Riding Gear Sites?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

luckyleighton

Riding Gear Sites?

Post by luckyleighton »

Any recommendations on websites for gear? I am looking for riding jackets and boots, but any sites will be appreciated. I need something else to spend money on. :twisted:
evilscooterkitty

Post by evilscooterkitty »

Try: www.newenough.com I've gotten a lot of riding gear there and have been very happy with the prices and service.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

I was looking for places to shop...and it looks like I may have gotten it.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

luckyleighton wrote:I was looking for places to shop...and it looks like I may have gotten it.
Ha, I meant what're you shopping for? There are some other sites which specialize in certain things... Corazzo for jackets, gloves and bags, Brazimoto for gloves...
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

Protective jackets and Boots right now...I would like some advice as well if someone has any. Things like are gloves needed for scootering, what types of jackets and boots are preferred. if anyone has an opinion (which is usually not hard to find).
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

luckyleighton wrote:Protective jackets and Boots right now...I would like some advice as well if someone has any. Things like are gloves needed for scootering, what types of jackets and boots are preferred. if anyone has an opinion (which is usually not hard to find).
Well. like you say, everyone has their opinions and their favorites You raise one point though that is not a matter of personal preference. Gloves sure as heck are needed for scootering. Your hands will more comfortable on the grips and warm in a range of weather conditions. More important though, what do you fall on if you spill your scoot - usually your hands. See one picture of a person who's hands were ripped up in a scooter or motorcycle spill and you won't ask that question again. Get a good pair of gloves - more likely at least two pair for colder and warmer weather.
mandyscoots

Post by mandyscoots »

www.leatherup.com

good prices
luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

I appreciate the advice...I am in the deep south so I will not see weather too much less than freezing (and that will only be a few weeks a year).

Looking over things there is a wide variety in price on each item, how important is quality vs price? I know that the more expensive stuff is better, but is it one of those things where it is only a little better. Or is it one of those things where you would be dumb to buy the cheaper stuff because it would not offer the protection you want?
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

luckyleighton wrote:I appreciate the advice...I am in the deep south so I will not see weather too much less than freezing (and that will only be a few weeks a year).

Looking over things there is a wide variety in price on each item, how important is quality vs price? I know that the more expensive stuff is better, but is it one of those things where it is only a little better. Or is it one of those things where you would be dumb to buy the cheaper stuff because it would not offer the protection you want?
I'd spend most of your time on Newenough.com - their reviews are usually really good- they have comments from the company for each item giving you additional detail beyond the marketing copy.

More expensive is not always better- especially there. They sell year old models of gear so they have some pretty great discounts. Yes, if you see something just ridiculously low priced you might be wary of it, but there's lots of great gear to be found at lower prices.

I say to spend a lot of time on newenough.com because most of the brands (if not all) that they carry make pretty good gear. Once you find some things you like, do a search for the brand here (search button is up at the top right of the screen) and see what opinions there are for it.
addictionriot

Post by addictionriot »

My co-worker (the cool one) gave me this site http://www.jafrum.com/ I havent had a chance to really look through it. He ordered a jacket, helmet, and gloves and they came in about 3 days. The only problem he had was with the gloves, the zipper broke so he returned them (I think)
kilted texan

Post by kilted texan »

Vanson Leathers

If it is good enough for the race track it is good enough for street. I really like the warranty with their products. Also, I was surprised to see that they do alterations on their products when we get bigger or get healthy & lose some weight.
I brew... therefore I am.

Smoked Porter - Drinking
Peach Smoked Brown Ale - Drinking
Maibock - Lagering
British Mild - Carbonating
Oatmeal Stout - Aging in Whiskey barrel 3 weeks left
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

addictionriot wrote:My co-worker (the cool one) gave me this site http://www.jafrum.com/ I havent had a chance to really look through it. He ordered a jacket, helmet, and gloves and they came in about 3 days. The only problem he had was with the gloves, the zipper broke so he returned them (I think)
Everything from Jafrum is pretty much generic. Their non-branded helmets are DOT, but otherwise not great quality. I have one, bought from them on eBay, which never fit but which I didn't return (suppose I could always use it for a passenger or guest). I was also considering using it to test a custom paint job. I also got some gloves from them. They're leather... of some sort. I've seen the same pair sold online as buffalo leather (?!). The fit's rather odd, the quality mediocre and the materials, well... it could be rat leather by the look and feel of it.

I say it's not worth it. With a little legwork, you can find much better name-brand stuff for as little money (maybe not the helmets, but definitely the rest). I just got a sweet pair of leather Belstaff gloves for $20 as a closeout... They were originally around $70. (Like I need a fourth pair of gloves...)