I completed my MSF course today too

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

avidgirl

I completed my MSF course today too

Post by avidgirl »

I was not allowed to ride my Buddy, though. : (

I passed the exam and did really well in the class. I can honestly say that I'm really, really glad I signed up for the course. My instructors were awesome and I learned so much. I feel like my riding improved greatly and I formed good habits. I now feel like I have the skills to do emergency manuevers and that I'm a safer rider. We really practiced hard and I'm totally exhausted. I must have done at least 20 emergency stops today.

One pleasant suprise came when I got my exam results. My instructor asked what kind of bike I rode and I confessed to owning my Buddy. He was so excited! Turns out he started out riding a Lambretta and really loves scooters.
Leigh

Creme Buddy 125
brat

Post by brat »

WAY TO GO!!! Congrats.

Susan
ScooterMonkey

Post by ScooterMonkey »

Congratulations! :clap: :clown: :clown: :clap:
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Kick ass!

Congrats! :D
Huh? What just happened?
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

congrats! I was really suffering watching some of the people do it on the motorcycle. the stalls, the drop, the tears, the quitting! good job!
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

You GO GIRL!!!!! :clap:
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
castleton

Post by castleton »

Excellent! Passed mine during the dog days of August here in CT. I feel your pain--and joy! Well done.
--Pam

"You're not the boss of me, now."
tam

Post by tam »

When I took my test at the end of the course, one of the girls (who hadn't been doing all that well the entire course) took a spill. It was during the sweeping cornering test. She didn't slow down before the corner and just leaned into it very abruptly, going way too fast. Lowsided it and smacked her face into the tarmac. Open faced helmet too. She was alright, but bleeding, and not very happy, poor girl..

Any idea why they didn't let you take it on the scooter? Is it because you had to use one of their bikes? I can see how the scooter would almost be like cheating, but it is legally a motorcycle, so it shouldn't be a problem...

congrats though
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Congrats! I know you can take the course on a 150 scooter here in CA. I hope they'll allow the Buddy, which I was planning on riding for the course.
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

I was allowed to use mine down here in OKCity, no problem. There were 3 (?) others in the class at the same time. I took mine in June so I don't quite remember :nerd:
bruiteur

Post by bruiteur »

I took the course on my Buddy a couple weeks ago. Obviously a lot easier without worrying about shifting. The one area that's just a bit harder is slow maneuvering without braking, since you can't use a low gear. It's more than made up for by the smaller tires--but you are constantly jiggling the throttle to maintain a low speed.

The instructors were quite nice, and very impressed with the brakes.

Good Luck!
avidgirl

Post by avidgirl »

tam wrote: Any idea why they didn't let you take it on the scooter? Is it because you had to use one of their bikes? I can see how the scooter would almost be like cheating, but it is legally a motorcycle, so it shouldn't be a problem...
It seems it is open to interpretation for each state. I sent a letter off to the person in charge of the CT motorcycle safety program but didn't get an answer.

Who can plumb the depths of government reasoning?

I'm glad I took the class and I really learned a lot. I honestly do feel like I'm a better rider for having learned those skills, even if I won't have to utilize the shifting and clutch techniques for control.

For those who can take the class on your scooter, I envy you! And my tendon in my left wrist envies you too!
Leigh

Creme Buddy 125
castleton

Post by castleton »

I wrote the CT motorcycle guy also, and also received no response. What up with that???

Anyways, the course was awesome, even on a beat up Kawasaki 125. One girl in our class hit the throttle instead of the clutch, bumped a curb and laid it down. She broke her wrist. Her brother was taking the course at the same time, and he told us she was probably not going to retake the course anytime soon.

But the other 10 of us became even more safety-conscious afterwards! Even the Harley dudes.
--Pam

"You're not the boss of me, now."
hangukhurley

Post by hangukhurley »

Congrats, Leigh! What a wondeful feeling!!!

