What do you use to lock your buddy in parking lot/sidewalk?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

chiabuddy

What do you use to lock your buddy in parking lot/sidewalk?

Post by chiabuddy »

Hi Everyone,

FINALLY got my Buddy 125 (black) Friday. (according to my dealer it was the last one made for 2006) I absolutely love it! I've been all over the place, but I've come back home for the car to pick up things from the store, which I don't want to do, but I'm afraid of having my little Buddy stolen.

I've been looking at the lever locks from lockitt.com, but as someone said in a post in the reviews section here, - a determined thief could pick the scooter up and put it in a truck if you only have a lever lock on it. Should I use them along with a second type of lock?

I'm wondering what the best product is for security when out & about? (or combination of different products) Also, do most people park their scooters in a parking space, or park on the sidewalk so the scooter can be chained to something? I'm sorry if these are silly questions, I did some research but still don't have a clue & don't know anyone locally (YET!) who owns a scooter.

Thank you in advance for any advice and nice to 'meet' everyone!

chia
notselfcreated

Post by notselfcreated »

It's not a lock, but this ghetto GPS rig should give you some peace of mind.
ebcspace

scooter lock option

Post by ebcspace »

hello chia... congrats on your new scoot, it's probably the natural maternal instinct to want to protect your buddy...

i picked up a heavy duty cable lock at motorsport scooters,
under the "for the rider" section...

http://www.motorsportscooters.com/

was suggested that the scoot could be locked through the back wheel...

if making a trip to a mall, etc... i wouldn't plan on being gone for too long, especially if parking on a potential sore spot, depending on the security staff and their particular disposition towards motorized bikes, etc. being parked on sidewalks, at bike racks, for example. i think that in general, people have a respect for a person's motor vehicle, scoot or other, though.

once i parked at a certain mall, and was left a "warning" that i should not be parked at the bike racks... my real impression, though, is that most decent people and security out there will not give you any trouble, but proceed with caution.

feel more secure if the scoot is locked, would require extra initiative to take any kind of action against it by any outside party.

also, a cover seems to be a good deterent from would be sitters-on, tamperers, etc... i always use a cover at home when scoot is parked.
motorcycle covers are available at many dealers, and also at auto-parts stores and department stores.

hope this helps with your scootinitiation...
scoot on!
dwnthehatch

Post by dwnthehatch »

I use the OnGuard MASTIFF Noose Chain (5019LP)

paige

Post by paige »

Do you loop this around the floorboards? I have found that no decent cable locks will fit through the spaces on the wheels. I use a GripLock, it seems to work well as a lock and as an obvious antitheft device.
dwnthehatch

Post by dwnthehatch »

I actually don't have a buddy yet. I used it on my Bajaj Chetak, and my kymco people 50, and cobra 50. I should have a buddy 125 by next week.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I have the onguard chain, but mine didn't come with the cinch loop, and that can be a pain.

Also, I find at most places there's nothing to lock it to (I generally use motorcycle parking spaces), so I end up just looping it around the front tire, which I think is too much effort for something they could still carry off. So really, I have just been using it at home.

So I ordered a minigrip.
http://www.immobilize.com/mini-grip.htm

They can still carry it off, but at least I'll be more likely to use it. We'll see how it goes.

Does anyone have any theft statistics on scooters where the tire or the steering column was locked? When we rented scooters, they made sure to tell us to lock the steering column everytime. It seems even throwing one into a truck would be difficult if they can't turn the wheel or roll that tire.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

If a thief really wants your scooter, there's not much you can do. Any security system can be disabled by someone who knows what he's doing.

That said, you don't want to make it easier than it has to be. I always try to park in a visibile spot and I always lock the forks. My preferred place to park is at a bicycle rack. If I can find an accessible rack or anything liike a rack, I'll use a Kryptonite cable lock that's about 4 feet long. I wrap the cable around the steering head so that I have two equal lengths of cable on either side of the steering head. I then start twisting the cables around each other. Typically, 3 twists make it tight enough to keep anyone from pulling the cable over the handlebars. Then I lock the ends to the rack. This is much, much cleaner than locking to a wheel or anyplace low on the scooter's body or frame. I just hate walking into the office or a store with brake dust or road filth all over my hands.

Over the past 4 years, no thefts. Hopefully I'm not asking for trouble now...
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
germ

Post by germ »

If it doesn't lock to something that is grounded I wouldn't use it. My last scooter was stolen right in front of my house. The back tire was locked and the steering column was locked. They must have lifted it right off the ground and out it into a truck. I think that they will do that before they bother cutting a lock. Once they have the bike they have a the time to cut a tire lock. I use a Kryptonite cable lock that rolls up and stores under my seat. But I bring my buddy in the house evey night.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

The biggest potential problem with using things that immobilize your wheels (i.e., something going through the rim), is that you might forget to remove it! Trying to take off with a lock attatched is certain to do some damage- either to your or the scoot. So it might be a good idea to give yourself some sort of reminder on the bars or somethng so that you don't try to ride off with a locked scoot! :oops:
chiabuddy

Wow - THANK YOU!

