Waiting on my new buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

benawabe896

Waiting on my new buddy

Post by benawabe896 »

Hi All,

What a nice forum you all have here. So I went down to the vespa dealership this morning and put a deposit down on a new international Pamplona. I'm really too excited to contain myself. Now this is my first order from Genuine, does anyone know the type of wait I will be seeing? The dealer mentioned that it should be around two weeks... Does that sound about right? Any replies are appreciated.
addictionriot

Post by addictionriot »

Congrats on the new scoot :) It really varies on the times of shipments. For my first buddy I had to wait almost 2 and half months. But that was due to the dealership becoming an authorized dealer later than everyone else.

I'm not sure how long its going to take for the next buddy we just put on order..

Either way it will give you a chance to gear up and dream :)
benawabe896

Post by benawabe896 »

....and obsessively peruse anything buddy related :)
luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

I bought mine last week.....I have to wait until late July to get it and I am crazily excited (not dealer's fault just circumstances). I can't contain myself. I bought my helmet and some gloves today.
theasg

Post by theasg »

I put a deposit down on my Pamplona earlier this week. Should be getting it by the end of the month. The waiting is horrible.
mn355

Post by mn355 »

I put money down on an Italia 150 on 5/29. I was originally told two weeks, but it has been pushed back. I get the impression that the timing of the shipments are just not really reliable right now.

I'm pretty bummed, but what can you do? Hope it shows up for you on time.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

You must have shopped at metro scooter, great place! I bought my bike from them too several months ago.

Seems like one day I go in they have a showroom full of bikes, packed. Next day I go in, they're sold out of every bike and dead busy. With genuine being out of scooters now, and dealers selling them like crazy, there's going to be a slow down in shipments because there is more demand than there is supply.
bunny

Post by bunny »

I paid for my Italia yesterday and was told it would be end of the month, but no later than early mid-July. So I figure before Bastille Day.

Now i'm trying to figure out if I want the top case or just the rack.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

You'll need the rack anyways to actually hold the top case, so in the end, you get both :lol:
benawabe896

Post by benawabe896 »

Thanks for all of the great replies. I actually put the deposit down at a great vespa place in oceanside california called.... vespa of oceanside. I think if I could be riding by mid-July I'll be pretty stoked.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

From what I understand, the waits for scooters depend on a couple things—when they were ordered, and how new your dealer is. I know the Genuine is not signing any more new dealers while it tries to fill demand. And demand is INSANE.
bunny wrote:I paid for my Italia yesterday and was told it would be end of the month, but no later than early mid-July. So I figure before Bastille Day.

Now i'm trying to figure out if I want the top case or just the rack.
Another DFW member! Welcome! I spent most of my college years (and a few afterwards) working at Half Price Books in Bedford. It's been 10 years since I've been there and I bet I still know some of the people working there.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

benawabe896 wrote:I actually put the deposit down at a great vespa place in oceanside california called.... vespa of oceanside.
Wow—how long have they been selling Genuines? I thought they only had Piaggios products for sale (Vespa, Moto Guzzi, Aprilia). I'm always curious about how these products sell when displayed side-by-side.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Just remember that a "Genuine 2 weeks" can be like the last 2minutes of an NBA game!

Here's hoping it comes in quick foryou!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Blackie

Post by Blackie »

I ordered a black Buddy 125 in mid May. My dealer has been selling Buddies since the beginning. We were hopeful that it would come in with the June shipment, but did not. Now we are looking at the July shipment, which will make it late July. Keepin' my fingers crossed...at least I have my wife's new Buddy 125 (the blue one) to ride in the interim.
MalindaKay

tis twenty years till then

Post by MalindaKay »

I ordered my blue Buddy 125 from Magic City Motor Scooters here in Birmingham on Tuesday, June 10. I'm about the 10th person down on the waiting list, but we think I'm the only person who wants a blue one. Matthew, the owner, said around mid-July. I'm getting the feeling that that's pretty optimistic. He's been a dealer since Mid March. What do you guys think? I am on pins and needles waiting for it!!
Scootalicious.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Yea my cousin and I went to the local Yamaha dealer who recently signed on with Genuine at the beginning of May.My cousin was interested in buying a new Buddy.The dealer( Fort Wayne Yamaha) said it would be mid July before
they would see any Buddy's.He added to this saying " and that's being optimistic" What a disappointment. This makes me curious as to how long it takes a barge from the time it leaves port to get to the US ports.

