Thank Goodness for Scooters!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

lojical1

Thank Goodness for Scooters!

Post by lojical1 »

A Brief Mention

$140 bucks gone in 10 days. That really womps. We're in the midst of car shopping, and I really don't look forward to filling up :(
Does anyone have any input on getting a VW that takes diesel? The cost is significantly higher than regular gas, but you still get 30-40 mpg. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
"I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive."
-Spike Spiegel

If ur not scared u aint drivin' fast enough .
luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

I know a few people with Diesel VW's and they love it. There are lots of choices for cars in that range that are not diesel as well. Civics, Corrolla's, etc all get mid 30's on average mpg.

I didn't buy my scooter because of the gas crunch, I just wanted a toy. I drive an accord to work (My wife drives a civic). Unfortunately, kids cause people to need bigger vehicles. We have a mini-van that we take on trips and around town as a third vehicle (It gets about 20 mpg). It is a God Send when we need it.

But these super Big SUV's were never needed, People keeping up with the Jones' are now suffering. Large Vehicles will always have a niche, but they will be being built on smaller chassis. I hope to see more two wheelers on the road selfishly to keep me safer when I am riding.
jmsmith802

Post by jmsmith802 »

Well, if you are going to do a lot of city driving, nothing beats a hybrid, the toyota prius gets around 50mpg city and still gets 45 on the highway. The only bad thing is that you will need to replace the batteries in it in like 5 years, which will be a few thousand dollars, but with the price of gas now im sure its less than what it would have cost you for a few years of gas. And the honda civic gets good gas mileage too, about 25 city, and 35 highway. Ive heard that there is a waiting list on the prius because of such a high demand :shock:
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Get a 2003 corrola or camry. Those things get high mpg.

My dad's camry is EPA rated for 31mpg highway, he got 38mpg highway the other day.

A corrolla is rated 40mpg highway for the last model, depending on how you drive, you can get 43-45mpg highway. On unleaded!
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

With kids in the mix... Nissan Sentra, Toyota Matrix aren't bad choices. Even a 4cyl Accord, Camry, Altima are good for 30mpg on the highway and 24mpg city (avg should be high 20s for those three. A Sentra or Matrix should land you in the $16k ballpark while the next level up is about $20k. A used Mazda 6i (4cyl) can be found fairly inexpensive too and they're pretty good cars. Used 4cyl Mitsubishi Galants are inexpensive too. All those cars have slightly different maintainence requirements but offer fairly good value for whats currently on the market. A little on the generic side but a used Hyundai Sonota (newer body style) isn't bad either. PM me if you have any specific questions, I deal with this 60hrs a week at work... I doubt there's a question you could ask me I haven't had to answer before and I'm always willing to help out a fellow scooterist. :)
EZPZ #65
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Used corolla, 13-14k out the door, then theres the chevy aveo, kia spectra, all those tiny cars.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Friends don't let friends drive Aveos or Spectras... And why would I pay $13k for a used Corolla when a new one is $2k more with better interest rates available on new vs used? Yes they are good cars, but the old body Corolla isn't the best choice if you NEED a backseat for kids to go in, the new body is larger.
EZPZ #65
luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

It depends on how may kids....

I have a civic and an accord and if room is important, an accord might be better. With 4 cyl it gets good gas mileage, is roomier and rides better. I do like the Civic's though.

This is not brand flame bate either, the Toyota equivalents are good cars as well. The good thing about these cars is you could buy one 6-8 years old with 100k+ miles on it and still get a good car well under $10,000.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Or get a scion XB, it's like a whole new demension when you step into it. We have a 2005 yellow series 2.0 XB we got used for 13k, the thing gets 35mpg average of city/highway driving.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I have one of the VW TDI diesels. You're talking 40 to 50 mpg with these critters. Mine's the new style Jetta so also plenty of room and a good ride. VW is redesigning their diesel to meet California standards and the first demos are showing up at the dealers this month. They are supposed to be available for delivery to customers in August.

One thing to know about diesels vs. gas hybrids. The hybrids do best in town and the diesels do their best on the highway so your best choice depends on the mix of driving you do. Diesels also have more torque than comparable gassers so they are quick. I luv the heck out of mine.
luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

I know two people who own Diesel Jetta's and love them to death. The pick up and gas mileage is the reason. One of them told me he drove like 600 miles on a tank one time and that was his record.

Unbelievable.
Tenchi

Post by Tenchi »

I rented a 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5, it drove really well, good pickup getting on the highway and the sucker got 31 mpg on the highway at *almost* lega speeds. Nice big car, felt really safe...but hated the push-button starter. Kept worrying where the heck I put the keys when I got out!
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

nissanman wrote:With kids in the mix... Nissan Sentra, Toyota Matrix aren't bad choices.
Even better, look for a pontiac vibe. Exact same car as the matrix but because it has a Pontiac logo on the front can be a couple grand cheaper.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Honda Fit...the Fit is Go!

