forum, and is no place for an argument to take place, please go somewhere else and rant about this subject as it is not appreciated.

Also, many things you yourself said arent correct either, I wouldnt go around speaking like you're right, and all are wrong :wink:

EDIT: Oh hey, look at subaru, they built a car plant in the middle of a forest, but they didnt kill off all the animals, they have specific areas on plant for the creatures to stay and live, they live in harmony. No need to exaggerate past reality.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

This statement hurts my feelings... :(

Anyways, I already ride my bike to work when the weather is decent. I purposefully chose a job near home just for that reason. I realize not everyone can do that, but BICYCLES RULE!!!

If it's $20 per gallon, I'd just cut down on my joy-riding!

$4/gal in a Hummer is the same as $20/gal in a Buddy anyways.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Krusty makes a good point of 4 dollars in a hummer being 20 dollars in a buddy.

But then again, what if it's 20 in a hummer and 20 on a buddy, the buddy still wins, but our wallets start to hurt. But the hummer hurts worse. Not sure how many gallons a hummer can hold, but say a SUV that takes 16 gallons, to fill it up it cost 320 dollars. Filling the scoot cost around 20-23 dollars if was was 20+ a gallon.
luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

Name calling on issues like this is ridiculous. If someone has a polar opposite view of someone else on an issue, all name calling will do is make them feel better about themselves and flame more discussion. Then I can sit back and laugh.

Its entertaining, but not worth getting all spun up about.
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

:idea: I think its time I go for a ride on my bicycle. I won't bother extolling the benefits to you all.

Kaz
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

If I'm uneducated, that's a compliment compared to the high class of people doing all the flaming up there. I guess being smart means being rude, I'd much rather be uneducated then.