Tim
Aerosmith, None Other.
bunny

Post by bunny »

ericalm wrote:Another DFW member! Welcome! I spent most of my college years (and a few afterwards) working at Half Price Books in Bedford. It's been 10 years since I've been there and I bet I still know some of the people working there.
OMG! How awesome! I shop there all the time. Don't know any of the employees, but they know me as that chick who wanders around looking at everything and still ends up buying the same certain authors as usual. I tihnk they might celebrate if I ever buy someone different.

schroeder

Post by schroeder »

I was told by Phil Waters in Cleveland that a shipment of Buddies is being held up by Homeland Security. He has no idea how long before they are released to Genuine Scooter co. Not good!!!!!!!!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

schroeder wrote:I was told by Phil Waters in Cleveland that a shipment of Buddies is being held up by Homeland Security. He has no idea how long before they are released to Genuine Scooter co. Not good!!!!!!!!
Must be the new fusion reactor propulsion system.
krly82

Post by krly82 »

My husband put the money down on my Buddy last Wednesday. They said that it will be in the week of the 23rd! I'm so excited. I get home from work and all I do is surf around the internet for Buddy-related stuff! I'm also taking a motorcycle safety course next weekend. Is anyone else taking one?
bunny

Post by bunny »

I will be sitting on a scooter learning to ride July 4th weekend. If my Italia comes in time, Iwill be learning on my own scooter; if not, I will be learning on a 50cc...

I'm kinda getting more and more excited!

Daisyscoot

Post by Daisyscoot »

krly82 wrote:My husband put the money down on my Buddy last Wednesday. They said that it will be in the week of the 23rd! I'm so excited. I get home from work and all I do is surf around the internet for Buddy-related stuff! I'm also taking a motorcycle safety course next weekend. Is anyone else taking one?
Be VERY glad that TN has so many MC saftey classes to choose from, they have TONS and make more room if they need it. My husband and I were considering going down there and taking the one in Nashville, because ALL the KY ones are filled up through Aug. I wish the local ones were as accomodating, but I guess we'll just have to wait until Aug.

Good Luck on the class!
Can't wait to go to Bike night on my scoot scoot
krly82

Post by krly82 »

i really didn't even want to take the class, but my husband insisted. he registered me today and the class is next weekend, so it was pretty easy to get in to. it's going to be three days long, so i'm assuming they are pretty thorough. it's perfect timing. my buddy will be coming in the week of the 23rd, i take the class at the end of the week, hopefully get my license on the monday after the class, and ride on tuesday!!! SO EXCITED!! :shock:
Perkussion

Post by Perkussion »

Wow, my timing must've been just right.
I called Pensacola Motorsports and asked if the had a B125.
They said yes, we have one in blue and one green Stella.
Less than 48 hours later I went there & they were both gone.

They said they can't get enough of them.
I asked if I could put a down payment on an Orange one.
They said sure but they couldn't promise that color would be on the next truck.
I said ok at least my order is in and it'll get here eventually.

About 9 days later they called and left a message saying that a "beautiful orange Buddy 125
with a windscreen and black rear rack was here waiting to be picked up".
"The black rack looks great against the orange paint!" he added.

I loved that message. It made it seem so special.

Like I said, right place, right time & the color I wanted was on the truck.

I wish you all good luck in your deliveries!!!
I have 348 miles on mine
and I really, really love it. It's a great machine!
It's worth the weight :wink: (in gold) :D
tunseeker1

Post by tunseeker1 »

Blackie wrote:I ordered a black Buddy 125 in mid May. My dealer has been selling Buddies since the beginning. We were hopeful that it would come in with the June shipment, but did not. Now we are looking at the July shipment, which will make it late July. Keepin' my fingers crossed...at least I have my wife's new Buddy 125 (the blue one) to ride in the interim.
That sounds familiar! I got the wifes blue one and rode it around until I got my black one. Although I picked up hers on friday and mine on saturday morning!! :twisted:

You should have bought both when you got the blue one!
krly82

Post by krly82 »

i'm so mad! i went to our buddy dealership today just to look around. when i walked in, what did i see? a black buddy!! i thought to myself, how lucky am i? just looking around and my buddy came in! and then he told me that that was someone else's black buddy and i still have to wait . . . :cry:
benawabe896

Two weeks eh... Thanks Dave!

Post by benawabe896 »

So Dave over at the Vespa in Oceanside calls me up on Saturday to let me know that not only is my buddy not in, but he doesn't know when it will come in... could be months. Argh.

So I spent the rest of the day contacting folks, and found Renegade Classics in Palm Desert. They had a St. Tropez, Pamplona, and an Italia. However, they closed in 15 minutes (I'm 2 hours away), and they wouldn't be opening until Tuesday. So Monday rolls around, and I had some more questions so I chanced sending them an email. Lucky for me I got a response to my email, but it said that they had just received notice that their trucks carrying their buddy's are delayed by the floods, and it could take another several weeks to get them in. Long story short, the email concluded that they wouldn't be able to sell me one of their available ones, because they needed them for floor models. (Are you kidding me!)