First new car I've ever owned and I love it (I've owned old VWs and Volvos--I mean 'old', but there's nothing like Honda reliability). It has so much room inside and when I was doing all highway driving I was getting 38mpg consistently. Now I have a new job (5 miles from home v. 50 miles form home) so I scoot everyday.

I believe the Civic gets better gas mileage but I wanted all the room in the Fit (I unfortunately live at the Home Depot and Lowes as my house was a wreck when I bought and continues to be).

There was just an article in the paper today about diesel cars and how with the cost of diesel, they're much more expensive to operate. "• Not such a great buy: diesels. This unprecedented spike in diesel prices has caught everyone by surprise, so even a Volkswagen diesel, which two years ago would have been near the top of this list, is less attractive than it once was." from: http://www.projo.com/projocars/content/ ... c0485.html
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

siobhan wrote:Honda Fit...the Fit is Go!

First new car I've ever owned and I love it. It has so much room inside and when I was doing all highway driving I was getting 38mpg consistently. Now I have a new job (5 miles from home v. 50 miles form home) so I scoot everyday.

I believe the Civic gets better gas mileage but I wanted all the room in the Fit (I unfortunately live at the Home Depot and Lowes as my house was a wreck when I bought and continues to be).

There was just an article in the paper today about diesel cars and how with the cost of diesel, they're much more expensive to operate. "• Not such a great buy: diesels. This unprecedented spike in diesel prices has caught everyone by surprise, so even a Volkswagen diesel, which two years ago would have been near the top of this list, is less attractive than it once was." from: http://www.projo.com/projocars/content/ ... c0485.html
Make it run off biodisel, make it yourself on a saturday afternoon for 25 cents a gallon. It cost around 2 or 3k to get the materials and convert a disel engine. But once that is done, all your "gas" will be taken from mcdonalds and all those fast food places, just ask for their oil they are tossing out.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

siobhan wrote:
This fellow just plain has his facts wrong. Right here, right now - diesel costs 15% more than regular unleaded. My VW TDI gets about 35% better fuel mileage than the small 4 cylinder gasser that it replaced. I paid a bit over a $1000 extra for a diesel engine versus the comparable gasser. The current resale value is several thousand higher than the comparable gasser. Tell me again how I'm not coming out ahead?
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Or get a scion XB, it's like a whole new demension when you step into it. We have a 2005 yellow series 2.0 XB we got used for 13k, the thing gets 35mpg average of city/highway driving.
That's the car I want. I don't care for the new ones. But I cannot afford a new (or used) car right now. So I'm on the scoot (and couldn't be happier!). :wink:
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

You think $140 in 10 days is bad? Try $300 in 10 days. But then again, I build and regularly drive hotrods as my cars, so I get some return on the gas usage. ;)
justscooten

Post by justscooten »

with the high price of diesel fuel even that the vw get 40 - 50 mpg its like haveing a gas car that get 30-35 mpg my wife as a 08 civic lx its been getting about 35-38 mpg and is really kind of fun to drive and id thought id never own a forigen car. :shock: so right know id get the honda killer build quality not bad in power and it was around 21,000 so not to spendy
lojical1

Post by lojical1 »

nissanman wrote:Friends don't let friends drive Aveos or Spectras...
HAHAHA. Thanks nissanman. I know someone who has a spectra5 for sale for about 6 grand. I was really interested because its in my budget and the same body style as the car I really want at the moment but can't afford (a mazda3 wagon). The only kids I have to tote around are the ones I work with and occasionally have to transport. Gas mileage is the utmost importance (well, at least a close second to price). I'm just getting started so something under 10 grand is pretty much the budget. I will still be using my scooter mainly on the days I don't have to chauffeur, which hopefully won't be often. And nissanman, if you have that wagon for 10 grand I will gladly take it off your hands :D
Thanks everyone for the great input; keep it coming. Wish me luck on the hunt and please keep me informed.
"I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive."
-Spike Spiegel

If ur not scared u aint drivin' fast enough .
Syd

Post by Syd »

'64 or '65 GMC pickup with the 305 V-6. Gas mileage sucks, but you get classic styling and you could pull your house closer to work with it!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
DrDiff

Post by DrDiff »

jmsmith802 wrote:Well, if you are going to do a lot of city driving, nothing beats a hybrid, the toyota prius gets around 50mpg city and still gets 45 on the highway. The only bad thing is that you will need to replace the batteries in it in like 5 years, which will be a few thousand dollars, but with the price of gas now im sure its less than what it would have cost you for a few years of gas. And the honda civic gets good gas mileage too, about 25 city, and 35 highway. Ive heard that there is a waiting list on the prius because of such a high demand :shock:
Not necessarily so. My dad owns a 2003 Civic Hybrid and has nearly 100,000 miles on his hybrid. He inquired about replacing the batteries, and the honda dealer said that it has lifetime batteries.
James Dean Cory