I live in Minnesota and I was able to ride my Honda Elite 80 when I took my class at the beginning of June. I was the only one who had their own bike, let alone scooter. Everyone else was going to buy a motorcycle. I know of at least three people who didn't pass their test. I didn't stick around to see if everybody passed though. As soon as I found out that I passed, the other instructor gave me a hi-5 and I took off on my scooter. I only live about five minutes away from the tech college. I was exhausted when I was done, but it was such a good kind of exhaustion! :D
- hangukhurley & Frenchy...Pretty in Pink!
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

OK, since the CT folks have weighed in on the coordinator there, I need to give credit where credit is due to Bob Secrest, the Coordinator for Motorcycle Ohio.

I sent Bob an email asking about getting more classes added this year, and he responded very promptly (like maybe half an hour) and told me who I could ask and suggested I try a walk-in (which I will do tomorrow night).

Since he was so helpful, I asked him about using my own scooter, and he told me to send him an email with my scooter make/model, insurance carrier name, and why I wanted to use my own bike. I did so in a reply email, and within a few hours I had my official permission to use my Buddy in the class.

So, let me just say... in Ohio we have a coordinator who pays attention and is helpful. Thanks Bob!
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

First off, congrats to avidgirl for taking and passing the test. The MSF class is physically demanding and anyone taking and passing it should feel good about themselves. There's no doubt it makes you a better rider, that's why I feel so strongly about all riders taking the class, even if you're intent on sticking with a 50.

I'm constantly seeing scooter and motorcycle riders who haven't taken the class. First tip-off is how they take turns. If the rider isn't looking through the turn it's pretty obvious they're self-taught. Frankly, this scares me, for them and for the people (or dogs, or curbs or whatever) they're going to hit. I see it more often in the canyons when I'm following other motorcyclists. But today I saw a fellow scooterist with bad form and I almost paid the price. I was waiting at a stoplight and he was coming up from the left on the other street. He made a right onto my street and, while he wasn't looking at me, he didn't look though the turn and he went very wide, almost crossing into my lane. He was only going about 10 mph so the risks were relatively low, but he's still taking a risk he doesn't need to take. And, if he did go too wide, he could've hit me and that's definitely a risk I'm not willing to take.

I'd like to see scooter shops do more to hook customers up with the local MSF classes. I'd also like to see scooter specific MSF classes, because not everyone wants a motorcycle. And, in my opinion, mixing scooters and motorcycles in the same class isn't the way to go (I'll try to explain this in another response or a new topic).

But for now, with the way the laws are set up, the one thing I do know is that the approximately $200 you'll spend on an MSF class is the best money you'll ever spend, if you're committed to riding on two wheels. Do yourself and your family a favor and sign up as soon as possible.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

$200 wow. it is $25 in Ohio, subsidized by state obviously. I guess they are tired of scraping us up off the highway so they figured more people would take the course if it were very affordable.
casey

Post by casey »

I am taking the basic motorcycle class this weekend. Lucky for me, it's at a place that offers scooters for people who want to take it on them. In Texas, if you take the course, you don't have to take the driving part of the motorcycle test, so that's good for me until I can buy my scooter.

I am a little embarrassed over how nervous I am. This is a bit out of my comfort zone. Okay, it's a lot out of my comfort zone.
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

casey wrote:I am taking the basic motorcycle class this weekend. Lucky for me, it's at a place that offers scooters for people who want to take it on them. In Texas, if you take the course, you don't have to take the driving part of the motorcycle test, so that's good for me until I can buy my scooter.

I am a little embarrassed over how nervous I am. This is a bit out of my comfort zone. Okay, it's a lot out of my comfort zone.

