Comments on "Helmet Basics & Buying"

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Comments on "Helmet Basics & Buying"

Post by ericalm »

This thread is for comments and response to the MB Guide "Helmet Basics & Buying".

Enjoy!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Alright, is anyone aware of a company that sells especially LARGE sizes of helmets? I am currently wearing a "nitro touring" 3/4 face helmet,
sized XXXX, that's right 4X!. (no I'm not deformed, I just need someplace large to keep all these brains.) I'm waiting for a 5X from my local dealer because that 4X is a little too snug. I know some helmets just run on the large side. Does anyone have any suggestions :lol:

Help a big headed scooter brother out
Howard
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

I have the biggest head I have ever seen and squeeze it into an XL. You sir are an inspiration. :lol:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

What size is your head? I'm a 7 5/8—too big for many helmets. Can't buy hats off the rack. It's a pain in the ass.

I currently wear a XXL Vega Summit II. It's a modular with the largest interior space of any on the market. I couldn't even shut some of the helmets that I tried on.

Check out this guide to extra (extra extra) large helmets:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle- ... elmets.htm
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

ericalm wrote:I currently wear a XXL Vega Summit II. It's a modular with the largest interior space of any on the market.
That thing is bigger than some apartments I've had!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Thanks for the help with very large helmets. I want to buy locally, but it looks like I will be forced to buy over the net.
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

Eric this is just great info and thanks for taking the time to post it.

I wish this stuff had been there when I was shopping and panicking and hurrying. Our local flavors had no scooter stuff and I wanted to die rather than wear female icon shtuff. Thankfully, research online led me to Corazzo for my jacket.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Quick comment on "never buy a used helmet" in the guide, which is besides the fact that you don't know if the helmet has been dropped, helmets also have an age limit. Usually dealers say about 5 year life span. After that the materials lose some of their impact absorbing qualities, simply due to age, and weather/ sun exposure. This also means that you should replace a helmet every so many years. I gave up a really beautiful Arai helmet based on this info. I had it since I was a teenager, which means it was about 20 years old when I started riding on my own. I threw it away rather than let anyone try to use it.