Don't be dumb like me when walking your scooter, could hurt

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Glen G

Don't be dumb like me when walking your scooter, could hurt

Post by Glen G »

Was walking my scooter today , in shorts, and the rear kick stand in the up position cut right into my leg...cut like a knife...loooong and deep. Made about a 3" cut before I decided I should stop pushing!

Suggestion, pay attention or wear paints (sorry PANTS)... :nerd: Toto, that means you!

Watch that rear kick stand!
Last edited by Glen G on Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

Weeeeeeellllll, Mr. Glenn,
FYI, I wear pants when near my scooter, and I am mostly attentive. . .but tell me more about the paints so I can consider them. . . :wink:

And was there a sharp piece on your kickstand??? What in the world cut you? :( Hope you had some hydrogen peroxide and triple antibiotic handy.
~Celebrate~
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

If you are riding without pants, it might be a good idea to paint yourself up pretty good.
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

Whether paints or pants, they only help some. I was wearing pants when my calf got pinned under the step for the center stand while I was walking my Buddy. It HURT. What resulted looks like an isolated patch of road rash.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I honestly cannot begin to imagine how this happens. Please indulge me and tell us the motions involved in this. I wear shorts when I'm "working" on the buddy (but not riding) and I've moved it several times. If there's a specific series of movements that lead to a surprise goring, I'd like to know about it ahead of time!

I hope you're feeling better, and if it's something off-kilter, I hope you've gotten it sorted out without further incident.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

For me, it was walk the Buddy standing to the left of it (i.e., not straddling the Buddy). Face forward, walk close to the Buddy. My right leg trailed enough to get caught under the step for the center stand - and because of the angle of my trailing leg, the center stand-step could ride up my leg a little bit and I literally got pinned for a moment under the partial weight of the Buddy. Did I already say OUCH?
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

Lostmycage wrote:I honestly cannot begin to imagine how this happens. Please indulge me and tell us the motions involved in this. If there's a specific series of movements that lead to a surprise goring, I'd like to know about it ahead of time!
Okay, I have to admit this made me giggle quite a bit and, yes, I am also pretty visual so I am trying to see what occurred that involved getting calf-crunched and leg-gouged. Oh, :shock: just to clarify, the calf-crunching and leg-gouging didn't make me giggle, but Lostmycage's word picture was too much!
~Celebrate~
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Heh, sorry 'bout that. I've got an odd style of writing. I'm a fan of tongue-in-cheek, pun, off-color references and (here's the kicker) clarity an very specific descriptions.

That all being said, I'm sorry to hear about your mis-step, Greencountry. It seems that the Buddy, being all perky and joy-inspiring; tends to take away from others' (and often our own) perspective as a piece of engineered machinery - complete with not so cute, but functional and discretely sharp parts. I hope your injury wasn't too severe, and more so, won't take time away from your riding season. I also kinda want to point out (not saying that you didn't use them) that having a pair of tall safety-boots, can come in handy. Then again, sometimes there's just that perfect setup for the random piece of metal to slice through anything near it; temperature, weather, wind, humidity, astral alignment and blood-sugar levels all taken into consideration.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

greencountry wrote:For me, it was walk the Buddy standing to the left of it (i.e., not straddling the Buddy). Face forward, walk close to the Buddy. My right leg trailed enough to get caught under the step for the center stand - and because of the angle of my trailing leg, the center stand-step could ride up my leg a little bit and I literally got pinned for a moment under the partial weight of the Buddy. Did I already say OUCH?
Wow. Thanks for describing what happened. That certainly helps me think to be more careful whenever I might be walking my Buddy because I have walked it exactly the way you described but never imagined that an injury could happen from something like that.

"OUCH" is right. :( Sorry you were injured, and glad it wasn't worse with you getting pinned for a bit. Like Lostmycage, I hope it hasn't effected your ability to ride.
~Celebrate~
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Re: Don't be dumb like me when walking your scooter, could h

Post by ScooterDave »

Glen G wrote:Was walking my scooter today , in shorts, and the rear kick stand in the up position cut right into my leg...cut like a knife...loooong and deep. Made about a 3" cut before I decided I should stop pushing!

Suggestion, pay attention or wear paints... :nerd: Toto, that means you!

What were you thinking? AGATT dude. How dare you be on this forum and wear shorts while doing anything with your scoot. I bet you were wearing a muscle shirt as well.