I have faith in you and you'll do just fine. I have to admit that I was very unnerved myself when I took the course. I can assure you that the instructers have a way of making you feel at ease. And, remember that you're not the only beginner in the class.
louie

Post by louie »

The MSF course was the first time for me on any kind of motor bike. It was incredible. I'm 47 so not willing to take much of a chance on hurting these older body parts. I feel even more comfortable with my "emerging" skills learned at MSF after viewing the 16 accounts of crashes on the "who has crashed" thread; only 3 had taken the course. Don't let it deter you if you're not allowed to practice on a scooter. The data here suggusts it doesn't matter what you ride when taking the course. Of course the MSF has their own data that show the same thing.
Last edited by louie on Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

casey,

Don't sweat it. The course is not a walk in the park, but it's not really hard either. It's challenging, but if you're motivated you'll do fine.

You can do it. I did, and I never rode a motorcycle or scooter prior to October of this year.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

As everyone is saying, you'll do fine. Everyone is nervous on test day, doesn't matter whether you're a novice or seasoned pro. Just relax, do the drills and don't worry about being perfect. You don't need to be anywhere near perfect to pass the test.

Just remember that once you do pass, you're really only competent to ride on closed courses and parking lots. All of us still have lots to learn and I practice certain drills at least once a week. Keep honing your skills and you'll be surprised at how much (and how fast) you'll improve as a rider.

Good luck!
Andy

rablack

Post by rablack »

casey wrote:I am taking the basic motorcycle class this weekend. Lucky for me, it's at a place that offers scooters for people who want to take it on them. In Texas, if you take the course, you don't have to take the driving part of the motorcycle test, so that's good for me until I can buy my scooter.
Casey - where are you taking the course in Houston? I've been meaning to sign up.
LeopardGirl

Post by LeopardGirl »

Passed the MSF course yesterday!! Taking the course was one of the smartest things I've ever done. I learned so much. The instructors at OSU-OKC were fantastic. This was my third attempt--not because of failure but because of weather. I was starting to feel jinxed. The first class date (in Dec.) was postponed because of an ice storm. The new class was to be in Jan. Guess what? That one was iced out too. This time the weather just threatened rain and wind. The rain didn't happen but the wind chill factor made for 2 days of a$$ bitin' cold. I still haven't warmed up!! It was definitely worth it for the skills I developed, though.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

LeopardGirl,

Congratulations!

I know just how you feel, I was approaching hypothermia myself at the end of the first day on the range at my MSF class.

It was worth it for me and I'm sure over time you'll find it was worth it for you too, even more than you do now.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Mr. Met

Post by Mr. Met »

I'm taking the course this weekend. I have basically zero experience, other than bicycle riding, which I appreciate may not count for anything. Any sage words of advice going in to the course?

I'm going to be doing it at the Denver Coliseum - should I plan on that being outdoors like you folks seem to have had it?
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

The Coliseum? I'm guessing it might be inside because the MSF classes are usually held at the various Community Colleges. At Red Rocks and Front Range, the range portions of the class are held in huge parking lots. Maybe at the Coliseum they can move the range inside if the weather is bad.

As far as advice goes, check the MSF and Abate websites. On one of them you can find descriptions of all the range exercises as well as sample questions from the written test. Go through the sample questions a couple of times and then you won't have to worry at all about the written portion of the test and can concentrate on the range exercises.

When you're on the range, listen like your life depends on it and don't worry about what others around you are doing. Relax, take your time and have fun. This can be a very fun and rewarding weekend for you. You start slowly and work up to more difficult exercises gradually but it seems to all happen very quickly. One minute you're pushing the bikes around the range and the next minute you're trying to do figure 8's in a tiny box.

Everyone you talk to has problems with certain exercises. For some, it's the panic stop. For others, the figure 8's. Some folks refuse to lean. Listen, trust your instructors, listen, trust your bike and listen. You don't need to be perfect to pass but doing certain things will fail you for sure.

I loved the class I took at Red Rocks. I could handle pretty much everything they threw at me except the figure 8. I just couldn't get the hang of it on the cruiser style bike I was using. Later, I realized this was because I couldn't counter balance with the forward positioned footpegs. I blew it big time but didn't put my foot down, so I easily passed the test.

