For those of you on the fence . . .

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

EP_scoot

For those of you on the fence . . .

Post by EP_scoot »

This is from our local scooter shop website:
We have never had much trouble supplying our customers with Buddy scooters in the past.
That has changed this year, with the increased demand running us out of all Buddy 125 and 150 models and leaving our inventory of Buddy 50s to a limited color selection.
Buddy availability will remain limited for the next few weeks. Get your preorders in soon for the next batch.
I can attest that every time I am there a scooter is walking out the door.
If you are thinking about it, just get one while you can or be ready to wait for the next batch later this summer. I would think a lot of those will be spoken for with deposits.

FYI
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

That may be the case for Genuine, but my local Vespa dealer has lots of those and the Piaggo models. Could be the cost keeping those in Stock.
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

Apparently Yamaha and Genuine are both having a hard time filling Vino/Buddy orders right now.
Of course Vespa's aren't flying out the door. What's the cheapest one? $4,000???
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

7eregrine wrote:Apparently Yamaha and Genuine are both having a hard time filling Vino/Buddy orders right now.
Of course Vespa's aren't flying out the door. What's the cheapest one? $4,000???

With Vespas you're paying for the name and their heritage really. Don't get me wrong, they're nice bikes but I don't think they're $1000's nicer then a Genuine.

DJE
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
pleasefeedthedog

Post by pleasefeedthedog »

I know, I'd miss the underseat storage and automatic, not to mention the extra 100lbs I'd have to move around.

http://powersports.honda.com/motorcycle ... d=CMX250C8
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

I am sure Vespa, Piaggio, etc will reap some of the benefits. There are always those that walk in to get a scooter and by golly, they are walking out with a scooter, even if they end up paying $1500 more than they originally had intended.

My scooter shop has plenty of Vespa, Kymko left. But I am sure that they will move them out as all the Buddy's 125-150 are already gone.

It is good to be in the scooter industry now . . . hopefully it makes up for all those lean years they had. They deserve it for sticking around.

D.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

There are those who want instant scooting action, so they buy a vespa or whatever brand and model is left in the dealer rather than waiting a few more weeks for a buddy. But they gotta remember, theres tax, prep, first service, and cost of ownership! :wink:
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

EP_scoot....is that at Scooterville?
pleasefeedthedog

Post by pleasefeedthedog »

jfrost2 wrote:But they gotta remember, theres tax, prep, first service, and cost of ownership! :wink:
That's a good point. I'd be interested to know of anyone who has done comparisons on ownership costs, might there be such a link?
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

UXO

Post by UXO »

I think pleasedontfeedthedog was asking for a comparison between different machines. I think this there is a valid point to be made especially for people who, for whatever reason will be paying for their maintenance rather than wrenching it themselves.

UXO

If you heard me its to late.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

yeap, that quote was from the 'Ville, although with how crazy it gets on the weekends we should change the name to Scooterzooville :D

D.
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

Guess I better call now for an oil change that's due around 4500-5000 miles and I"'m at 4222....not quite a year old yet.
BuddyLove

Post by BuddyLove »

Scooterville shop is about a week out depending on what service you need. Oil change shouldnt be too bad, but call in and get put on the calendar.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Vespas are actually selling quite well. Their stocks aren't as low because Piaggio USA has traditionally over-ordered scoots from Italy.

Vespas pretty much sell themselves and for many people, the question is just "which Vespa?" When most people think "scooter," a Vespa is what they're thinking of. This is driving a lot of people to the Vespa dealers, many of whom aren't aware of any alternatives (especially if they go to a boutique where no other models are sold).

I spent several hours today at NoHo Scooters, my local Genuine/Kymco/Sym dealer. NoHo's closed on Mondays, but a few of us were there to hang out with Alix from PEACE Scooter and do a news story with a local tv station. Though the shop was closed, people saw the lights on and gate open and there were customers dropping in all day while we were there. Most of them asked about Vespas. Many had already been to the Vespa dealership.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

BuddyLove,
Thanks, I'll call tomorrow.