tires

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Coach B

tires

Post by Coach B »

Hey gang
I'm new to this list. Just about to pick up a Buddy 125, orange, of course. I've got a Scorpion EXO-400 Tribal, in Blue. And I'm looking to get a padded jacket and gloves.
I've got a question on tires. I like the looks of the Michelin S83, but a friend of mine is going to get the Reggae. Could anyone give me a comparison of these two?
The Coach Scoots
Keys

Post by Keys »

I had a set of Michelin S83's on a Bajaj Chetak. I loved them. They are an excellent all-round tire. Decent in the corners, good in the rain and reasonably priced.

That being said, though, they are very similar to the Continental Zippys (again, a great tire) and I saw a friend go down this last Saturday on his Stella while sporting a set of Zippys. The problem is we were playing boy racer in some tight corners in Oak Creek Canyon between Sedona and Flagstaff...probably 45 on a 25 mph corner. He maxed out the material on the sidewall he was leaning so far. I have the original Cheng Shin tires on my Buddy and didn't have that issue. The bottom line is Tim bit asphalt. He and the Stella both got back up and finished the run, but it made me think twice about my next set of tires. Of course, not everybody rides to the extreme like Tim, Chris and I...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
seth xyl

Post by seth xyl »

ooh ooh you can ask axeyerkitty about the sparks I throw up from the centerstand on good lefties. The Cheng Shins hold the asphalt!

I have had three lowsides on my stella while it had zippy 3's on the ol' split rims, but once I switched to Sava MC18's (recommended), the corners were much more stable.

I had intended to put a racing soft Sava up front and a street MC18 on the back (it won't wear out as fast) but the original Cheng Shins have deserved to stay.
-Seth
2009 Black Jack
2005 Genuine Scooter Stella (Mint Mangle)
1986 Japanese market Honda CBR400R Aero
1987 Yamaha DT50, to be Supermoto'd
2003 KYMCO People 50 (Exile) OYL #77
1996 Kinetic TFR
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

I can definitely attest to the sparks that Seth throws...

And to the scratches on the center stand from such maneuvers. :lol:

I was really impressed that you did it weighing about 2x as much as you normally do as well. :twisted:
Huh? What just happened?
Keys

Post by Keys »

I've actually been considering eliminating the centerstand. Shoot, the scooter is so light I can just pick it up and put it on a milk crate. Haven't decided yet, though. I just hate the thought that one day, instead of just making sparks, I'll actually pivot on the stand and lift the rear wheel. I've seen it done before on a motorcycle. The cartwheel down the tarmac was quite impressive, I must say...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"