Helmet sizes

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

notselfcreated

Helmet sizes

Post by notselfcreated »

Well, I went to the store and tried on some Exo-700s. I discovered that my head is big. XL, to be exact. I can wear an L, but it's pretty snug. I really should swallow my pride and buy the XL, but it would be easier if I knew I'm not the only one riding around like Marvin the Martian. What size helmets you guys wear, if you're not too shy to say?

By the way, they also had XS sizes there. I looked inside one--geez they're small. My theory is that XS is for formerly non-helmet-wearing accident survivors who don't have much head left to fit in.

EDIT: New, apropos avatar.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

I've always worn medium helmets but my EXO-400 is a small. It's also very snug which is the way I like it. The helmet gets more comfortable every time I wear it and the fact that it's snug also means it's quiet. My wife actually can wear an XS. It's comfy for her once it's on but it is tricky to actually get it on without tearing an ear off.

By the way, both Scorpion models are great helmets. Very comfortable, with a very nice visor system. They also vent better than any helmet I've owned. Fit and finish isn't quite up to Arai standards but it's still very good.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
hermitgirl

Post by hermitgirl »

<.<

I fit into an XS, but like the S better. It's a full face, not sure if that makes a difference.

Do the XLs fit in the seat compartment?
castleton

Post by castleton »

I wear a Medium for most helmets, but for the exo-400 I needed a Large, so you're not alone!

Love the Scorpion--it's lighter than it looks, vents great, and no problem with fogging. The L fits under the seat.
--Pam

"You're not the boss of me, now."
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I have an odd-shaped head. :(
There's a good chance that I'd wear an XXL in this helmet. I'd actually like to try this model on, because I hear it's one of the "roomier" helmets out there.

Is the L tight or just snug? The padding will compress some over time. There's a good guide to "fitment" of these helmets on the Scorpion site, here. The animations on the page are unintentionally amusing.

Just say no to poor helmet fit!
castleton

Post by castleton »

What a riot! :lol:

For me, the large is snug, and does not move independently of my head (as it does for the poor wench in the video!).

I have a wierd-shaped head as well, so was happy when I found this one. The first full-faced helmet I tried was tight in some places, loose in others, and I felt claustrophobic. When I tried on the exo-400 Scorpion, however, it was "just right."

Plus, it comes in orange/silver--way cool.

8)
--Pam

bruiteur

Post by bruiteur »

I have an XL Exo-700 and it fits fine under the seat in my Buddy 125.

It's a great helmet (Both DOT and Snell approved) at a really good price!
nate_v

leeway

Post by nate_v »

this has probably been discussed before, but just how much wiggle room do you have when it comes to sizing? I'm looking at an HJC helmet with a head size of 24 1/4 inches. the top range for an XL helmet is 24 inches. Could I get away with an XL? Will the padding relax after use that much?
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I just got my helmet yesterday (I'll take Buddy delivery in a few days).

It's an XXL Bell Sprint. I hear they run a little small, but I was surprised, even though I know my noggin is big (thick skull). I'm only 5'9 and I was concerned it might even be too tight, but after wearing it during Buddy practice I think it's perfect.

They also had a Small (not children) that fit my little 7 year old girl, who is small for her age but she may have inherited her skull size from the old man.
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: leeway

Post by ericalm »

nate_v wrote:this has probably been discussed before, but just how much wiggle room do you have when it comes to sizing? I'm looking at an HJC helmet with a head size of 24 1/4 inches. the top range for an XL helmet is 24 inches. Could I get away with an XL? Will the padding relax after use that much?
The link I posted above (this one!) has some pretty good guidelines and "fit tests" that work with any helmet.
castleton

Post by castleton »

This has been said before, but that's never stopped me! :wink:

Don't buy a helmet without trying it on first!!! All the measuring in the world doesn't replace the "fit test"--it's really the only way to be sure.
--Pam

gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

castleton wrote:This has been said before, but that's never stopped me! :wink:

Don't buy a helmet without trying it on first!!! All the measuring in the world doesn't replace the "fit test"--it's really the only way to be sure.
Amen! And when you find the one you think fits best, wear it around the store for a while. Unless you only spend 5 or 10 minutes at a time on your scooter, you want the helmet to still feel comfy for as long as your longest ride. 15-20 minutes should do it. You might be surprised. A helmet can feel great after 5 minutes and then start to pinch like hell after 15.

They need to be snug, snug enough that chewing gum with it on is damned near impossible. But you don't want it to be painful.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

My Fulmer Apache is a M and Hubby wears a XXXL.
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"