Let us know how it goes. I'll be curious to hear who your instructors were. Good luck!
Andy

LeopardGirl

Post by LeopardGirl »

Losterman,

Thanks! It's good to know I have a "popsicle" soul mate out there. BrRRR.

Mr. Met,

The class is set up for people with no experience so don't worry. One of the students had a hard time finding the gears but if you have any experience with a standard transmission in a car that will be no problem. If you don't have that experience don't worry, it's easier to shift on a bike. Plus, the clutch will be helpful. I could have taken the course on the scoot but a few people here suggested using the regular bikes because of the clutch. The only advantage I can see to the scoot would be the box.

If you will be outside dress in layers. The first day was more physically challenging than the second day for me. We had to manually maneuver the bikes for a while. After horsing the bike around I started to sweat. It was good to be able to take off a layer. Warm gloves are essential. It's tough to work the controls with cold hands.

Everything gt1000 said plus I would add to just relax and have fun. The final evaluation isn't bad. I also had trouble with the box but other people did fine. I got a 91% on the driving exam. Don't sweat the written. I made 100% without any additional "cramming".

The most important thing to remember is to keep your head up and look ahead to where you want to go. That helps a lot. The instructors will keep reminding you so keep that in mind.

Good luck and have fun. You'll be glad you took the course. I'm going to take the advanced course in the near future.
Mr. Met

Post by Mr. Met »

Thanks for the tips - I was planning to take the course on a scooter but now I'm thinking I might as well do the full cycle thing. I've heard scooters are basically easier to ride - is that the right approach?
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

The right approach is really up to you.

I chose to do the MSF on my scooter because I was new to both the BD125 and scootering, I wanted maximum experience on the bike I would ride every day. Others feel you should use the bikes provided there and learn to ride with a clutch and get a more general motorcycle experience.

It's not a right/wrong thing, more a personal preference.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
louie

Post by louie »

I'm itching to take the advance course also and i only took the basic in October. The instructor said the advanced course is very similar with an aceleration in speed on everything by 5 or 10 mph...plus there is a track layout that is super groovy. Instructor said he does it quite often for fun and practice.
LeopardGirl

Post by LeopardGirl »

louie,

I plan to let the weather warm up before taking the advanced. Maybe April. I've had enough of the cold for a while. At least I now know it's not so bad to scoot in the cold for my short commute. Let us know what you think of the advanced course when you take it. Has anyone taken the advanced yet?
louie

Post by louie »

LeopardGirl wrote:louie,

I plan to let the weather warm up before taking the advanced. Maybe April. I've had enough of the cold for a while. At least I now know it's not so bad to scoot in the cold for my short commute. Let us know what you think of the advanced course when you take it. Has anyone taken the advanced yet?
LeopardGirl, I should explain my cold tolerance is quite low. Originally i thought I'd ride down to about 40 but it seems to be 50 at least. I'm not outfitted so much for cold weather. In any case there isn't an advanced class offered in Alabama this month. I'll definately wait for it to warm up...ok, i know i'm a wuss but it can be really cold until April at least.
LeopardGirl

Post by LeopardGirl »

louie,

My commute is only a mile so before I get too cold the ride is over. Believe me, after this past weekend I don't think you're a wuss. One of the things they said in class is that you are a better, more aware rider when you are comfortable so stick to your comfort level. Safe is good. I think it's a smart rider who knows what level of discomfort they are willing to accept. If you're comfortable the ride is fun and not torture and fun is one of the reasons to ride. We all have something we aren't too keen on doing. I know I am not willing to ride in rain.
EBee

Post by EBee »

LeopardGirl wrote:Has anyone taken the advanced yet?
My husband signed up for the advanced in March...I will let you know what he thinks.