So, I chanced giving them a call. Luckily for me, the same lady I talked to on Saturday answered the phone. After about 5 minutes of back and forth, she wouldn't budge on letting the Pamplona go (it was on display in a mall), but I could get the Italia if I wanted. Interestingly enough, I had been torn between the Pamplona and the Italia since day 1, so I was stoked to get the Italia.

Well, 5 hours of driving later, and the Italia was mine. (Freaking 80 dollars to fill up the tank of the truck after that drive. Will not miss that at all!)

So I've been driving ever since, and I am very, very happy! To all those still waiting, good luck.... the wait is worth it.
benawabe896

Post by benawabe896 »

I almost forgot. My co-worker (graphic designer) took a shot of the scooter (he likes the palm trees in the reflection)and posted it online. You can see it here:

http://esquareda.com/post/40711170/my-b ... its-like-a
fun rider

Post by fun rider »

I put a deposit on a buddy 50 in mid-June and I keep getting the "we will have it in a couple days." It's been frustrating and I want to enjoy our short summer here in Chicago. After doing a lot of reading on this site, I'm now thinking I should get a 125. I wonder what where that will put me on the waiting list!
scootermama

waiting on my new buddy

Post by scootermama »

Fun Rider -

You might want to upgrade to the 125....I had ordered a 50 Buddy, which I had to wait for, and in the week I was waiting decided to upgrade so I could keep up with my hubby. You don't HAVE to go any faster, but you can. The only downside, I am not sure it is a downside, is needing to get the M class license. But, that makes the whole thing more real, and probably safer in the long run.

Anyway, when I called my dealership, they were able to upgrade me and get my scooter that day! I do think we were on the last weekend when inventory was still available and I don't know how long waits are now (we feel lucky that we somehow got in under the wire of availibility), but from what I can tell, at least here in Portland, the 125's are easier to come by, and many people want to upgrade sooner than later from their 50's anyway.
graham310

Post by graham310 »

*been lurking a while. first post*

After dragging my feet for 3 years I finally dropped my money down for an Italia 150 the last weekend of May. I was told my scoot might arrive in "about 2 weeks." In the meantime I shopped for a FF helmet and signed up for the MSF course. At the 3 week point I called the shop to check the status while on a break in the MSF course. I was then told of the "delay in customs" but that the bikes were now in Chicago (6/21) and awaiting distribution. I finished the course, got my endorsement, and a little over 4.5 weeks after biting the bullet (last night) I got the call that my new Italia is in and ready for pickup. I'll be at the shop tomorrow as the doors open.

See ya on the road.
"May I moo-moo dogface to the banana patch?"
ScootingInTheRain
Location: Just North of Seattle, Just South of Mulletsylvania

Post by ScootingInTheRain »

graham310 wrote:May I moo-moo dogface to the banana patch?"
Be obsequious, purple, and clairvoyant...
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

ericalm wrote:
schroeder wrote:I was told by Phil Waters in Cleveland that a shipment of Buddies is being held up by Homeland Security. He has no idea how long before they are released to Genuine Scooter co. Not good!!!!!!!!
Must be the new fusion reactor propulsion system.
They shoulda stuck to the ol' warp core system.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
sikken

August :(

Post by sikken »

hi! glad that i am not the only one waiting their buddy to arrive. i put a deposit down on mine 6/26 and was told the next shipment will not be in until sometime in august. the wait is just killing me!!! :evil:
Sixtis

Post by Sixtis »

Hey benawabe, Im from San Jose, and the dealership here says the wait on internationals is a few months. What dealership did you go to in oceanside that was only a few weeks?
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Sixtis wrote:Hey benawabe, Im from San Jose, and the dealership here says the wait on internationals is a few months. What dealership did you go to in oceanside that was only a few weeks?
52 weeks could be a few. I know, you thought it meant more than 2, maybe less than 4. Never take anything a dealer says too literally. They might have thought 6, maybe 4, hoped for 2 and said a few instead of a couple to give some room for delays. Now there's a boom so "a few weeks" takes on a new meaning.
benawabe896

Post by benawabe896 »

Hey benawabe, Im from San Jose, and the dealership here says the wait on internationals is a few months. What dealership did you go to in oceanside that was only a few weeks?
Unfortunately that place was blowing smoke. (On a sidenote. I am starting to think the Vespa people there don't want to sell anything other than Vespas, and now that I have a buddy, they don't really want me around... weird) Anyways, I bought mine from Renegade Classics (around Palm Springs California). They still have a St. Tropez available, but that's it for the internationals.