Dave
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Don't be dumb like me when walking your scooter, could h

Post by ericalm »

ScooterDave wrote:
Glen G wrote:Was walking my scooter today , in shorts, and the rear kick stand in the up position cut right into my leg...cut like a knife...loooong and deep. Made about a 3" cut before I decided I should stop pushing!

Suggestion, pay attention or wear paints... :nerd: Toto, that means you!

What were you thinking? AGATT dude. How dare you be on this forum and wear shorts while doing anything with your scoot. I bet you were wearing a muscle shirt as well.

Dave
Great, just what we needed. Dave, are you here for any reason other then to start crap?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
TXscoot

Post by TXscoot »

The same thing happened to me while moving my wife's buddy from one side of the driveway to the other. I lost some skin and had a pretty good bruise for about a week. To make matters worse, it happened again a few weeks later. Yup, I'm a slow learner.
docutech

Post by docutech »

I made a boo boo yesterday as well.

I figured I would practice kick-starting Pauly. With the stand up and seated on the seat, I kicked my leg down to start it and my shin was burried into the kickstand. OUCH! I have a nice bruise and cut on my shin now. :cry:

I will stick with the push button start for now...
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

docutech wrote:I made a boo boo yesterday as well.

I figured I would practice kick-starting Pauly. With the stand up and seated on the seat, I kicked my leg down to start it and my shin was burried into the kickstand. OUCH! I have a nice bruise and cut on my shin now. :cry:

I will stick with the push button start for now...
I mean this as a sincere question: what is the proper way to kickstart? The way I was shown, you stand off the scooter to its left, left hand on rear break and right hand on the rear somewhere, then with the foot jam down on the kickstart like you would for the center stand, only harder and "kick" rather than "press." My wife saw me do it and said, "Why don't you do it while sitting on the seat?" Made me wonder.

BTW thanks to all for the sympathies, luckily I was wearing pants and just got a little road-rash looking thing. Still kinda hurts, but no gash, no stitches.
sotied

Post by sotied »

+1 ATGATT

I'm even geared up when I blather on Modern Buddy.

In fact, I wear ATGATT when I listen to sctrcst podcast, read Scoot Magazine and even when I'm looking at the Scooterworks flyer.

What's nice is that my girlfriend loves when she can't hear me yammer endlessly because I've got my helmet on with faceshield down.
UrbanBuddy82

Post by UrbanBuddy82 »

I did notice that after a bit of use, the center stand or kick stand can get sharp on the pad that actually touches the ground. it could scrape your leg if you got too close to it.
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

I am curious. Is this sharp bit that cut you something that could be coated in some of that paint on rubber stuff. Like you dip tools into to coat their handles? Or perhaps have it coated in bedliner or something to take the edge off?

Maybe that would take the sharpness out of the equation for when you are moving the Buddy around. And keep you from cutting your leg, ripping your pants, or similar.
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
Glen G

sorry Pants

Post by Glen G »

Sorry, yes PANTS Toto!

and Greencountry has it exactly right above. Was walking the scoot to a spot, while on the left of it, and the stand cut my right leg..... I'm limping today but I'll live :cry:

Idea, they may want to smooth down that edge in production or use extra PAINT LOL

Thanks all.

... and yet another reason to wear pants....Plus better for public appearance.
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

You also have to watch out for the flesh burning tail pipe when walking a bike. I've got a few scars from my younger days when I'd try to squeeze it into a tight spot. I hate the smell of burning flesh.
greencountry

Re: sorry Pants

Post by greencountry »

Glen G wrote:Sorry, yes PANTS Toto!

and Greencountry has it exactly right above. Was walking the scoot to a spot, while on the left of it, and the stand cut my right leg..... I'm limping today but I'll live :cry:

Idea, they may want to smooth down that edge in production or use extra PAINT LOL

Thanks all.

... and yet another reason to wear pants....Plus better for public appearance.
At any future rallies we should all roll up our pant legs so we can use our battlescars as ID cards. :)
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

sotied wrote:+1 ATGATT

I'm even geared up when I blather on Modern Buddy.

In fact, I wear ATGATT when I listen to sctrcst podcast, read Scoot Magazine and even when I'm looking at the Scooterworks flyer.

What's nice is that my girlfriend loves when she can't hear me yammer endlessly because I've got my helmet on with faceshield down.
I go so far as to wear my helmet to bed in case I dream about my Buddy.