I am with The Lobsta. I have asked permission to use my scoot in the beginners (May) because I want to get the max out of my Buddy, and I'm new to scootering altogether. I am looking forward to it but the 7 hour long class sounds grueling. I'm waiting til May to get warmer weather and a few more hours bonding with my Bud. :wink:

Good luck!
"If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."--Steven Wright
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

EBee wrote:I am looking forward to it but the 7 hour long class sounds grueling.
I think it depends on your overall health and endurance. For me I would have described it as tiring rather than grueling. I am 43 and healthy but not exactly fit. When I was 20 I wouldn't have even noticed the effort.

The weather makes a difference. On day 1 for us (in November), it was cold and windy. The combined effort of learning new information with the physical effort and the wind and cold was very fatiguing. Day 2 was quite nice out and for me much easier.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Weather conditions certainly make a difference. I've ridden for years and had a motorcycle endorsement for many years, before giving it up when we moved in the mid-80's. After a few years on a 50, I decided I really missed 2 wheeling and wanted my endorsement back. The quickest way to get that "M" on my license was to sign up for the MSF class, which I did last summer. I can't remember when I registered, but by the time my class rolled around in late July we were in the middle of an intense heat wave. Air temps were in the low 100's by 10 am and the sun was brutal. Now picture the range: giant blacktop parking lot with no shade. I'll bet it was easily 200 degrees at 1:00 pm, at least it felt like it. :wink:

We took a vote and decided to start the class an hour early, which helped a bit. But I'm quite sure we all made mistakes we normally wouldn't have made. And I was wasted at the end of the weekend. It can be grueling and high heat or intense cold will add to the stress.

Bottom line? Despite being a long time rider I learned a lot. I managed to pick up some bad habits over the years. And despite the horrendous weather, the class was truly fun. Plus, I lost a few pounds! :lol:
Andy

louie

Post by louie »

OK, I've posted about this before...wait...one of them was this thread. My first experience on 2 wheels was BRC. I'm 47 and in ok shape (for 47) and the class was one of the most exhilerating things I've done in years (excluding...).
It doesn't matter what you take it on you are learning how to learn and it translates onto the scooter. I couldn't do the box but i learned how to practice it. I do it everytime i get on my scoot in the parking lot across the alley, it's paved with 20x20 foot slabs of concrete.
Take the class, it's fun.
Janine
Mr. Met

Post by Mr. Met »

Just finished Day 1. Got 100% on the written portion and flawlessly executed the first 7 exercises, but still haven't been taught the secret handshake.

I ran into a little problem the instructor referred to as "a little bit of a meltdown" on exercise number 8, which called for downshifting to 2nd gear prior to entering a turn, and upshifting to 3rd halfway through it. I'm not sure why he said that - about the meltdown - other than the fact that my bike seemed like it wanted to cough up a hairball the whole time.

Motorcycles are great and all but I'm still leaning towards the scooter, so all that shifting is just for shifts and giggles anyway. I saw a nice looking one, I think called the BCX (?), which I believe was a 150.

There were only 3 other people in my class today so we each got plenty of attention. Looking forward to tomorrow...
Last edited by Mr. Met on Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LeopardGirl

Post by LeopardGirl »

Way to go Mr. Met!! Sounds like you won't have trouble passing. I had trouble getting into neutral. Some quirk of the bike they told me. Just a thought, is it possible you are in 3rd and 4th instead of 2nd and 3rd gears? If you are in too high a gear the engine will act just like you described, too low a gear and the engine won't sputter, it will whine.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Even 3rd gear is too high a gear for MSF speeds. Most motorcycles are seriously lugging in 3rd gear at 20mph.
Andy

lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Mr. Met wrote:Just finished Day 1. Got 100% on the written portion and flawlessly executed the first 7 exercises, but still haven't been taught the secret handshake.
The secret handshake is end of day 2 after the test. I messed up on the figure 8 piece in the test after doing it perfectly every time in the exercises, but did well enough overall to still pass. I think I was exhausted by the time we did the test.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Mr. Met

Post by Mr. Met »

Just finished day 2. They told me the lacerated left thumb I got from releasing the clutch without giving it any gas was, in fact, the secret handshake. Color me surprised. (j/k - it's not lacerated - gotta watch that though, I did give it a nice slam.)

