A Fond Farewell

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jess

A Fond Farewell

Post by jess »

All,

I've just finished moving Modern Buddy from my account (where Modern Vespa is hosted) to a new server, owned by Eric.

<doctor>
Well, actually, it's the same server. Well, actually, it's the same thousand or so blades in a grid. At the same hosting company. The IP address even stayed the same. But seriously, Modern Buddy now has it's own server.
</doctor>

And with that, I think any "official" involvement I may have allegedly had here is now at a close. I'm going to ask Eric to revoke my admin privileges here, leaving me with just an ordinary user account.

Fly, little website, be free!

-jess
golfinguy

Post by golfinguy »

Jess,

Thanks for setting this up and your hard work in getting it going. This is one of my favorite forums, and I think a lot of others feel the same way.

Eric,

Thanks also for your hard work and diligence. Keep up the good work!!

Dale.
From our wonderful Buddy 50 service manual:
ass’ part loose
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I, for one, welcome our new Taipei overlords.

Thanks, Jess! Thanks, Eric!
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
riancurtis

Post by riancurtis »

big big big thanks. this forum has been so helpful for me.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

When I started shopping around in late summer 2006 for a replacement for my Mojito, I couldn't believe that a site already existed for the Buddy. I had pretty much convinced myself that the time was right for a Vespa LX-150 but the guys at Sportique were really enthusiastic about this new Genuine scoot that they seemed to think was the best value in the small frame market. I'd already been lurking here and over at MV for a while when I test rode an LX-150 and then the Buddy 125 back to back with a People 150. I was so impressed with the Buddy that I bought one on the spot. I had to wait a few hours while mine was uncrated and set up and that's when I finally signed up here and got to folks like Jess, Eric, lobsterman and a host of others.

Looking back now, I'm not sure what it was that Jess, Eric and the other original moderators saw in the Buddy that convinced them it deserved its own site, but it turns out the move was pure genius. Seems like this place grows more in a day now than it did in a month or two in 2006. Thanks for the foresight and effort Jess and good luck. Hope to still see you around these parts...
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
louie

Post by louie »

thanks jess

thanks eric
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

gt1000 wrote:Looking back now, I'm not sure what it was that Jess, Eric and the other original moderators saw in the Buddy that convinced them it deserved its own site, but it turns out the move was pure genius. Seems like this place grows more in a day now than it did in a month or two in 2006. Thanks for the foresight and effort Jess and good luck. Hope to still see you around these parts...
The foresight was 100% Jess. I am MB member #20! I'm pretty sure I first found out about the Buddy from a post on Modern Vespa.

Jess gets credit for a not just our existence but also for creating a model community and developing the original Posting Guidelines which are the basis for how this site is run. MV was started as a flame-free, friendlier and more welcome forum than what was already out there—this tradition lives on here at MB.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Jess- I've got to join in and give a huge thanks to you. This site is easily one of the most helpful and fun scooter forums around. I'm one of those who benefitted from the collective wisdom of you and others long before even owning a Buddy.

And Eric I'm sure this transition will mean great things for MB.com going forward- I'm also sure I speak for everyone when I say that we're ready to give whatever help we all need to keep it going great and deal with the growth of this great community!
teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

You are awesome! Now I have to meet this Eric guy.......
gottascoot

Post by gottascoot »

Even though I have only been a member for what... three days now? I am going to thank you for setting it all of this up as well. I have been lurking for months now..and this forum of people is SO MUCH FUN. Everyone is very considerate of one another, and it's a great information resource to stop by with any questions.. Thanks for making my begining scooter days easier!!

Gottascoot!

-Jay
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Jess, as we say here on the internet...

ILU, BB!

Thanks for all that voodoo that you do. :D
ModBud #442
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

Jess - Thanks for having the foresight to create this forum! I know it has been a tremendous resource for me and shares 50% responsibility (with Val from Sportique!) for me buying a Buddy. I know I want to see it continue to provide great info for others.

-jetboy
"All these things - like telly witch-doctors, and advertising pimps, and show business pop song pirates - they despise us - dig? - they sell us cut-price sequins when we think we're getting diamonds."
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

golfinguy wrote:Jess,

Thanks for setting this up and your hard work in getting it going. This is one of my favorite forums, and I think a lot of others feel the same way.

Eric,

Thanks also for your hard work and diligence. Keep up the good work!!

Dale.
couldn't have said it better.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Thanks for all your work Jess. Due to this site, scores of people get info and perhaps assurance they need to go for it and buy this nice little scoooter. I registered w/in a few days of the site starting and even then with just a handful of us, I was able to get the support I needed to move forward with my purchase a few days later!

Conversely I registered on a Kymco forum to get info for the spouse's peep s200 he ordered and 3 weeks later no one has posted a response. :?

Long live the Budd community!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: A Fond Farewell

Post by jrsjr »

jess wrote:Fly, little website...
Not so little any more actually. :wink:

Modern Vespa - We have 7136 registered users

Modern Buddy - We have 2519 registered users

Seriously Jess, thanks for founding Modern Buddy!
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Mad props to you both.

Thanks a lot, Jess, for getting this going, and thanks a lot, Eric, for running with it! :D 8)
Huh? What just happened?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

MB member #302 checking in!

I was close to buying a Vino 125 when I found out about Buddy. I was talking to my dealer at Surfside Scooters and he highly recommended it. He liked them so much that he bought one for his wife. I found this forum when doing my research and bought the next week!

Thanks Jess for starting a site for the little scooter that could!

Thanks ECalm for taking the reigns and putting up with me!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

Thanks, Jess. Great website; tremendous resource. Eric will do you proud, I'm sure.

I found this after I found my Budd.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."