Post by chiabuddy »

Thank you for all of the great ideas & advice - I didn't expect so many responses so quickly, what a nice suprise!

I have one more question, or kind of an updated version of oneof the other questions:
If you are parking your scooter in an outdoor shopping center, (what are they called - strip malls?) and there are no bike racks or fences, how do you secure your scooter and how long do you feel safe leaving it? Lacking a secure object attached to the ground to lock your scooter to, what is the next best solution?
(can you tell how worried I am about leaving my little Buddy alone even for a minute or two?)

Thank you very very much for all the advice and suggestions!
chia
Show off your Buddy, or any scooter with a custom pendant, cell phone leash, bracelet, ring and LOTS more! Please contact
[admin] [AT] [scooter-charms][DOT][com]
for info.
germ

Post by germ »

My buddy 50 has a motorized bicycle sticker provided by my scooter shop where the license is supposed to go so I usually park on the sidewalk near the front door if it isn't obtrusive. Like near the the newspaper machines or whatever. I don't lock it up. They would have to pick it up and lug it to their truck which should be obvious that they are stealing it. I mostly worry about leaving out all night because that is when my honda was stolen. No one has ever told me anything about parking it off the street. I walk it though as not to draw attention to myself driving on the sidewalk like a maniac. That would freak people out. Don't worry so much. Enjoy your scoot.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Yeah, I read that 92% of thefts occur overnight at home. So at home is where you really want to have something to substantial to lock your scooter to. For parking lots and such, I suspect anything that keeps them from being able to walk off with it should be a good enough deterent and anything visible that you'll actually use is your best choice.

And just a warning: cable locks are notoriously easy to cut. In college the police told everyone to get a U-lock for their bicycles or essentially not to bother.
BoneGirl

Master Lock Python

Post by BoneGirl »

I keep this in my seat case. It's 8 ft long and works great. I usually just run it through my back rear handle or wheel.

http://www.masterlock.com/promos/python ... lock.shtml

As far as parking, I try to park in a spot (up a little close so cars see it). But I also park it up against a wall out of the way at Meijer's Target, etc.
castleton

Post by castleton »

I live in a very quiet area, and parking at my job is blocks from civilization, so I get away with the Grip-Lock:

http://www.grip-lock.com/index.html

It basically just keeps honest people honest.
[/img]
Attachments
grip-lock_colors[1].jpg
grip-lock_colors[1].jpg (29.65 KiB) Viewed 2417 times
--Pam

"You're not the boss of me, now."
Sailn

Post by Sailn »

I have one of the Mastiff locks. Real heavy, real tough to cut. Thing must weight over 15 pounds. I usually keep it tucked into the storage area located in the front. Sometrime uinder the seat. When I lock up the bike, I try to loop the chain around the floor board and then to something. The ulock is big enought to run the chain thru which makes it impossible to slip the chain over the handlebars. If there isn't enought length of chain, there is a loop under the scooter on the exhaust side ( it is not part of the exhaust and doens't get hot) that I use. I almost never leave the scooter unlocked. I always overnight in my garage.

If you register the mastiff lock, you get a 1 year $1000 insurrance policy for theft.

I think the lock was a about 100-125

I have seen people just lock the front wheel, but it just doesn't seem that hard to take off the wheel...1 bolt
dcedce

Post by dcedce »

Use a big chain and secure it to the bike by something other than a wheel. Either wrap it around the floorboard or through some other immovable part of the body. I always locked my last scooter's front wheel to a post with a heavy duty chain and lock. One morning I left for work and discovered that all I had left was the wheel still securely chained to the post. I'm not making that same mistake with the Buddy.
ebcspace

scooter lock option

Post by ebcspace »

just ordered a new york fahgettaboudit chain lock...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GR ... 27?ie=UTF8

will replace my current cable lock as soon as it arrives, and will be looped around frame of scoot underneath, near centerstand on exhaust side. after reading about cable lock vulnerability, i will rest assured.

correction : locking now using the frame near centerstand on the other side of the scooter (not the exhaust side (watch your fingers for the hot pipe there kids !))

:wink:

fahgettaboudit ! ! !
Attachments
kryptonitefahgettaboudit.jpg
kryptonitefahgettaboudit.jpg (10.81 KiB) Viewed 2294 times
scoot on!