Anyway - I was just like the lobsta - except I was so unskilled at the figure 8 that the instructor told me that I only lost 5 points on that part for going out of lines, regardless of the number of times I went out of the lines. Ha!

I'm exhausted and surprisingly sunburnt now. I'm really glad I did the course, and would have been even if I hadn't passed it (which I did, just barely, apparently), but I should say the course sort of reinforced my idea that I should go with a scooter. A 125 is probably going to end up being juuust right. I can't wait to go test drive some!

Thanks to those who recommended the course - that was a good call.
LeopardGirl

Post by LeopardGirl »

Congrats!!! Mr. Met, well done. Proudly wear your injury as a badge of honor.

When I was handed my certificate one of the instructors said jokingly I could get a "real" motorcyle now. I smiled sweetly and said I would consider it when they get 100mpg. I got no more such remarks after that. :wink:
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

I'm exhausted and surprisingly sunburnt now. I'm really glad I did the course, and would have been even if I hadn't passed it (which I did, just barely, apparently), but I should say the course sort of reinforced my idea that I should go with a scooter. A 125 is probably going to end up being juuust right. I can't wait to go test drive some!
First of all, congrats. The MSF class isn't easy and riding well isn't easy either. You've taken the first step and now your fully qualified to ride two wheelers in parking lots. With a little practice and some experience under your belt, you'll get better and better. And it can happen surprisingly fast, especially with the right bike.

Your last sentence says it all. You'll get that "M" on your license and then you can start test riding all the bikes that appeal to you. Lots of places in Denver offer test rides but many don't. You already know about Sportique and the bikes they have. It should be nice and warm this week, swing by and start riding. The neighborhoods around Sportique are great for scooting. And if you're not sure about some of the other dealerships in town, PM me and I'll share what I think I know. Have fun and be careful out there.
Andy

Mr. Met

Post by Mr. Met »

You've taken the first step and now your fully qualified to ride two wheelers in parking lots.
LOL - that's exactly how I feel about it too! I definitely need more experience riding before I'd be confident to just jump on the bike and go somewhere. I do have a healthy respect though for two things that I got out of the course:

1) Always keep your head and eyes UP and pointed in the direction you want to go (as opposed to the direction you're currently going),

and 2) Never hit the brake while in the middle of a turn.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Well done Mr. Met!

The course is excellent, and being qualified to ride in parking lots is way more than most Harley riders can say. :P

There is no substitute for experience, and the only way to get experience on the road is to ride on the road. It is like diving from the high board, the only way to get confidence is to do it a few times and discover that you really can.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Mr. Met

Post by Mr. Met »

Thanks to all for the kind comments. Are all scooter owners this nice or is this community just particularly awesome?
Keys

Post by Keys »

Trust me, Mr. Met, it is just this community. You go to some of the others, like BBS and you'll get your eyebrows singed off before the page is finished opening! This is a particularly decent group of people...I look forward to visiting with them each day.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
BoneGirl

Scooter Community

Post by BoneGirl »

Hi, Mr. Met! Cincinnati has a scooter club, XYL (Ten Year Lates), and there are scooterists with all makes and models of scooters as well as the people who ride them! My husband and I joined right away after buying our Buddys. It is a great community to be a part of. There are always going to be scooter snobs and those that are only about "look at me". Of course, we have quite a few of these types. But generally speaking, the folks who get out and actually ride their scooters as often as possible are very down-to-earth and fun. I have found the majority of them will do anything for each other. Membership is free and the friends we have made are well...priceless!!

www.tenyearlates.com