turning

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

baptisto

turning

Post by baptisto »

it seems when i make a sharp turn im bottoming out on something its like a !ka jink! it also happens more frequently when im riding some one on the back any on else have this
all malfunction aside ,,i feel im a better person
GatsbyGirl

Post by GatsbyGirl »

How far are you leaning? Is it happening on left turns, right turns, or both? You might be hitting your kickstand.
ebcspace

bottoming out/scraping

Post by ebcspace »

i made a fairly sharp turn with my wife on the back, and we scraped...
looked around after parking, trying to figure out what/where,
couldn't find any evidence, but i suspect it was the kickstand...

we must have taken a chunk out of the pavement, rather than vice-versa.
scoot on!
baptisto

Post by baptisto »

its uasually left but it will happen to both im wondering if its my over cockyness with turns but come on its hard to slow down to make turns and not lean
all malfunction aside ,,i feel im a better person
castleton

Post by castleton »

What's your tire pressure? I increase mine for 2 people.
--Pam

"You're not the boss of me, now."
ebcspace

tire pressure

Post by ebcspace »

What's your tire pressure? I increase mine for 2 people.
yeah, i do too... converted from the engrish metric pressure in the manual, i believe it converted to something like 35-36 psi in the rear, and 30-31 psi in the front, using the 'ol mac calculator. :D
scoot on!
vitaminC

Re: turning

Post by vitaminC »

baptisto wrote:it seems when i make a sharp turn im bottoming out on something its like a !ka jink! it also happens more frequently when im riding some one on the back any on else have this
When you turn, are you leaning with your body or just the bike? If you physically lean into the turn, then the bike will not require the same degree of lean. Think about motorcycle riders "hanging off," and it is a similar idea, though you probably don't want to do that with your Buddy!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

As I've mentioned before in other threads, it's very easy to over-lean the Buddy and hit metal. Hitting the kickstand can be calamitous; stick it too hard and your Buddy will pivot and go out of control.

If you're doing this frequently you're essentially taking turns too fast and/or leaning too hard. You shouldn't have to lean that much.

It is your cockiness with turns, yup. I don't know how long you've been riding, but it's been noted elsewhere that it's easy to become overconfident on the Buddy. I've also heard a lot of experienced riders say that after some time they realized they got cocky and were taking turns too fast or hard.

Take it slow and stick to the basics, looking through the turn. It's much easier and safer to accelerate in a turn than brake, so brake or slow down before going into the turn. Then, if you need to, you can give it a little throttle at the top of the curve, pushing you through the turn. For a more controlled sharp turn, you can keep your body upright and tilt the scoot beneath you. This allows you to make minute adjustments to the lean angle.

IMHO these maneuvers should be mastered before going out with a passenger. It's not the kind of thing you want to screw up with someone on the back.
Keys

Post by Keys »

I take turns fast. Sometimes VERY fast. My fellow Scarabs can attest to that. I have never dragged anything on my Buddy. I had a friend chasing me today on his Stella and he couldn't keep up with me in the corners because the Buddy could lean farther than his Stella. That being said, however, if there is ANY irregularity in the pavement while you are attempting to turn (and particularly with a passenger) the centerstand mount will drag. I bet if you get down on your hands and knees and look, you'll see where there are scrape marks on the bottom of the the mount.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"