Is the tail light AC or DC?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

averacpa01

Is the tail light AC or DC?

Post by averacpa01 »

I have a 2008 Buddy 125 and was wondering if anyone knows if the tail light is 12V AC or DC. I found out when trying to install a headlight modulator that the head light lamp is AC and therefore the modulator does not work since it requires DC power.
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

I may be wrong but it should, should be all DC.

But, the fact that it runs primarily off the alternator it could cause the current to fluctuate like an AC.

I don't know.

I'd have to hit it with my Fluke.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

DC. That's why you can have a common negative ground like a car does.
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

Dooglas wrote:DC. That's why you can have a common negative ground like a car does.
Thats what I figured, but like I said, a modulator might see it as AC because of the magneto dropping voltage at idle as opposed to WOT.
averacpa01

Post by averacpa01 »

I ordered a Comagination head light modulator. It is a simply plug and play installation. However, the first unit did not work (the head light would not modulate). I sent it back and got another one. The same thing. I tested the headlight leads using my meter set to DC. Voltage was less the a D cell battery (The D cell tested at 1.5v). The voltage also fluctuates with throttle, but never more than 2 volts. It never occured to me to test it for AC.

In speaking with Phil from Comagination and describing my symptoms, he stated that the scooter, like most scooters, probably use AC power for the head lamp. The Buddy's generator is an AC type (stated in the manual). The Buddy also used a rectifier and some other devices to convert AC to DC where needed. I'll be calling Genuine tomorrow to verify. The two modulators I have seen (Custom Dynamics and Comagination) both requires 12 VDC and will not operate using AC power.
luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

All voltages should be DC (voltage and current)....

An alternator produces AC voltage, but it is rectified into DC before it leaves to power up the vehicle (car or whatever). A multi-meter will provide the answer without doubt.